The Student Room Group

Can the IAL math textbook be used in place of GCE A level mathematics textbook?

Hi all,

I have recently ordered the pure 2,pure 3 and pure 4 IAL math textbook. However, I was just told yesterday by my teacher that I will be sitting the GCE A level math exam. So I am wondering if the IAL textbook works the same as GCE A level mathematics! Many thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance again!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Year 1: P1, P2, S1, M1
Year 2: P3, P4, S2, M2
Fyi
Reply 2
Original post by 8013
Year 1: P1, P2, S1, M1
Year 2: P3, P4, S2, M2
Fyi

thank you|| so the syllabus and the exam are more or less the same?
Reply 3
Original post by wuzm121
thank you|| so the syllabus and the exam are more or less the same?

You only have 3 exams, but you have 6 in IAL.
In a general sense a lot of the topics will be the same, however the specific format and topics covered by A-level Maths are different to IAL Maths. There isn't an exact correspondence between the IAL modules and the year 12/13 content of A-level Maths (in no small part because given the exam is now linear, teachers have more leeway in what order they teach the material; they could well not do any stats or mechanics content until year 13). Also some topics are from e.g. IAL FP modules, or are simply not covered in A-level Maths.

As long as you know what the differences are, which topics are or aren't included and whether the books go into more/less detail than required on some, as well as understanding the structure of the examination is vastly different, it should be fine. I would suggest you speak with your teacher to identify to what extent you can use these books so you know where they depart from the content you'll be studying.
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
In a general sense a lot of the topics will be the same, however the specific format and topics covered by A-level Maths are different to IAL Maths. There isn't an exact correspondence between the IAL modules and the year 12/13 content of A-level Maths (in no small part because given the exam is now linear, teachers have more leeway in what order they teach the material; they could well not do any stats or mechanics content until year 13). Also some topics are from e.g. IAL FP modules, or are simply not covered in A-level Maths.

As long as you know what the differences are, which topics are or aren't included and whether the books go into more/less detail than required on some, as well as understanding the structure of the examination is vastly different, it should be fine. I would suggest you speak with your teacher to identify to what extent you can use these books so you know where they depart from the content you'll be studying.

Thanks for your very thorough and informative response, many thanks!!!

Quick Reply

Latest