The Student Room Group

Design a study

Studying A level Psychology and im stuck at 'designing a study' and then having to provide methodological and psychological evidence for my study.

Do i design a study where i clearly tell that my 'Independent variable is this...' or my sampling technique is opportunity and i use the psych terms properly OR do i just Narrate the study like a story and let the examiner figure it out interms of the design and the study features?https://papers.xtremepape.rs/CAIE/AS%20and%20A%20Level/Psychology%20(9990)/9990_m18_qp_42.pdf
Section B is where the trouble is.
no not a story, use IV and sampling method.
Reply 2
Original post by Sb_br
Studying A level Psychology and im stuck at 'designing a study' and then having to provide methodological and psychological evidence for my study.

Do i design a study where i clearly tell that my 'Independent variable is this...' or my sampling technique is opportunity and i use the psych terms properly OR do i just Narrate the study like a story and let the examiner figure it out interms of the design and the study features?https://papers.xtremepape.rs/CAIE/AS%20and%20A%20Level/Psychology%20(9990)/9990_m18_qp_42.pdf
Section B is where the trouble is.

Don't let the examiner have to figure out anything! It is not their job! I just looked through the exam paper- clearly you are required to demonstrate a clear understanding of methodology design and sampling. Clearly, just narrating a story will give a very low mark!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by mgi
Don't let the examiner have to figure out anything! It is not their job! I just looked through the exam paper- clearly you are required to demonstrate a clear understanding of methodology design and sampling. Clearly, just narrating a story will give a very low mark!

Got it, one last thing, what does it mean when the question asks for a Psychological and Methodological evidence for my designed study?
Reply 4
Original post by Noodlzzz
no not a story, use IV and sampling method.

Thanks, lastly what does it mean when the question asks for a Psychological and Methodological evidence for my designed study?
Original post by Sb_br
Thanks, lastly what does it mean when the question asks for a Psychological and Methodological evidence for my designed study?

Psychological - evidence from other studies that support your hypothesis. Such as if designing a study about operant conditioning then mention behaviourism and evidence from studies such as Skinner.

Methodological - similar to above but why you chose your methodology such as a experimental design as opposed to a natural or quasi experimental design

*I think* I haven’t done A level psychology for a good 8 years!
Reply 6
Original post by Noodlzzz
Psychological - evidence from other studies that support your hypothesis. Such as if designing a study about operant conditioning then mention behaviourism and evidence from studies such as Skinner.

Methodological - similar to above but why you chose your methodology such as a experimental design as opposed to a natural or quasi experimental design

*I think* I haven’t done A level psychology for a good 8 years!

going by the marking scheme which kind of hints what i should write but doesnt make it clear enough, you are pretty on point. Thanks a ton for your help.
Reply 7
Original post by Sb_br
Got it, one last thing, what does it mean when the question asks for a Psychological and Methodological evidence for my designed study?

It means that you are required to explain in detail what your reasons are for choosing the method(s) that you did for your study. And those reasons would be directly related to what your understanding of the relevant psychology ideas/theories are.

Quick Reply

Latest