The Student Room Group
University of Chichester
University of Chichester
Chichester

University of Chichester applicants 2020

Hello everyone :smile:

If have applied or are thinking of applying to us, feel free to comment on this thread to find others that are also applying or to ask us any questions that you may have!

For anyone who may not have heard of us...

We are a campus-based University of the South Coast of England with one of our campuses being 915 steps away from the beach. We have a strong teaching heritage that dates back to 1839 and hold community close to our hearts as all of our students are known by name, not by number.

Book your Open Day: chi.ac.uk/opendays
To get a glimpse of student life: chilife.co.uk :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Just wondering why actually wants to go chichester uni? And if so can we get to know each other hhaah
University of Chichester
University of Chichester
Chichester
I'm applying to Chichester! I'm applying to do Music with Teaching, and I play classical guitar as my main instrument, but also electric guitar, vocals (tenor), bass guitar, basic piano and I'm teaching myself clarinet (and hopefully trumpet at some point too).
What are you applying for?
Original post by remussjhj01
I'm applying to Chichester! I'm applying to do Music with Teaching, and I play classical guitar as my main instrument, but also electric guitar, vocals (tenor), bass guitar, basic piano and I'm teaching myself clarinet (and hopefully trumpet at some point too).

Oooo is chichester your first choice? And you sound super smart omg I wanna do acting for film hahah
Original post by Ideksophiexx
Oooo is chichester your first choice? And you sound super smart omg I wanna do acting for film hahah

I'm not really sure yet. At the moment my favourite course is the one at Surrey, but there's a whole load of bs going on so idk if that's gonna happen. I'm on a gap year though, so I've got time.
I've heard Chichester is really good for acting!
Where else are you applying for?
I looked round norwich university of the Arts today and wasn’t a fan, it’s literally either Chichester or Southampton-Solent university, it’s hard to find university’s that specifically focus on just acting for television/film etc but yeah go for the uni which will benefit you more and help you career wise :smile:
I looked round norwich university of the Arts today and wasn’t a fan, it’s literally either Chichester or Southampton-Solent university, it’s hard to find university’s that specifically focus on just acting for television/film etc but yeah go for the uni which will benefit you more and help you career wise :smile:

What is it that makes you want to focus on TV/film acting?
not sure really, ever since I was younger ive wanted to be on tv and be in films, I’d love people watching me n being like omg I wanna be just like her just kinda inspire people and make my mum proud
What is it that makes you want to focus on TV/film acting?
not sure really, ever since I was younger ive wanted to be on tv and be in films, I’d love people watching me n being like omg I wanna be just like her just kinda inspire people and make my mum proud

That's fair. I'd love to be a performing musician, so I get that.

Hey @Ideksophiexx! If you have any questions about the course or us as a University please feel free to ask :smile:. We have a lot of great acting courses at the University and would love to help you wherever we can!

Hey @remussjhj01! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask us to help you make your decision! :smile:

Our Music department is one of the biggest in the country and we have a lot of opportunities outside of the music degrees such as orchestra's, bands, open mic nights, carbaret nights and plenty of chances to learn other instruments!
Original post by University of Chichester
Hey @remussjhj01! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask us to help you make your decision! :smile:

Our Music department is one of the biggest in the country and we have a lot of opportunities outside of the music degrees such as orchestra's, bands, open mic nights, carbaret nights and plenty of chances to learn other instruments!

I do have a couple if that's okay?
1). If you have any more detail about learning new instruments, that would be great.
2). What kinds of ensembles are there? Are any open to classical guitarists or absolute beginners on trumpet/clarinet?
3). What's the audition process like for music (what kinds of things will I have to do etc)? Will I have to do a separate interview for the teaching part of my degree and if I do, will it be in the same day?
4). I'm also looking at your music performance courses. Will the audition for those be different or will it be the same audition for both degrees?
I understand these are very subject specific, so no worries if you can't find all the info. Thanks for the help! :smile:
I do have a couple if that's okay?
1). If you have any more detail about learning new instruments, that would be great.
2). What kinds of ensembles are there? Are any open to classical guitarists or absolute beginners on trumpet/clarinet?
3). What's the audition process like for music (what kinds of things will I have to do etc)? Will I have to do a separate interview for the teaching part of my degree and if I do, will it be in the same day?
4). I'm also looking at your music performance courses. Will the audition for those be different or will it be the same audition for both degrees?
I understand these are very subject specific, so no worries if you can't find all the info. Thanks for the help! :smile:

One of our Music students Jess has answered your questions!

1. There’s three ways of learning a new instruments really. You can either choose to have a new instrument as your second study and split your lesson times. Or you can pay for extra lessons and learn that way. The department have loads of instruments behind the desk that we can borrow. Not sure how much extra lessons are though. Finally, you can join the brass band training band, get free group lessons and then work your way into the main band.

2. There’s so many ensembles! Wind Band, Brass Band, Marching Band, Big Band, Sleepy Lagoon Orchestra, Chamber Choir, Symphonic Choir, Sax/Clarinet Group, Jazz Ensembles, Concert Orchestra, and probably more I’ve forgotten. Most are open to anyone, some require auditions.

