The Student Room Group

5 GCSE pass general entry requirement

how rigid on this are universities that list this requirement? i'm scoping out my options right now while studying an access to HE course, i have my pass in English already and i plan on retaking maths before university too, but i'm worried that these "five passes at GCSE grade C or above" requirements might screw me over. i screwed up my GCSEs in secondary and i'm only just really salvaging my education with this access course. by the time i complete this access course i should have 2 passes total -- would this suffice for degree courses?

if it helps, the access course i am doing is humanities/social sciences and my areas of interest at university are politics/history/philosophy. i am fond of blending economics into one of them through a joint or combined honours degree course, too, which to my surprise seem to be available without requiring a level maths.
Since you’re doing the access course, it would be best if you contact the uni about your situation and the problem about your GCSEs and how to deal with them.
Usually Unis stating GCSE requirements mean it, and usually if you dont have what they want ('A in Maths' or '5 GCSE at C or above') then you will be rejected. However, Unis are also usually a little bit more flexible for mature applicants - you have the vital ones, Maths ad English, so its possible that they might not insist on this requirement.

Where are you thinking of applying - not all Unis will insist on this for all courses anyway.
Reply 3
Original post by returnmigrant
Usually Unis stating GCSE requirements mean it, and usually if you dont have what they want ('A in Maths' or '5 GCSE at C or above') then you will be rejected. However, Unis are also usually a little bit more flexible for mature applicants - you have the vital ones, Maths ad English, so its possible that they might not insist on this requirement.

Where are you thinking of applying - not all Unis will insist on this for all courses anyway.

at the moment i've been looking at kent/essex/reading
Original post by holihs0001
at the moment i've been looking at kent/essex/reading

And do they all say specifically that they want '5 GCSEs at C or above' or are you just assuming that they do?
Reply 5
Original post by returnmigrant
And do they all say specifically that they want '5 GCSEs at C or above' or are you just assuming that they do?

kent and essex seem to have a 5 GCSE pass in explicit writing for their general entry requirements, reading doesn't. i've contacted the ones that don't to ask about my situation but i wanted to see if anyone on here had experience they could share anyway
Email them and explain why you only have 2 GCSEs - see what they say.
Original post by holihs0001
how rigid on this are universities that list this requirement? i'm scoping out my options right now while studying an access to HE course, i have my pass in English already and i plan on retaking maths before university too, but i'm worried that these "five passes at GCSE grade C or above" requirements might screw me over. i screwed up my GCSEs in secondary and i'm only just really salvaging my education with this access course. by the time i complete this access course i should have 2 passes total -- would this suffice for degree courses?

if it helps, the access course i am doing is humanities/social sciences and my areas of interest at university are politics/history/philosophy. i am fond of blending economics into one of them through a joint or combined honours degree course, too, which to my surprise seem to be available without requiring a level maths.

Hi there!
So pleased to hear you're considering applying to the University of Kent :biggrin:
From what I can find on the website the entry requirements do ask for 5 passess at GCSE, but it could definitely be worth contacting the Recruitment and Admissions department and asking them about this, as if you meet their A-level entry requirements there is a fair chance you could still be accepted :smile: Here is the contact information webpage for the Recruitment and Admissions department at Kent.
I hope this helps! Best of luck with your university applications :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending