The Student Room Group

Accused of plagiarism, any advice please! I didn’t plagiarise.

I’m a third year student studying Business and Marketing at Coventry University.

I recently submitted coursework (literature review). Lecturer asked us to use journal articles, books and mintel. The first part was discussing the theory then the second part was applying the theory to two organisations.

I used loads of references, as I thought I’m in third year so they’d expect me to use more and research further rather than using generic sources.

The word count was 2,000 and we can 10% limit over, so I did 2,200.

I used 56 references and 6 in my bibliography.

I have referenced everything, I double and triple checked everything but unfortunately because I used so many references my similarity score came up high on turnitin ☹️

I attached screenshots of the similarity scores.. Hope you can see them.
The 7% is my question title, module name, word count and lecturers name. Everything else is just references - I got loads of 1%. I also have <1?!

All my references have been cited, in references.. I also have “” and page numbers where appropriate.

In addition to all this, I have emails over two week period of my coursework drafts which prove I was doing the work. I don’t like USB as I’m afraid I will lose them - I prefer sending myself emails of the work.

I also went and got feedback from my lecturer - 3 times!!!

I have printed 6 copies of my drafts with different dates which can be proved by my emails, I can show them on my iPad for them to check:

Sorry for the long post, I’m really stressed and can’t believe I’m being accused of plagiarism ☹️

Feel like crying 😢

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Attachment not found
Reply 2
Attachment not found
Reply 3
Attachment not found
Reply 4
Attachment not found
Reply 5
Attachment not found
Reply 6
Attachment not found
Reply 7
I have an ACO meeting next week ☹️
Original post by Anonymous
I’m a third year student studying Business and Marketing at Coventry University.

I recently submitted coursework (literature review). Lecturer asked us to use journal articles, books and mintel. The first part was discussing the theory then the second part was applying the theory to two organisations.

I used loads of references, as I thought I’m in third year so they’d expect me to use more and research further rather than using generic sources.

The word count was 2,000 and we can 10% limit over, so I did 2,200.

I used 56 references and 6 in my bibliography.

I have referenced everything, I double and triple checked everything but unfortunately because I used so many references my similarity score came up high on turnitin ☹️

I attached screenshots of the similarity scores.. Hope you can see them.
The 7% is my question title, module name, word count and lecturers name. Everything else is just references - I got loads of 1%. I also have <1?!

All my references have been cited, in references.. I also have “” and page numbers where appropriate.

In addition to all this, I have emails over two week period of my coursework drafts which prove I was doing the work. I don’t like USB as I’m afraid I will lose them - I prefer sending myself emails of the work.

I also went and got feedback from my lecturer - 3 times!!!

I have printed 6 copies of my drafts with different dates which can be proved by my emails, I can show them on my iPad for them to check:

Sorry for the long post, I’m really stressed and can’t believe I’m being accused of plagiarism ☹️

Feel like crying 😢

The first thing that hit me when I read your post was the fact that you have 56 references for a 2,200 word piece. That is a huge amount in proportion to the number of words: that's 1 reference approx. every 39 words. What exactly in your lit review is your own thoughts or ideas? Did you reference every single sentence? Something is off here. To be called to a meeting indicates that they have concerns other than (or in addition to) the flagging up of your reference list - they would manually check your similarity report before arranging any meetings for plagiarism.

I am confused as to why your lecturer didn't flag this up to you.
Reply 9
Original post by PhoenixFortune
The first thing that hit me when I read your post was the fact that you have 56 references for a 2,200 word piece. That is a huge amount in proportion to the number of words: that's 1 reference approx. every 39 words. What exactly in your lit review is your own thoughts or ideas? Did you reference every single sentence? Something is off here. To be called to a meeting indicates that they have concerns other than (or in addition to) the flagging up of your reference list - they would manually check your similarity report before arranging any meetings for plagiarism.

He didn’t speak to me at all or tell me what was wrong, all he said was my similarity score was high.

First part:
The assignment consists of discussing the theories and then finding arguments between authors.

In some references, I had multiple authors in one reference.

He told us to use journal articles and books.

None of it was my own work because it was discussing theories and applying the knowledge.

The second part:
He wanted the theories applied to two organisations, which consisted of journal articles and Mintel.

When I showed him my work he didn’t say anything about how many references I had.. The issue is the similarity score.
Original post by PhoenixFortune

I spoke to my lecturer and asked what the issue was with my coursework, all he said was similarity score was high.

He didn’t mention me using too many references .
I also went to him and showed my coursework 3 times, if he had a issue with how many references I used he should have said then.
You definitely overused the references.

Way overused .

You use a reference to back up a point or to show an example. Generally.

I'd expect 20 references max. Even 20 is alot.
Original post by adam271

Way overused .

But if that was the case, why didn’t he say anything to me when I showed him my work 3 times?

I’m happy to take on board constructive criticism and change the way I worked. Even in the email, all he said is similarity score is high. Didn’t mention anything about too many references.
My friend used 35-40 references 😕
Original post by adam271

Way overused .

There was no example to show.

I had to critically evaluate 3 theories, using journal articles. In some references there were multiple authors and they all needed to be referenced.

Then, I had to apply that theory (3) to 2 organisations which consisted of more references.
Did you use alot of quotes?
Original post by Anonymous
There was no example to show.

I had to critically evaluate 3 theories, using journal articles. In some references there were multiple authors and they all needed to be referenced.

Then, I had to apply that theory (3) to 2 organisations which consisted of more references.

Slightly confused
If a source has multiple authors it still counts as one reference.
If it is a discussion with him, then it might be just to highlight where you went wrong e.g. excessive use of references. They put the entire document through the system to check for plagiarism, there is leniency for references but given the amount you used, if probably account for over half you words?
Original post by adam271
Slightly confused
If a source has multiple authors it still counts as one reference.

Oh right.. I cited them together the way they did in the journal articles.

I just wish he would have told me when I showed him my work that I used too many references.. I would have happily deleted them and only used small amount.

But I thought as third year more research is needed hence why I did that and used more references.

He also said my work was much better and that I didn’t need to come back to see him ☹️

The issue is similarity score - because I used too many references it’s flagging that up as all 1%.

Quick Reply

Latest