The Student Room Group

Would you be confident for your husband to watch the birth of your child?

Loads of people might say yes because everyone in their family did but as an individual, would you?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Loads of people might say yes because everyone in their family did but as an individual, would you?

The days of the husband pacing up and down outside the delivery room and then handing out cigars to celebrate are long gone. Husbands seem to be expected to be in the delivery room now amongst the blood and guts, and it would almost be caddish to attempt to extricate oneself from it.

Truth be told: I'd much rather not see all that.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
No, I wouldn’t want him with me
Don't want to get married and don't want children, so no on both fronts :lol:
I have spent enough years lambing to know what goes on and isn't pretty, I wouldn't want to be there :puke:
No. I wouldn't want to see it nevermind have anyone else witness it. :lol:
For most people on this forum the idea of childbirth alone will be difficult to get their head around, let alone who is watching it, so I wouldn't be surprised if most say no to this question on here.

The reality is that the question doesn't reflect what actually happens. Husbands shouldn't be "watching" the birth of their child. Your husband/partner should be there to support you through labour, not just sit in a corner until it's all over. Providing it's done right, that sort of support can be a significant help through what is a difficult process both physically and emotionally. Now if you don't want your husband there at all, that's fine, but the majority of women do when it comes down to it. This question for most women should actually be that when you are giving birth (i.e. right at the end), where is your husband actually physically going to be? In other words, head end, or the other end? Personally I would entirely understand most women wanting their husbands to be at the head end, and honestly would expect most men to want to be at the head end as well, not just because they do not want to see the actual process of birth*, but because the head end is where you can provide the best support, which is why you are there.

So yeah, in practice most women will want their husband/significant other in the room with them not to watch, but to support them. The "watch or not to watch" question really matters at the point of birth, and the answer will be "no" for most women and husbands.

*Just to add one point to this. This is not really because it's gross, because during childbirth quite a lot happens that is gross regardless of where you're stood. It's because watching your partner go through labour is a very difficult thing to do anyway. It is, after all, a process by which your loved one will be in a significant amount of pain, and that is not easy to go through even if you're not the one feeling the pain. Watching the actual birth is the epitome of that. It is not a nice thing to see happen to your other half, and when you can be at the other end helping them to go through it, most will go with that option.
What hasn't been mentioned is the 1/4 women defecate during giving birth. I rather not see a massive dump. :|
One life tearing through another, nature at it's most brutal. No man or woman should be forced to see that.
I would probably want him to be holding my hand, but he wouldn’t need to be at the business end of things.
Original post by Reality Check
The days of the husband pacing up and down outside the delivery room and then handing out cigars to celebrate are long gone. Husbands seem to be expected to be in the delivery room now amongst the blood and guts, and it would almost be caddish to attempt to extricate oneself from it.

Truth be told: I'd much rather not see all that.

i know this isn't relevant to the question but how do you have such a wide and impressive vocabulary?
Original post by yotsr123
i know this isn't relevant to the question but how do you have such a wide and impressive vocabulary?

He uses the dictionary as casual reading, he even has a waterproof copy for shower reading.
Original post by Anonymous

I have heard that two people are allowed inside the room.

I am not going to lie but I wont want to be there. I’d rather my Mrs brought in her mother and sister/best friend while I wait outside in the waiting room. Once, it is all done, I will gone inside to thank the Doctors/Nurses and shake their hands for a job well done.
If my wife wanted me there I’d be there to support her no questions asked, if he by her side helping her through it all
Original post by Greywolftwo
If my wife wanted me there I’d be there to support her no questions asked, if he by her side helping her through it all

And if she laid a log while giving birth? *Chortles* :biggrin:
I'd want him in the room and if he chose to look than that's his choice, after all it would be our child not just mine
Original post by Greywolftwo

by her side holding her hand is a fine place to be, just don't go wandering down the other end of the bed, you don't need to see blood and guts.
Original post by Cantab_UCL
And if she laid a log while giving birth? *Chortles* :biggrin:

Umm
Reply 18
I was recently in the room but stayed up at the top end. No amount of money could have made me take a look down the business section..
Original post by aciana
by her side holding her hand is a fine place to be, just don't go wandering down the other end of the bed, you don't need to see blood and guts.

Nope

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending