The Student Room Group

Gyg- chem, Phys and maths with dyspraxia

Hello, I'm studying for my A-levels (maths, physics and chemistry) and applying for university (my first choice is Lancaster for natural sciences)
I also have dyspraxia and dyslexia and some minor anxiety issues, which make school and basically everything else harder in many ways.
I'm going to try and post update this weekly and I'm mostly just hoping that this helps other students especially those like me with learning difficulties and also help me grow my grades
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by RAB2018
Hello, I'm studying for my A-levels (maths, physics and chemistry) and applying for university (my first choice is Lancaster for natural sciences)
I also have dyspraxia and dyslexia and some minor anxiety issues, which make school and basically everything else harder in many ways.
I'm going to try and post update this weekly and I'm mostly just hoping that this helps other students especially those like me with learning difficulties and also help me grow my grades

Good luck with your GYG! Wishing you all the best :smile:
Reply 2
hello, so I'm still sort of working this whole thing out but I've decided that for now, I'm going to start with trying something new each week and seeing if I notice any improvements over the next few weeks.
For this week I'm going to start simple with the Pomodoro technique. This is something I heard about ages ago but I never actually gave it a try. Basically, the idea is to study for a short amount of time (25 mins) and then take a short break (5 mins) and then every four sessions take a longer break. I've heard it's a great technique to help with procrastination and distraction because focusing on something for a few minutes feels like a lot less work than revising a whole chapter or doing a whole sheet of maths exercises.
If anyone out there has any suggestions, please let me know, I have a few ideas already but you never know what's going to work best until you try it.
see you next week.
Reply 3
So it's been nearly a week since I last updated this. I had an interview an Manchester university for physics yesterday, and they almost always give people offers after interviews at least for physics. Once I've officially got that offer, I will have four offers (Lancaster, Nottingham and Sheffield) which is super exciting. I also have an interview at another uni in January but I've decided I don't really want to go there so I'm going to withdraw that application so I can make Lancaster my firm and Nottingham my insurance. I know Manchester and Sheffield are great places to study physics but I don't think there quite what I want and I also want to study both physics and chemistry. The whole thing is super exciting and is motivating me even more to learn as much as I can. It's also a huge relief to know it's all finished now and I can focus on my A-levels.
I've been trying out the pomodoro method this week and I have to admit I wasn't that sure about it but I found it really useful to stop procrastinating especially during my frees and I'd definitely recommend giving it a go.
Next week I'm going to try working more on how I take notes and use my revision guides. I know for a fact that just reading from my book doesn't really do anything to help me remember anything so I'm going to try and condense information down. Apparently actually having to select which information to write down and what to leave out can help you to understand something better and remember it. Hopefully it'll be useful.
See you next week
Reply 4
It's been over a week (oops) since I last posted but here it is. Condensing notes so far doesn't seem to be such a great revision technique, definitely better than just reading information but I don't feel like I know much more than I already new. However I do think they could prove a very good piece of revision material, having all the essential formula and basic information on one sheet of paper for each topic makes it a lot easier to find what I need than searching through the whole text book. It's also proving useful to identify which formula I need to memorize and which ones I'll have in the formula book in the exam.
This week I'm going to use flash cards. Mocks are looming and the main issues I'm having is remembering formula and other small bits of information which are easy to get mixed up like functional group test results. I've made some flash cards already, and I've done some research on how to get the most out of them. The best way seems to be to have questions on one side and the answer on the other, and then go through answering the questions. This uses active recall so your actually remembering things and not just recognizing them and making yourself believe you know something when you might not.
It seems a pretty good method in terms of memorising information but I don't think I can rely solely on it.
We'll see how it goes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending