The Student Room Group

Child nursing less competitive ?

After the nursing bursary was removed has nursing become less competitive.
Just because I'm looking at all these threads and their all saying child nursing is the most competitive and you're likely to be rejected. They say you should apply for adult nursing then convert to child if you REALLY want to ??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by AmberDalia
Just because I'm looking at all these threads and their all saying child nursing is the most competitive and you're likely to be rejected. They say you should apply for adult nursing then convert to child if you REALLY want to ??

Don't be daft. Child nursing may still be really competative but that shouldn't stop you from applying and having a good chance at being successful (like with anything). If you want to be a children's nurse, get your personal statement perfect, make sure you have the grades or are on track for them, and get prepping for those interviews.

Hi there!

I think people perceive childrens nursing to be more competitive compared to adult nursing because their is significantly less available spaces for that course! But I definitely don’t think you should let that stop you! As long as you meet all the criteria for entry and you present well in interviews then you stand a great chance at receiving an offer, just like anyone else! Keele University offer a fantastic childrens nursing course. If you have any questions about anything, please don’t hesitate to ask!
Original post by Emily_B
Don't be daft. Child nursing may still be really competative but that shouldn't stop you from applying and having a good chance at being successful (like with anything). If you want to be a children's nurse, get your personal statement perfect, make sure you have the grades or are on track for them, and get prepping for those interviews.

Thank-You for replying . It is very competitive , I'm making sure there are no grammar mistakes today and I'm sending it off tomorrow to get it in early
Original post by Keele Student Ambassador
Hi there!

I think people perceive childrens nursing to be more competitive compared to adult nursing because their is significantly less available spaces for that course! But I definitely don’t think you should let that stop you! As long as you meet all the criteria for entry and you present well in interviews then you stand a great chance at receiving an offer, just like anyone else! Keele University offer a fantastic childrens nursing course. If you have any questions about anything, please don’t hesitate to ask!

Yeah that's what I heard . I meet the entry requirements for Keele and will hopefully apply . Just wanted to ask what type of interviews are done for nursing ?

Conversion courses are offered by fewer and fewer universities each year and are extremely competitive. It's highly possible that you may never be accepted onto a conversion course, and extremely likely that you would need several years' experience prior to applying. It's therefore not something we generally recommend you rely on.

Since removal of the bursary there have been fewer applications to nursing generally however we can't see what is happening in the current application cycle.
Hey! I’ve been offered a couple of places so far on the Children’s nursing courses for September 2020, just make sure your personal statement is up to scratch, you get the grades you need and that when interviews come about, you fully prepare for them! Universities will usually send you an email with the structure of the day and anything you need to prepare for the interview. Just make sure you’re super prepared! Good luck!
Original post by Lottie_Lou96
Hey! I’ve been offered a couple of places so far on the Children’s nursing courses for September 2020, just make sure your personal statement is up to scratch, you get the grades you need and that when interviews come about, you fully prepare for them! Universities will usually send you an email with the structure of the day and anything you need to prepare for the interview. Just make sure you’re super prepared! Good luck!

Thank-You . When did u send your application off and which unis have you applied to ? Congratulations on your offers
Thank-You . When did u send your application off and which unis have you applied to ? Congratulations on your offers

No problem! Thank you! I sent my application off on the 14th October, and I have applied to LJMU, Keele, University of Chester, Edge Hill and University of Manchester. I've done 3 interviews already, had 2 offers so far (still waiting to hear back about the other interview) and I have 2 more interviews to go. You'll be absolutely fine, just make sure you get someone else to proof read your personal statement for spelling and grammar etc. and just really prepare for your interviews (read interview questions, current health topics etc). Wishing you all the best!
Just submitted my application for child nursing, honestly so nervous for the interviews (if I get any). I'm such an awkward person ugh
Yeah that's what I heard . I meet the entry requirements for Keele and will hopefully apply . Just wanted to ask what type of interviews are done for nursing ?

Hi there! That’s fantastic to hear you might be applying to Keele! I’m an adult nurse myself so i’m not too sure on the Childrens Nurse selection process. However, if you’d like me to, I could email the childrens nursing admissions team and ask about the process for you and then forward you the message?
Hi there! That’s fantastic to hear you might be applying to Keele! I’m an adult nurse myself so i’m not too sure on the Childrens Nurse selection process. However, if you’d like me to, I could email the childrens nursing admissions team and ask about the process for you and then forward you the message?

Ah yes that would be very helpful thank you so much ☺️☺️
Original post by madison1996
Just submitted my application for child nursing, honestly so nervous for the interviews (if I get any). I'm such an awkward person ugh

Good luck . Where have you applied to ? I sent mine off but my referee sent it back to add something . Should hopefully send it off tomorrow

No problem! I’ll drop them an e-mail right now and get back to you as soon as they reply!

The admissions team have just gotten back to me! This was the reply -

‘When we receive her application, we will check she meets the entry requirements. We'll then get one of the Children's Nursing lecturers to mark her personal statement. If she meets the required score, we would invite her to a Selection Event. The Selection Events involves an introductory talk, a building tour, and then an individual interview.‘

I hope this helps!
The admissions team have just gotten back to me! This was the reply -

‘When we receive her application, we will check she meets the entry requirements. We'll then get one of the Children's Nursing lecturers to mark her personal statement. If she meets the required score, we would invite her to a Selection Event. The Selection Events involves an introductory talk, a building tour, and then an individual interview.‘

I hope this helps!

Thank-you
Good luck . Where have you applied to ? I sent mine off but my referee sent it back to add something . Should hopefully send it off tomorrow

I’m still waiting for my references trying to get my teacher to do it asap, I applied to De Montfort, Anglia Ruskin, Bedfordshire, Lincoln and Suffolk!
Thank-you

No problem!
Original post by madison1996
I’m still waiting for my references trying to get my teacher to do it asap, I applied to De Montfort, Anglia Ruskin, Bedfordshire, Lincoln and Suffolk!

Hi @madison1996!

I'm so happy to hear that you are considering DMU! If you have any questions at all don't hesitate to ask.

Good luck with the application! :smile:

- Niamh
Reply 19
Original post by Lottie_Lou96

Oh wow that's amazing!! Can I ask where?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending