The Student Room Group

I'm punching above my weight

All my friends, and even work colleagues that I don't know too well, tell me I'm punching above my weight when I show them pictures of my girlfriend. This is something I know myself though, and she makes me a better person because she is so amazing.

These are friends from school and university... from back when I was very immature & a bit chubbier - my diet was awful, I drank and went out most nights but, saying that, I've always been a good hearted person. Since then I've been training and working on my personality - my physique and overall appearance has improved, along with my personality (I'm a lot more mature). I also get a lot more attention now.

I do feel that if I knew my current gf at university she wouldn't have gone for me then. But I can see why she likes me now because of the drastic changes I've made, and I'm also very confident with her whereas back then I wouldn't have known what to do with such a pretty lady.

So when my friends say this, is it possible they are taking my past in to account too? Or is it really just as I am at this current moment in time?
Yes possibly because they’ve seen you through your worst moments so they think you’ve done even better for yourself
Original post by Anonymous
All my friends, and even work colleagues that I don't know too well, tell me I'm punching above my weight when I show them pictures of my girlfriend. This is something I know myself though, and she makes me a better person because she is so amazing.

These are friends from school and university... from back when I was very immature & a bit chubbier - my diet was awful, I drank and went out most nights but, saying that, I've always been a good hearted person. Since then I've been training and working on my personality - my physique and overall appearance has improved, along with my personality (I'm a lot more mature). I also get a lot more attention now.

I do feel that if I knew my current gf at university she wouldn't have gone for me then. But I can see why she likes me now because of the drastic changes I've made, and I'm also very confident with her whereas back then I wouldn't have known what to do with such a pretty lady.

So when my friends say this, is it possible they are taking my past in to account too? Or is it really just as I am at this current moment in time?

Why does it matter? She is happy, you are happy, so why not just settle for that instead of all this overthinking?
Reply 3
Thanks
Reply 4
Bump
Reply 5
??
Reply 6
What the hell does "punching above my weight" even mean?
Reply 7
Original post by Xarao
What the hell does "punching above my weight" even mean?

Like my girlfriend is too good for me
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
Like my girlfriend is too good for me

Okay, so why do you care about what these people say?
it's just male banter meaning you've done well and they wish they had someone as pretty as her. it would be completely different if they said "he could do way better than that, he must have a confidence problem., why is he even with her??" according to the rules, which I did not make, it's a good thing for the man to have done too well, but not for the woman to have done too well.
Bump
Bump

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending