The Student Room Group

Gilmore Girls: Official Disucussion Thread

:coffee: It’s that time of year again when I start my yearly re-watch of Gilmore Girls. :coffee:

This is one of the TV shows I could watch time and time again and never get bored of. I love the characters and story-lines, and I’m pretty much still wishing I lived in Stars Hollow.

Spoiler

So, fellow Gilmore fans, I have some questions for you…

1) Favourite Gilmore Girls character?
2) Which character do you identify the most with
3) Favourite Gilmore Girls episode
4) Favourite Gilmore Girls scene?
5) Have you seen “A Year in the Life?” If so, what did you think?
6) Favourite Gilmore Girls coupling, whether romantic or platonic?
7) What’s the best ‘running joke’ in the series?
8) How many times have you watched the series?
9) What questions do you still want answered?

05a0c45599816fce60c77c169199e96b.jpg

Scroll to see replies

Still need to watch it :emo:
To answer the questions in the OP:

Lane Kim! She embodies so much of what makes Gilmore Girls great. She's loyal and a great friend. She cares deeply for her family but makes her own path in life. She loves music and is also a badass drummer - as a drummer myself I loved her portrayal in the series.

Although, I wish they'd given her more of a storyline in A Year in the Life. I also love Lorelai too, ofc. :heart:

Season 1-2 Rory Gilmore! I found as the series went on she became more and more problematic but, early seasons book loving Rory was pretty much me at 16.

This is a really difficult one for me to answer! I much prefer the earlier seasons, but my favourite episode overall is probably Bon Voyage from Season 7. It shows the amazing community that has built up around Lorelai and Rory in Stars Hollow and since all of the best characters are there I'd have to choose this one. It also makes me cry everytime. :frown:

Hands down has to be the Luke and Lorelai proposal scene in Season 5, Episode 22: "A House is Not A Home. It's so typical of both of their characters and I love the moment of realisation that Lorelai has when she realises that Luke is the perfect father figure for Rory and no one will love her more.

I have. I... enjoyed it. It seemed to be lacking some of the charm of the original series and I'm still a bit mad about how Rory's character turned out. But, it definitely had some great moments, most notably how Emily Gilmore grew as a character following Richard's death.

I was also really disappointed with Lane's storyline and hoped we'd see Hep Alien be more successful.

It has to be Luke and Lorelai. "You built me a huppah?" Just the best. I also love Sookie and Lorelai, Rory and Lane and Jess and Rory too.

"I got hit by a deer!"

Honestly, at this point I couldn't even count. I've watched A Year in the Life twice, but original series likely 12+ times.

How did Kirk manage to work so many jobs in Stars Hollow? There's not even enough time in the day :lol:
Original post by Glaz
Still need to watch it :emo:

Ohhhh do it! It's definitely one of the easiest shows to watch :biggrin:
Original post by PilboBaggins
:coffee: It’s that time of year again when I start my yearly re-watch of Gilmore Girls. :coffee:

This is one of the TV shows I could watch time and time again and never get bored of. I love the characters and story-lines, and I’m pretty much still wishing I lived in Stars Hollow.

Spoiler

So, fellow Gilmore fans, I have some questions for you…

05a0c45599816fce60c77c169199e96b.jpg

Yussss I'm also rewatching! Decided to start with series one this week - I generally skip to when she's at uni.

I haaaaaaate the Dean relationship. Gross.

Omg I saw the first episode Luke appeared in the other day. So hilarious. He's not even called Kirk at that point. :rofl:

I love the first episode with the Life and Death Brigade.

I didn't hate the A year in the Life episodes, but agree with you about Lane and Emily's storylines.
Original post by BlinkyBill
Yussss I'm also rewatching! Decided to start with series one this week - I generally skip to when she's at uni.

I haaaaaaate the Dean relationship. Gross.

Omg I saw the first episode Luke appeared in the other day. So hilarious. He's not even called Kirk at that point. :rofl:

I love the first episode with the Life and Death Brigade.

I didn't hate the A year in the Life episodes, but agree with you about Lane and Emily's storylines.

