The Student Room Group

IELTS For UK Universities

Hi everyone!

I'm currently doing my A Levels in a non-EU country and plan to go into uni in the UK next year. But there's a problem, quite a few universities that I like require international students to do IELTS to show their language proficiency.

My question is, do I absolutely need to do IELTS if I'm fluent in english? Will unis not accept me if I don't do IELTS? Besides, even though I'm definitely not British, English is pretty much my first language. Please help!
You don't have to do it before sending your UCAS application. If they want it from you, they would add the requirement to their conditional offer.
Original post by outofnachos
You don't have to do it before sending your UCAS application. If they want it from you, they would add the requirement to their conditional offer.

Ah I see. Thank you so much!
Original post by ThePsychKid
Hi everyone!

I'm currently doing my A Levels in a non-EU country and plan to go into uni in the UK next year. But there's a problem, quite a few universities that I like require international students to do IELTS to show their language proficiency.

My question is, do I absolutely need to do IELTS if I'm fluent in english? Will unis not accept me if I don't do IELTS? Besides, even though I'm definitely not British, English is pretty much my first language. Please help!

It's very difficult to prove that you're fluent without a recognised qualification.

Universities have discretion about what they'll accept as proof of English language ability - their websites will normally explain what they will accept. Although IELTS from a UKVI centre is the gold standard - and will be useful if you want to find work in the UK too (as employers often have less flexibility than universities about what they can accept)
Hi everyone!

Hi @ThePsychKid

It is great to hear that you are interested in studying in the UK.

I would recommend emailing the universities that you are interested in to see what they say. Some universities will waver the IELTS if you have been taught and assessed in English for your current qualifications. Otherwise, you will have to take an IELTS so that the university knows that your level of English is also at a good enough standard to take on academic study.

If you need any more advice give me a shout.

Dom :h:
Have a look at this for what Exeter accept. Other universities might have similar policies. It is not just IELTS that is accepted
https://www.exeter.ac.uk/pg-research/apply/english/
Original post by PQ
It's very difficult to prove that you're fluent without a recognised qualification.

Universities have discretion about what they'll accept as proof of English language ability - their websites will normally explain what they will accept. Although IELTS from a UKVI centre is the gold standard - and will be useful if you want to find work in the UK too (as employers often have less flexibility than universities about what they can accept)

I see. Thank you
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hi @ThePsychKid

It is great to hear that you are interested in studying in the UK.

I would recommend emailing the universities that you are interested in to see what they say. Some universities will waver the IELTS if you have been taught and assessed in English for your current qualifications. Otherwise, you will have to take an IELTS so that the university knows that your level of English is also at a good enough standard to take on academic study.

If you need any more advice give me a shout.

Dom :h:

Alright, I'll email them right now haha. Thank you! Also, I have another question. So lets say the universities I write to require IELTS even after emailing them, then do I have to do the test before sending my UCAS application or can I send my UCAS application and then do my IELTS?
Original post by swanseajack1
Have a look at this for what Exeter accept. Other universities might have similar policies. It is not just IELTS that is accepted
https://www.exeter.ac.uk/pg-research/apply/english/

Ah ok, thanks!
Alright, I'll email them right now haha. Thank you! Also, I have another question. So lets say the universities I write to require IELTS even after emailing them, then do I have to do the test before sending my UCAS application or can I send my UCAS application and then do my IELTS?

You can send the UCAS application and do a language test later. You will usually be given a deadline sometime in August.
Original post by Admit-One
You can send the UCAS application and do a language test later. You will usually be given a deadline sometime in August.

Okay, thanks! :smile:

Hey, :top:

You can make an application without the IELTS. If you are successful in being made an offer this would be conditional. One of the conditions will then be to obtain the IELTS or English Language Certificate. You would usually need to have this in place before the start date of the course.

If you have any further questions, please let us know.

Tom :shakehand:
Hey, :top:

You can make an application without the IELTS. If you are successful in being made an offer this would be conditional. One of the conditions will then be to obtain the IELTS or English Language Certificate. You would usually need to have this in place before the start date of the course.

If you have any further questions, please let us know.

Tom :shakehand:

Hi :hello:

Oh ok thank you! So far, all the offers I received don't state that I need to do IELTS so yay! :dancing2:
Hi :hello:

Oh ok thank you! So far, all the offers I received don't state that I need to do IELTS so yay! :dancing2:

Your welcome!

If you have any other questions feel free to PM us

Amy :biggrin:
Your welcome!

If you have any other questions feel free to PM us

Amy :biggrin:

Of course! :yep:
Of course! :yep:

:shakehand:

Quick Reply