3. The auditions are really relaxed (mine was 4 years ago but I doubt it’s changed much!) There’s usually 8-10 of you in a group, you have a campus tour with Ben Hall the head of music then you all head over to the Chapel (our big performance space) and you play to each other. Ben usually accompanies as well if needed. You only need to play/sing for 3-4 mins and there’s no formal interview afterwards either. I would recommend you chat to Ben afterwards because he loves it when people take an interest. Be polite, be helpful and say thank you. He will remember that!

4. The audition process for the Music courses are the same. Musical Theatre is different, but if it’s just the music based courses you’re interested in then it’s the same audition process. No need to get stressed, try and enjoy it!

If you have any more questions for Jess, feel free to ask and she will answer them for you :smile:
One of our Music students Jess has answered your questions!

1. There’s three ways of learning a new instruments really. You can either choose to have a new instrument as your second study and split your lesson times. Or you can pay for extra lessons and learn that way. The department have loads of instruments behind the desk that we can borrow. Not sure how much extra lessons are though. Finally, you can join the brass band training band, get free group lessons and then work your way into the main band.

2. There’s so many ensembles! Wind Band, Brass Band, Marching Band, Big Band, Sleepy Lagoon Orchestra, Chamber Choir, Symphonic Choir, Sax/Clarinet Group, Jazz Ensembles, Concert Orchestra, and probably more I’ve forgotten. Most are open to anyone, some require auditions.

3. The auditions are really relaxed (mine was 4 years ago but I doubt it’s changed much!) There’s usually 8-10 of you in a group, you have a campus tour with Ben Hall the head of music then you all head over to the Chapel (our big performance space) and you play to each other. Ben usually accompanies as well if needed. You only need to play/sing for 3-4 mins and there’s no formal interview afterwards either. I would recommend you chat to Ben afterwards because he loves it when people take an interest. Be polite, be helpful and say thank you. He will remember that!

4. The audition process for the Music courses are the same. Musical Theatre is different, but if it’s just the music based courses you’re interested in then it’s the same audition process. No need to get stressed, try and enjoy it!

If you have any more questions for Jess, feel free to ask and she will answer them for you :smile:

That's great, thanks so much for all this! It sounds like there's loads of really great opportunities, which is really great. I do have just a couple more, one again in relation to the instrumental lessons.
1).What standard does the audition piece have to be? I'm aiming for grade 8, but I've just started them so I'm not sure they'll be ready in time.
2). If I decided to split my lessons and do a second study, would it bring my overall grade down because I'm not playing to a grade 7-ish+ standard and am playing as a beginner?
3). Do you have any advice for open days? I'm going this weekend and want to make sure I get it all right :smile:
Hope that makes sense and thanks for all the help :smile:
That's great, thanks so much for all this! It sounds like there's loads of really great opportunities, which is really great. I do have just a couple more, one again in relation to the instrumental lessons.
1).What standard does the audition piece have to be? I'm aiming for grade 8, but I've just started them so I'm not sure they'll be ready in time.
2). If I decided to split my lessons and do a second study, would it bring my overall grade down because I'm not playing to a grade 7-ish+ standard and am playing as a beginner?
3). Do you have any advice for open days? I'm going this weekend and want to make sure I get it all right :smile:
Hope that makes sense and thanks for all the help :smile:

Jess has answered these questions for you below :smile:

1. Standard doesn’t matter as long as you play it well. Ben (Head of Music) would rather you played a piece you love with confidence than something off the Grade 8 syllabus that you can’t play as well. I went for something more unusual and Ben enjoyed that!

2. So depending on the course you do depends if you get assessed in your 2nd study. Any BA music courses you can split your lesson times but won’t be assessed in your 2nd study. Any BMus course you must have a 2nd study and are assessed in it. However, the department understands that it’s a 2nd study and as long as you can play something that’s all that matters. For example, we had someone on first study violin and second study baritone horn and for his baritone assessment he played some technical studies he’d been working on and did really well because he knew them well. As long as you play within your ability of the instrument that’s all that matters.

3. For open day I would talk to some of our Music student ambassadors (they’ll be hanging around the music block all day and will love to talk your ear off about the courses!) and go to the course talk that Ben will be running too. He will give a brief overview of the courses and answer any questions you may have as well. Do stick around afterwards and chat to him if you have any more questions. Also try and get a campus tour as well to get a good feel for the uni because yes the course is important but you have to think “can I live here for 3 or 4 years?” It’s all about personal preference and we can’t make you fall for us but we will try for sure!

Jess will also be around on Open Day if you want to speak to her about her experience too!
Reply 15
Original post by username5027084
Just wondering why actually wants to go chichester uni? And if so can we get to know each other hhaah

I have appplied to chichister uni but I think I am putting it as my 3rd option, not sure yet!
Original post by no.198
I have appplied to chichister uni but I think I am putting it as my 3rd option, not sure yet!

Hey @no.198, what are you applying for? :smile:
Reply 17
Hey @no.198, what are you applying for? :smile:

Early years primary education
Original post by no.198
Early years primary education

Great choice! We have actually been training teachers since 1839 so we have a strong teaching heritage and a great reputation in the local area, 100% of our Primary Teaching students were in employment six months after graduating.

If you have any questions about the course or university in general, we are happy to help!
Reply 19
Great choice! We have actually been training teachers since 1839 so we have a strong teaching heritage and a great reputation in the local area, 100% of our Primary Teaching students were in employment six months after graduating.

If you have any questions about the course or university in general, we are happy to help!

thankyou!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending