The Student Room Group

I was offered a job and now its gone all quiet

So i currently work for the NHS, and I was offered a new role with a very well known company I wont say who. So i got offered the role, was sent the offer letter , accepted the role. They were very keen on me handing in my notice, so I did. Anyway its been 2 weeks or even more I still havent receieved my contract, I called them and they told me dont worry it takes time its coming, week later now nothing.

Im worried I have handed in my notice from a decent job, and what if this new job falls under and I'm left with nothing. Can employers change their mind?
Original post by tillyteewee
So i currently work for the NHS, and I was offered a new role with a very well known company I wont say who. So i got offered the role, was sent the offer letter , accepted the role. They were very keen on me handing in my notice, so I did. Anyway its been 2 weeks or even more I still havent receieved my contract, I called them and they told me dont worry it takes time its coming, week later now nothing.

Im worried I have handed in my notice from a decent job, and what if this new job falls under and I'm left with nothing. Can employers change their mind?

They can't do that. If you say it's a very well known company then they can't get away with dropping people, they're probably very busy and overworked (many companies are and take ages to get back to you). One of my jobs took ages to give me my contract, mostly cause they were busy and since they settled on employing me and knew i was keen, they didn't feel the need to rush to send my contract..
Reply 2
HR are usually very slow from previous experience especially with things such as contracts. In the past I have demanded a contract be issued before declining another job offer / handing in my notice so I know they won't suddenly change their mind. I'm sure if they are a very well known company they won't be able to mess around and just offer people a job and never finalise it. If I were you I would keep emailing/ making contact. Like the other user said they are probably just really busy and these things can take time (especially if they are also taking references). I wouldn't worry too much, just make sure to keep pestering them.
Do you have an offer of employment in writing? They should’ve sent you a letter confirming your offer right away. Next time what you say is, ‘Can I have it writing please then I can hand in my notice’. Never hand in your notice from your current job until you have an offer in writing, that’s lesson no 1, if they’re as keen on you as you say (once you’ve batted it back to them) they would’ve sent you not only the letter but contract, pretty sharpish. If you have nothing in writing, they can change their minds because a verbal offer alone cannot stand up in court. Hopefully they are just a bit behind schedule and will send your contract shortly. Good luck with your new job!
Original post by BedfordMom
Do you have an offer of employment in writing? They should’ve sent you a letter confirming your offer right away. Next time what you say is, ‘Can I have it writing please then I can hand in my notice’. Never hand in your notice from your current job until you have an offer in writing, that’s lesson no 1, if they’re as keen on you as you say (once you’ve batted it back to them) they would’ve sent you not only the letter but contract, pretty sharpish. If you have nothing in writing, they can change their minds because a verbal offer alone cannot stand up in court. Hopefully they are just a bit behind schedule and will send your contract shortly. Good luck with your new job!

Yes I have an official offer letter emailed to me and a trail of emails, Im just assuming their busy, thank you xxx
That sounds fine then, have you got a start date confirmation?
That sounds fine then, have you got a start date confirmation?

Thats one of the other things thats worrying me, they wanted me to give them my last date with my current job so they can give me a start date. I've done this, the recruiter told me she's waiting for the managers reply but again I've heard nothing even after cc'ing him in emails. So today I actually emailed and said I've put my last day with the NHS on hold until I get an official start date with you guys to try and wake them up a little.
You’ve handled this bit well. Another tip - Always give yourself some breathing space (if you can), between last date of your current job and start of new job, it’s to avoid situations like this where your notice period has already kicked one but you haven’t got a start date. E.g you need 1 months notice from today =last date 8/12. Tell new employer you will start either 15/12 or 22/12, obviously not everyone is in a position to do this due to finances but if you can please do.
You’ve handled this bit well. Another tip - Always give yourself some breathing space (if you can), between last date of your current job and start of new job, it’s to avoid situations like this where your notice period has already kicked one but you haven’t got a start date. E.g you need 1 months notice from today =last date 8/12. Tell new employer you will start either 15/12 or 22/12, obviously not everyone is in a position to do this due to finances but if you can please do.

Thanks so much for your advise, really helpful xxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending