The Student Room Group

I'm scared I'm never gonna have a decent job because I'm disabled

As negative as that seems. I'm way more ambitious then the jobs I've worked. My last job involved supporting others with learning difficulties, the manager didn't think I was right for the work even though I worked my hardest, the job before was pretty much the same. Perhaps I was in the wrong jobs plus the managements was terrible.

Anyway I'm looking into jobs that has lots of information and I can focus for a long time on.

I'm very down right now because I'm sick of not getting proper work and been unemployed for so long. What can you do... it's so hard. It's like I'm not mentally capable when I am. I have also told jobcentre about my condition.
Of course you will hun. Don't be so hard on yourself.
Hi, I'm sorry to hear your having a hard time with work!

i know first hand how difficult it is to find decent employment when you suffer from a condition.

If you are looking for work with lots of information have you tried entering Administration? like finance or just general office admin there tends to be heaps of data to work through, if you have no experience then an apprenticeship is a good way to start.

Hopefully the jobcentre would be able to put you into the right direction, if not they may be able to offer some course that will help give you the skills to get into the work you want, my younger brother got offered a few and said they were really helpful for him.

I hope you find work you enjoy soon!
Reply 3
I would agree with stichmeouw - find what you are good at and see what jobs are out there. the jobcenter will be able to help you and put you in the right direction. Better to take a starter job in a new area and learn on the job than rushing into doing something with a lot of responsibility and people fronting job. Office admin or even analytical work might be good. U might even be the right candidate for computer related job.
I don’t know what kind of disability you have but I have Asperger’s syndrome and dyspraxia and I’m currently working at a job where I make about £600-£700 a week whilst I’m studying so don’t give up!
(edited 4 years ago)
What do you work as?
Original post by Poooky
What do you work as?

I work for the NHS as a HCA
what is your disability? What exactly were the criticisms you got? working with people with disabilities is genuinely not for everyone and that's nothing to be ashamed of... before you can fulfil your ambitions though you need to work out where your strengths are!
Reply 8
Original post by StitchMeow
Hi, I'm sorry to hear your having a hard time with work!

i know first hand how difficult it is to find decent employment when you suffer from a condition.

If you are looking for work with lots of information have you tried entering Administration? like finance or just general office admin there tends to be heaps of data to work through, if you have no experience then an apprenticeship is a good way to start.

Hopefully the jobcentre would be able to put you into the right direction, if not they may be able to offer some course that will help give you the skills to get into the work you want, my younger brother got offered a few and said they were really helpful for him.

I hope you find work you enjoy soon!

I've been on and off to the jobcentre a long time and they have barely helped me. I even dealt with some bullying anyway that's in the past. Hopefully things have changed and this different jobcentre I'm at now have really only helped with my c.v and a days course.

I've been looking into I.T security and want to do perhaps a online course but it's the money. I'm also creative on the side but realistically I want a good paying job.
Reply 9
Original post by Mom$$
I would agree with stichmeouw - find what you are good at and see what jobs are out there. the jobcenter will be able to help you and put you in the right direction. Better to take a starter job in a new area and learn on the job than rushing into doing something with a lot of responsibility and people fronting job. Office admin or even analytical work might be good. U might even be the right candidate for computer related job.

Hopefully I will get somewhere but atm it's so hard and isolating.

I'm looking into getting into IT sevuycourse or start into IT entry role to progress. The thought of me still not getting anywhere is giving me more anxiety. I just hope and do and then I can also pursue other things.
You make it seem easy. Some of us are in so much pain some days we can't get out of bed :frown: I got let go from my last job, I suspect attendance played a part.
Original post by doodle_333
what is your disability? What exactly were the criticisms you got? working with people with disabilities is genuinely not for everyone and that's nothing to be ashamed of... before you can fulfil your ambitions though you need to work out where your strengths are!

Autism and a processing disorder. I've finally had a proper diagnosis even though I've had the obvious signs since being a baby.

I had a lot of negative feedback, some of this was lies though. I was also discriminated even though I told them about my disability before I started the job. I just want to look forward now though. I've had a very tough time for years before then.

I know some of my strengths but nobody is going I've never me a chance.
That's brilliant, you should be proud.
Original post by cheerIeader
Of course you will hun. Don't be so hard on yourself.

I hope so because I'm so close to giving up.
Never give up! Just because you're disabled doesn't mean that you have to collapse and lose hope. Hope is always there and the only way you'll find it is if you persevere and keep trying. Remember, it's never too late to achieve!
Original post by Anonymous
Autism and a processing disorder. I've finally had a proper diagnosis even though I've had the obvious signs since being a baby.

I had a lot of negative feedback, some of this was lies though. I was also discriminated even though I told them about my disability before I started the job. I just want to look forward now though. I've had a very tough time for years before then.

I know some of my strengths but nobody is going I've never me a chance.

I can't really advise you unless you tell me what they actually said or what your strengths are. The way you're seeing it might not be accurate.

I will say plenty of people with autism work and have successful careers, autism itself is not a reason you can't succeed.
Original post by OddOnes
You make it seem easy. Some of us are in so much pain some days we can't get out of bed :frown: I got let go from my last job, I suspect attendance played a part.

I’m sorry to hear that :frown: have you been to your GP about it?

Quick Reply