Awesome! Yeah, I actually prefer the earlier series but the Life and Death Brigade episodes are also some of my favourites :smile:

Yeah, the Dean relationship is okay at first but gets pretty old and problematic quite quickly. He seems super controlling.
Lane Kim or Lorelei Gilmore

Paris Geller

Probably one from series one or two because I preferred Rory then, or The one where Gigi was born and it had flashbacks to the birth of Rory

Rory's graduation from chilton. It was so emotional when even Luke was crying.

I haven't watched it yet

Luke and Lorelei definitely

Gosh, not sure, there was too many

Once

What happened to Dean's wife Lindsey
What happened to Madison and Louise
Where is Mr.Kim

Season 1-2 Rory Gilmore! I found as the series went on she became more and more problematic but, early seasons book loving Rory was pretty much me at 16.

I identify with season 1-2 Rory. After breaking up with Dean I grew to dislike her. Not sure why. I think being quite privileged changed her.
Original post by jemima0103
Lane Kim or Lorelei Gilmore

Paris Geller

Probably one from series one or two because I preferred Rory then, or The one where Gigi was born and it had flashbacks to the birth of Rory

Rory's graduation from chilton. It was so emotional when even Luke was crying.

I haven't watched it yet

Luke and Lorelei definitely

Gosh, not sure, there was too many

Once

What happened to Dean's wife Lindsey
What happened to Madison and Louise
Where is Mr.Kim

Awesome, love those answers. Someone else who loves Lane as much as I do? She's the best, isn't she?

I've always wondered what happened to Madison and Louise too. They were pretty big characters for parts of the show and I'd like to have heard them mentioned a bit more. :smile:

Rory's Chilton graduation is a great choice. Her speech is so emotional!
@PilboBaggins I just started and hoOoOoOoOly **** it's so good
Original post by Glaz
@PilboBaggins I just started and hoOoOoOoOly **** it's so good

Omg how did I miss this?! What episode are you up to now? Hope you're enjoying it. :biggrin:
Omg how did I miss this?! What episode are you up to now? Hope you're enjoying it. :biggrin:

Season 1 episode 15, I'm bingewatching House MD atm so I took a little break, but I honestly love it, it's such a good show!

Tagging @Gilmore Girl because I have a feeling they might appreciate this thread :tongue:
Original post by Glaz
Season 1 episode 15, I'm bingewatching House MD atm so I took a little break, but I honestly love it, it's such a good show!

Tagging @Gilmore Girl because I have a feeling they might appreciate this thread :tongue:

Nice! I love House MD too - you have good taste my friend :tongue:

I love the earlier episodes of Gilmore Girls especially, it's like stepping back into nostalgia haha. I'm on Season 3 for my rewatch currently.
Original post by Glaz

:suith::clap2::suith:
Original post by Gilmore Girl
:suith::clap2::suith:

Welcome! Who is your favourite character in the series?
Welcome! Who is your favourite character in the series?

Paris Geller is a great character. Perhaps controversially, I love Emily Gilmore too :smile:
How can people watch Gilmore girls past season 4? Rory becomes such a bad person that I just gave up watching. The charm of the show from s1-s3 is lost as the show progresses.
Yeah I am watching it and I absolutely love the show and imagine I hate the shows nowadays somehow this shows hit different ngl I wish Tristan didn’t leave and he ended up with Rory I wish the write developed there character and relationship I can’t believe he left for one tree hill
Original post by patatasfritas007
How can people watch Gilmore girls past season 4? Rory becomes such a bad person that I just gave up watching. The charm of the show from s1-s3 is lost as the show progresses.

No I don’t think Rory was a bad person and I jus feel like even though she cheated on dean I just feel like dean was weird and was too obsessive and she deserve someone better he will leave her like twenty messages and call so many times that even Lorelai got fed up
Original post by crazywomen
No I don’t think Rory was a bad person and I jus feel like even though she cheated on dean I just feel like dean was weird and was too obsessive and she deserve someone better he will leave her like twenty messages and call so many times that even Lorelai got fed up

cheating with a married man is unforgivable. Rory becomes a homewrecker and the other woman when she does this. If she became a better person and realised her mistake then, sure, I would continue to watch the show but her personality becomes so annoying and she has no redeemable actions. She goes on to date Dean after sleeping with him not mention in the revival she's sleeping with Logan who is engaged! I honestly loved Rory's character is s1-3 but I gradually hated her.

Quick Reply

Latest