The Student Room Group

A- Level options (please help)

Hi, I am going to be doing Biology, Chemistry and Maths (in that order) but I would like to do more. I don't want to be subconsciously discriminated against because I have only 3 A- Levels and I know that it's better to get higher grades in those 3 than lower in 4 but for the universities I am aiming for, I think something extra is necessary for me.

If I were to do a 4th A-Level, which I am considering, I would do Art. The main issue is that I would need to ensure it isn't too time-consuming. However, my Art exam would be done earlier than the rest of my subjects, allowing me to spend more time revising them. However, I could get worse grades in the other subjects because of Art and if I dropped it, I would be left with 3 A- Levels, which is what made me do 4 A- Levels in the first place ( I want more than 3). However, if I did continue, it would show I was logical as well as creative and also able to do 4 A- Levels, meaning I have certain skills or am not just average.

If I did an EPQ, it would be worth less but I could talk about it in interviews and write about it in my personal statement. Could I do an EPQ on a question relating to Biology if I also take Biology A- Level or would I do it on Art? It would also show I have essay writing skills and can write more than the short answers required in Maths and Science.

Please, please leave any opinions, advice or even experience. I would greatly appreciate it.
You won’t be discriminated because you do 4 alevels but I suggest you shouldn’t do 4 alevels because it will appeal to your university. You should do it if you have a genuine interest in it and can’t choose or it’s further maths if you are already doing maths.

Art is really time consuming if you can’t balance your time properly and that’s with 3. It’ll be really hard to do with another 3 alevels on top so only do it if you’re interested in it. If you believe you’ll get worst grades in the other subjects because of art, i totally agree you could so I wouldn’t risk it because all university only require 3; when they do give you an offer of 4 a-levels, you still be required to get high grades in them. All of biology Chemistry and maths give you the skills to be logical due to applying knowledge to situations. You could be creative in other ways and a easy one to show it in would be an extra curricular. They want to know your interest in the course more rather than your skills unless it’s not academic. If you get really good grades in 3 alevels, you are more than an average person but however if you do badly in 4, you’ll have average grades.

EPQ I RECOMMEND DEFINITELY. You could totally talk about it in both to show you’re interest in your course and sometimes unis give conditional offers that lowers the grades to some extent. Do an epq on a question relating to your course it’s the only time you’ll do a subject in your school that goes further in depth for it. However I suggest you try it and if you can’t do it or can’t handle the stress of yr 13 on top, I wouldn’t do it but I strongly suggest it.
Hi there,

I am in Year 13 and currently studying biology chemistry and maths. I am predicted A*A*A and getting these grade is a lot of hard work. Art I’ve heard is very very time consuming and doing 3 alone is enough for every university! No university will ever expect more than 3 A-Levels. I have applied to Cambridge with these 3. From what my teacher has told me, (an example) those who have 4 have no advantage and may even be asked to attain 4 grades rather than 3. So if you apply with 4A* prediction even though the entry is 3A*s they may actually expect for you to get the 4 and not getting that will not get you in. I understand your dilemma as I also wanted to take a 4th but my teachers all advised against it and I am very happy they did as the ones I do at the moment are a lot of work as it is.

If you know you want to do something science related at university do not bother with a 4th subject like Art as they likely won’t care because you’re doing science. Also if you’re at a state school Definetly do 3. If you’re privately educated a 4th may be helpful as if you’re thinking oxbridge, they take into consideration what school you were at and if at a state they would only expect you to have 3.

Hope this helps:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by name10
Hi, I am going to be doing Biology, Chemistry and Maths (in that order) but I would like to do more. I don't want to be subconsciously discriminated against because I have only 3 A- Levels and I know that it's better to get higher grades in those 3 than lower in 4 but for the universities I am aiming for, I think something extra is necessary for me.

If I were to do a 4th A-Level, which I am considering, I would do Art. The main issue is that I would need to ensure it isn't too time-consuming. However, my Art exam would be done earlier than the rest of my subjects, allowing me to spend more time revising them. However, I could get worse grades in the other subjects because of Art and if I dropped it, I would be left with 3 A- Levels, which is what made me do 4 A- Levels in the first place ( I want more than 3). However, if I did continue, it would show I was logical as well as creative and also able to do 4 A- Levels, meaning I have certain skills or am not just average.

If I did an EPQ, it would be worth less but I could talk about it in interviews and write about it in my personal statement. Could I do an EPQ on a question relating to Biology if I also take Biology A- Level or would I do it on Art? It would also show I have essay writing skills and can write more than the short answers required in Maths and Science.

Please, please leave any opinions, advice or even experience. I would greatly appreciate it.

Couple of things I wanna say

1. You don’t be discriminated against for taking 3 A levels: most people do 3 and unis only ask for 3. It also doesn’t make you ‘average’ and don’t do a 4th one for the sake of doing it, if it doesn’t contribute anything to your UCAS application.
2. If you like art, do it. Don’t just do it for the sake of doing a fourth A Level: I made that mistake doing economics and I hated it because I wasn’t actually passionate about it. True, 4 a-levels is more work than 3, but if you like the subject and you’re good at it, you should do well in four. And as you said doing art will show range.
3. If you’re worried about 4 subjects being too much, I did 4 subjects and an EPQ, and even though I didn’t do well in my 4th subject due to me picking a bad a level, I still got an AAB prediction and an A* in my EPQ. So it’s totally do-able.
4. I would highly recommend an EPQ. I did it in under a year and it actually wasn’t that stressful. You only need to spend about 1.5 - 2 hours on it a week for a year and you can easily get an A or an A*. Picking a subject you are passionate about doesn’t make it seem like work, it can show range if you don’t do essay subjects, it mimics uni style dissertations (preparing u for uni) and it actually very satisfying to finish it. It also gives you 28 extra UCAS points and can lower the admission requirements for some unis. You can do it on whatever you want, although doing it on something you study or wanna do at uni means you can talk about it interviews and UCAS.
Reply 4
Original post by PetitePanda
You won’t be discriminated because you do 4 alevels but I suggest you shouldn’t do 4 alevels because it will appeal to your university. You should do it if you have a genuine interest in it and can’t choose or it’s further maths if you are already doing maths.

Art is really time consuming if you can’t balance your time properly and that’s with 3. It’ll be really hard to do with another 3 alevels on top so only do it if you’re interested in it. If you believe you’ll get worst grades in the other subjects because of art, i totally agree you could so I wouldn’t risk it because all university only require 3; when they do give you an offer of 4 a-levels, you still be required to get high grades in them. All of biology Chemistry and maths give you the skills to be logical due to applying knowledge to situations. You could be creative in other ways and a easy one to show it in would be an extra curricular. They want to know your interest in the course more rather than your skills unless it’s not academic. If you get really good grades in 3 alevels, you are more than an average person but however if you do badly in 4, you’ll have average grades.

EPQ I RECOMMEND DEFINITELY. You could totally talk about it in both to show you’re interest in your course and sometimes unis give conditional offers that lowers the grades to some extent. Do an epq on a question relating to your course it’s the only time you’ll do a subject in your school that goes further in depth for it. However I suggest you try it and if you can’t do it or can’t handle the stress of yr 13 on top, I wouldn’t do it but I strongly suggest it.

Thank you. I never thought to show creativity through extra curriculars. I think I will go for the EPQ.
Reply 5
Original post by AHoek10
Couple of things I wanna say

1. You don’t be discriminated against for taking 3 A levels: most people do 3 and unis only ask for 3. It also doesn’t make you ‘average’ and don’t do a 4th one for the sake of doing it, if it doesn’t contribute anything to your UCAS application.
2. If you like art, do it. Don’t just do it for the sake of doing a fourth A Level: I made that mistake doing economics and I hated it because I wasn’t actually passionate about it. True, 4 a-levels is more work than 3, but if you like the subject and you’re good at it, you should do well in four. And as you said doing art will show range.
3. If you’re worried about 4 subjects being too much, I did 4 subjects and an EPQ, and even though I didn’t do well in my 4th subject due to me picking a bad a level, I still got an AAB prediction and an A* in my EPQ. So it’s totally do-able.
4. I would highly recommend an EPQ. I did it in under a year and it actually wasn’t that stressful. You only need to spend about 1.5 - 2 hours on it a week for a year and you can easily get an A or an A*. Picking a I didn't realise how little time it takes or how do-able it is. Thank you subject you are passionate about doesn’t make it seem like work, it can show range if you don’t do essay subjects, it mimics uni style dissertations (preparing u for uni) and it actually very satisfying to finish it. It also gives you 28 extra UCAS points and can lower the admission requirements for some unis. You can do it on whatever you want, although doing it on something you study or wanna do at uni means you can talk about it interviews and UCAS.

I didn't realise how little time it takes or how do-able it is. Thank you
Reply 6
Original post by lilylovesdonkeys
Hi there,

I am in Year 13 and currently studying biology chemistry and maths. I am predicted A*A*A and getting these grade is a lot of hard work. Art I’ve heard is very very time consuming and doing 3 alone is enough for every university! No university will ever expect more than 3 A-Levels. I have applied to Cambridge with these 3. From what my teacher has told me, (an example) those who have 4 have no advantage and may even be asked to attain 4 grades rather than 3. So if you apply with 4A* prediction even though the entry is 3A*s they may actually expect for you to get the 4 and not getting that will not get you in. I understand your dilemma as I also wanted to take a 4th but my teachers all advised against it and I am very happy they did as the ones I do at the moment are a lot of work as it is.

If you know you want to do something science related at university do not bother with a 4th subject like Art as they likely won’t care because you’re doing science. Also if you’re at a state school Definetly do 3. If you’re privately educated a 4th may be helpful as if you’re thinking oxbridge, they take into consideration what school you were at and if at a state they would only expect you to have 3.

Hope this helps:smile:

It did help, thank you. What you're doing is exactly what I see myself doing.

Quick Reply

Latest