The Student Room Group

What is the astronomy gcse like?

I have to pick my gcse options soon and I have seen that edexcel offers an astronomy gcse. My school doesn't offer it however I was thinking of doing it in my own time. I know the course hasn't been running for long so I can't find much information on it and I was just wondering if anyone had done it and how they found it. Thanks :smile:
Hi ! We were offered to do the GCSE at school and I sat the exam last year (I got a 9). I thought it was really interesting !! but I did notice there were few resources (no real textbook) and the old spec questions were just content based while new spec questions involved some problem solving and application too. In your case though, I think you'll have enough 9-1 past papers and there are now more practice qs available.
I would say look at the specification on the Edexcel website to see if you'll enjoy the topics! Feel free to ask me any more questions you have xx
There’s an astronomy GCSE?! TF the education system has screwed me over again I would have done that
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
You get an astronomy gcse???? Lucky, if I did GCSEs I’d pick it.
Reply 4
Original post by Emiluu
You get an astronomy gcse???? Lucky, if I did GCSEs I’d pick it.

I didn’t know it existed until not long ago. Just wish it was an actual option at school so I could do it then instead of in my own time. I was thinking of doing an extra anyway though so I don’t really mind.
Reply 5
Original post by India722
Thanks so much! I have looked at the specification and it does look really interesting. I also noticed that there is no real textbook so just wondering what you used? Xx

There's a textbook on Amazon, it's alright. I did Astronomy GCSE as an extra-curricular activity, I got an A from cramming the info in the week leading up to the written exam - probably also because my controlled assessment was a bit mediocre.
The subject is pretty reliant on you just memorising information, although that was the old spec so I can't comment on the new spec really.
I did mention it on my personal statement (in particular the cosmology aspect of it) when I applied to do physics at uni so that's one benefit.
Reply 6
Original post by Kryptonitekid43
There’s an astronomy GCSE?! TF the education system has screwed me over again I would have done that

I know, I’m so glad I found out about it. I was just looking at my different options on different Exam board websites and I saw it
Reply 7
Original post by Purplerhino
Hi ! We were offered to do the GCSE at school and I sat the exam last year (I got a 9). I thought it was really interesting !! but I did notice there were few resources (no real textbook) and the old spec questions were just content based while new spec questions involved some problem solving and application too. In your case though, I think you'll have enough 9-1 past papers and there are now more practice qs available.
I would say look at the specification on the Edexcel website to see if you'll enjoy the topics! Feel free to ask me any more questions you have xx

Thanks so much! I have looked at the specification and it does look really interesting. I also noticed that there is no real textbook so just wondering what you used? Xx
Original post by India722

I'm so sorry I didn't log onto here for a really long time ! I'll reply just in case it helps anyone else in the future.
I used the textbook (GCSE (9-1) Astronomy: A Guide for Pupils and Teachers, Nigel Marshall) but I had to do research to make sure all missing information was covered. Using the specification really helped - it's really detailed and it means you won't miss anything out.
There used to be a fairly good site www.gcseastronomy.co.uk but I can't find it anymore ! I stopped making notes about halfway through the course but if anyone wants to see my typed notes/quizlets let me know.

Quick Reply

Latest