The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University Official 2020 Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mdowdall
I just received an email saying that I have been selected for the Unconditional Offer Scheme, subsequently I need to attend an interview.

If anyone has any further information about this/ how the interview is structured, that would be very helpful

Daughter has an interview next weds. Not sure on the unconditional offer selection side of things as it was just stated as an 'interview day'; but the day mentioned a breakdown of a tour, mini lecture, as well as the interview itself talking about personal statement and couple of questions on the subject itself. She had an interview at another uni last week, and it did comprise of personal statement, book she read in her ps, questions on the subject. I would recommend doing that as prep anyway as it does help a great deal.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
I have a question for Lancaster current students. Re accommodation. looking on the Lancaster university homes website, they seem to be in the city, or on the A6 bus route towards Scotforth. Its at this time next year when freshers start thinking about getting a place to rent. If your more closer to the uni, is it harder catching the bus to uni as its more full and possibility of not stopping? Its just something ive read on a forum and wondered if thats true.
My son has applied to Lancaster (it was his preferred choice) as well as Manchester, Glasgow, Southampton and Exeter. He wants to study Physics including Astrophysics. His predicted grades are AAA.

He has received offers from all except Lancaster.

Today he has received a letter saying there has been a lot of interest in Physics this year and they will be holding interviews in the next few months. I must admit I was surprised as he has already had some interviews hence the offers.

Has anybody else received a letter like this? I think he is discounting Lancaster now as he said he needs to know where he stands and he doesn't want to wait months for an interview whilst other Universities are saying if he confirms he will receive an unconditional offer.

Some friends who are doing different subjects and applied to Lancaster have already received unconditional offers so that doesn't help.

I think this is a bad move on Lancaster's part as if they wanted to carry out interviews, they should not be leaving it months as students will have already confirmed elsewhere.
Original post by missymoo222
My son has applied to Lancaster (it was his preferred choice) as well as Manchester, Glasgow, Southampton and Exeter. He wants to study Physics including Astrophysics. His predicted grades are AAA.

Today he has received a letter saying there has been a lot of interest in Physics this year and they will be holding interviews in the next few months. I must admit I was surprised as he has already had some interviews hence the offers.

Has anybody else received a letter like this? I think he is discounting Lancaster now as he said he needs to know where he stands and he doesn't want to wait months for an interview whilst other Universities are saying if he confirms he will receive an unconditional offer.

Some friends who are doing different subjects and applied to Lancaster have already received unconditional offers so that doesn't help.

I think this is a bad move on Lancaster's part as if they wanted to carry out interviews, they should not be leaving it months as students will have already confirmed elsewhere.

Hi My daughter went to physics open day in the summer and they mentioned the interviews are between nov and jan, and they let them know within 2-3 weeks of the interview.
Original post by Ghostlady
Hi My daughter went to physics open day in the summer and they mentioned the interviews are between nov and jan, and they let them know within 2-3 weeks of the interview.

Thanks, my son went to the open day too, ironically the only one he visited. This wasn't mentioned to him hence why he is pretty down about the letter.

He does like to know where he is and what he is doing. He said he will probably confirm one of the other offers most likely as he wants to know where he stands so he can concentrate on his revision. He said Manchester will probably the one he chooses.

Teenagers eh 😂
Thanks, my son went to the open day too, ironically the only one he visited. This wasn't mentioned to him hence why he is pretty down about the letter.

He does like to know where he is and what he is doing. He said he will probably confirm one of the other offers most likely as he wants to know where he stands so he can concentrate on his revision. He said Manchester will probably the one he chooses.

Teenagers eh 😂

Aww im sure they will come back to him soon. his predicted is AAA so it is meeting their requirements :smile:
Original post by Ghostlady
I have a question for Lancaster current students. Re accommodation. looking on the Lancaster university homes website, they seem to be in the city, or on the A6 bus route towards Scotforth. Its at this time next year when freshers start thinking about getting a place to rent. If your more closer to the uni, is it harder catching the bus to uni as its more full and possibility of not stopping? Its just something ive read on a forum and wondered if thats true.

Hello,
Is this for second/third year? After living in Scotforth in my second year, at the very start of the year we had problems getting on buses as they would be full but I was only actually late to one lecture (just had to get up a bit earlier). However, after a couple of months Stagecoach fixed the problem and it never caused me any problems. Living in Scotforth means you live on the 1/1a route which is the quickest and most regular from the university. You can also live in Bowerham area/Prospect street area/near Sugarhouse - these are probably the most popular places to live.
Charlotte :smile:
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine

Hello,
When I was applying a few years ago, Manchester would interview all applicants and in fact most Physics courses would - but well done to your son on getting so many applications. You do not need to pick your firm universities until April/May time so he would still have plenty of time to make any final decisions. It's likely that by being invited to an interview that he already has a place, but the exact terms of his offer (the grades/being unconditional) will be decided after the interview (similar to lots of other universities). Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions.
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hello,
When I was applying a few years ago, Manchester would interview all applicants and in fact most Physics courses would - but well done to your son on getting so many applications. You do not need to pick your firm universities until April/May time so he would still have plenty of time to make any final decisions. It's likely that by being invited to an interview that he already has a place, but the exact terms of his offer (the grades/being unconditional) will be decided after the interview (similar to lots of other universities). Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for replying.

He knows he has plenty of time to firm his offers but I think as Lancaster are leaving it so late compared to his other choice Universities has pushed him to choose another unfortunately even though Lancaster was his preferred.

He is stressed with his studies, he submitted his UCAS as soon as possible to get it out the way and he feels like Lancaster are dragging their feet waiting for "better" applicants. That is how it is being perceived unfortunately. He just wants certainty.

Maybe you can feedback to the Physics department?

Thanks again
I completed my BA at Lancs so if anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer. I'm doing my masters at Lancaster in 2020 too.
Reply 50
I'm applying for natural sciences, and I'm currently stufstud maths physics and chemistry predicepr AAA. I recived a conditional offer yesterday but it says that I qualify for the unconditional offer scheme if I make it my firm. Does that mean it will automatically become unconditional when I make it my firm or will I have to have an interview or something first. I'm still waiting for an offer from the uni I wanted as my insurance so I don't want to make it my firm and not get the unconditional and potentially end up at a uni I didn't really want to go to
Reply 51
Original post by RAB2018
I'm applying for natural sciences, and I'm currently stufstud maths physics and chemistry predicepr AAA. I recived a conditional offer yesterday but it says that I qualify for the unconditional offer scheme if I make it my firm. Does that mean it will automatically become unconditional when I make it my firm or will I have to have an interview or something first. I'm still waiting for an offer from the uni I wanted as my insurance so I don't want to make it my firm and not get the unconditional and potentially end up at a uni I didn't really want to go to

Hey, I got that too but for MSc in biochemistry!! (predicted A*A*A). I am going to the interview, I think we have to? They sent me an email saying I am edible but they need to interview? Lancaster is my second choice if I don't get into Oxford. Im so scared for the interview, I'm so bad at interviews.
Original post by laussss
Hey, I got that too but for MSc in biochemistry!! (predicted A*A*A). I am going to the interview, I think we have to? They sent me an email saying I am edible but they need to interview? Lancaster is my second choice if I don't get into Oxford. Im so scared for the interview, I'm so bad at interviews.

Original post by RAB2018

I got a conditional AAB then if firm would be unconditional. Accepted as firm 2 days later notified now unconditional. Other 4 offers voided. Got a letter saying I would be starting with them next year no interview mentioned. Hope it helps
Reply 53
Original post by Anonymous
I got a conditional AAB then if firm would be unconditional. Accepted as firm 2 days later notified now unconditional. Other 4 offers voided. Got a letter saying I would be starting with them next year no interview mentioned. Hope it helps

oh my god well done!! what are you applying for? My friend got an unconditional without interview for history - they might just interview the science applicants?
Original post by laussss
oh my god well done!! what are you applying for? My friend got an unconditional without interview for history - they might just interview the science applicants?

Business management 😊 Just happy no interview needed
Reply 55
Original post by Julesh123
Business management 😊 Just happy no interview needed

ughhh soooo lucky
Original post by RAB2018

Hi there is a link thats might help: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/unconditional-offer-scheme/ It says on the website''The unconditional offer will be confirmed once a selected applicant has made Lancaster their firm choice on UCAS.''.......... then this:''I’ve received a letter informing me I am eligible for an Unconditional Offer but UCAS says my offer is Conditional, what does this mean?

Once an eligible applicant has placed Lancaster University as their firm choice, we will update the offer to unconditional; confirmation of this change will be received via UCAS Track. Applicants who do not wish to take up the offer on the Unconditional Offer Scheme will therefore still be eligible for a conditional offer should they wish to make Lancaster University their insurance choice.'' hope this helps
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hello,
Is this for second/third year? After living in Scotforth in my second year, at the very start of the year we had problems getting on buses as they would be full but I was only actually late to one lecture (just had to get up a bit earlier). However, after a couple of months Stagecoach fixed the problem and it never caused me any problems. Living in Scotforth means you live on the 1/1a route which is the quickest and most regular from the university. You can also live in Bowerham area/Prospect street area/near Sugarhouse - these are probably the most popular places to live.

Hi Charlotte it is for 2nd/3rd and 4th year. We loved Lancaster uni but didnt get chance to see Lancaster city; and we wont get chance to see it next week as we have to leave straight after interview back, so any feedback on Lancaster city centre would be appreciated. Good/Bad areas, best/cheap places to shop/eat, things to do in the area :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Thanks for replying.

He knows he has plenty of time to firm his offers but I think as Lancaster are leaving it so late compared to his other choice Universities has pushed him to choose another unfortunately even though Lancaster was his preferred.

He is stressed with his studies, he submitted his UCAS as soon as possible to get it out the way and he feels like Lancaster are dragging their feet waiting for "better" applicants. That is how it is being perceived unfortunately. He just wants certainty.

Maybe you can feedback to the Physics department?

Thanks again

Hello,
I'm sorry to hear but I'll definitely feedback and let them know. Thanks for your input!
Original post by RAB2018

Hello,
If you want to make it unconditional, all you'll need to do is firm it as your first choice - but you can wait until the deadline to make your decision. However, if you do firm it then you'll definitely be coming!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending