The Student Room Group

weight loss motivation?

could someone please give me some motivation for losing weight at home? i’m trying to cook for myself and do exercise when i can but i feel like my efforts are futile and give up too easily :frown: i just wanna do something that will actually be worthwhile

Scroll to see replies

You lose weight when you eat less than you need to eat to maintain. It’s best to lose slowly so eat at a deficit of 500 calories in my opinion. I have tried cutting calories by 1000 and mentally it’s too depressing. My TDEE is about 2450 so for me it’s best I eat 1950 calories to lose weight

But yeah focus on eating less. Cut out fast food completely except for social occasion. It’s best to weigh your food and calculate on MFP. If you don’t cook just focus on cutting out the junk, walking more basically life style changes.

I always used to tell myself ITS NOT A MATTER OF IF ITS JUST A MATTER OF WHEN.

And btw weigh yourself before breakfast (and use the toilet before you weigh yourself).

But yeah you can do it. Just commit. Trust me I used to be 79kg now I’m 67kg. I remember doubting myself when I first started
Reply 2
Original post by SuperHuman98
You lose weight when you eat less than you need to eat to maintain. It’s best to lose slowly so eat at a deficit of 500 calories in my opinion. I have tried cutting calories by 1000 and mentally it’s too depressing. My TDEE is about 2450 so for me it’s best I eat 1950 calories to lose weight

But yeah focus on eating less. Cut out fast food completely except for social occasion. It’s best to weigh your food and calculate on MFP. If you don’t cook just focus on cutting out the junk, walking more basically life style changes.

I always used to tell myself ITS NOT A MATTER OF IF ITS JUST A MATTER OF WHEN.

And btw weigh yourself before breakfast (and use the toilet before you weigh yourself).

But yeah you can do it. Just commit. Trust me I used to be 79kg now I’m 67kg. I remember doubting myself when I first started

thank you for the tips. as much as i want to use mfp as everyone says it’s so good, because i eat in college i have no idea how to measure these so i could be underestimating how many calories i’m eating, and taking my own food in isn’t an option :/
it takes time. do you really expect weight to drop off overnight - just think about it... its not possible. give it atleast 1 month and be strict with your diet.
Original post by Anonymous
thank you for the tips. as much as i want to use mfp as everyone says it’s so good, because i eat in college i have no idea how to measure these so i could be underestimating how many calories i’m eating, and taking my own food in isn’t an option :/

What do you eat in college? I gained a lot of weight in year 13 because of bad lunch choices. Changing the unhealthy for healthier options will help
Reply 5
it takes time. do you really expect weight to drop off overnight - just think about it... its not possible. give it atleast 1 month and be strict with your diet.

of course i know it will take a while, my problem is finding the motivation to continue in the meantime
Reply 6
Original post by SuperHuman98
What do you eat in college? I gained a lot of weight in year 13 because of bad lunch choices. Changing the unhealthy for healthier options will help

admittedly i take dessert pretty much every day which i really should stop doing, i’m trying my best to have more salad with what i eat now as well. it’s unfortunate because they offer less fruit than they did in the past which is making it more difficult for me to choose it over dessert. i know that sweet things in general only provide a short term benefit and they’re really not worth it but i genuinely don’t know how to stop myself from craving and giving into them :frown:
Reply 7
anyone?
Cutting caloriesnisnt the only option, obviously exercise, but changing the types of food you eat works too. Eat more protein, apparently you body doesn't store extra protein it gets rid of it, whereas carbs it stores. Eating little and often help, instead of a big meal several small ones. I really struggled with dieting until I made a few manageable changes, can still eat nice things just takes a few weeks to get used to the change
Reply 9
Original post by Bobcheese90
Cutting caloriesnisnt the only option, obviously exercise, but changing the types of food you eat works too. Eat more protein, apparently you body doesn't store extra protein it gets rid of it, whereas carbs it stores. Eating little and often help, instead of a big meal several small ones. I really struggled with dieting until I made a few manageable changes, can still eat nice things just takes a few weeks to get used to the change

thanks! have you ever had the issue of snacking out of boredom and if so how did you deal with it?
Are you at uni? I find that consuming protein, i.e. chicken breast, fish, eggs, protein shakes, helps me feel full longer so I eat little to no snacks. Try to walk as much as you can too.
Don’t fixate on physical appearance because I’ve been going to the gym to put on muscle and that demotivated me highly. Instead, fixate on your weight and if it’s changing, that’s how I keep myself motivated because I see it going up and I can also tell I’m getting stronger with what I’m doing. If you weigh yourself every week or something and see progress that should keep up motivation
thanks! have you ever had the issue of snacking out of boredom and if so how did you deal with it?

Yeah quite a bit :P I took advantage of that habit though, bought healthy snacks like nuts, rice cakes, fruit, protein balls and made it a kind of alternate to a meal, so snacked regularly over quite a few hours so I didnt get hungry enough to eat a full meal, and just ate something little in the evening :smile: stops overeating aswell, gradually your stomach will get smaller so you feel full quicker. From what I have heard, our bodies were designed to graze/snack more than eating full meals :smile:

Also thought I would add, don't focus too much on calories, just look at nutritional content, will work out better :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Are you at uni? I find that consuming protein, i.e. chicken breast, fish, eggs, protein shakes, helps me feel full longer so I eat little to no snacks. Try to walk as much as you can too.

no, school/college and thanks for the tips :smile:
Original post by ArabLlama
Don’t fixate on physical appearance because I’ve been going to the gym to put on muscle and that demotivated me highly. Instead, fixate on your weight and if it’s changing, that’s how I keep myself motivated because I see it going up and I can also tell I’m getting stronger with what I’m doing. If you weigh yourself every week or something and see progress that should keep up motivation

oh ok i see how it can be beneficial but i’m worried about focusing too much on numbers, if i saw it was going up instead of down i’d be really discouraged
Yeah quite a bit :P I took advantage of that habit though, bought healthy snacks like nuts, rice cakes, fruit, protein balls and made it a kind of alternate to a meal, so snacked regularly over quite a few hours so I didnt get hungry enough to eat a full meal, and just ate something little in the evening :smile: stops overeating aswell, gradually your stomach will get smaller so you feel full quicker. From what I have heard, our bodies were designed to graze/snack more than eating full meals :smile:

Also thought I would add, don't focus too much on calories, just look at nutritional content, will work out better :smile:

oh right, thank you!
oh ok i see how it can be beneficial but i’m worried about focusing too much on numbers, if i saw it was going up instead of down i’d be really discouraged

Yeah I understand that, I’ll be honest. Much like with me going to the gym the beginning of your journey might not be ideal. (Mine definitely wasn’t, took me two months to start gaining weight) because when you start something like this there’s a lot you need to learn, maybe at the beginning you don’t check your weight every week, maybe every 2 or even 3 weeks to give yourself some more time. Even a small difference during that time can keep you motivated. Also here’s another thing, make sure your conditions are the same every time you weigh yourself eg you’ve just woken up on a Monday morning and the first thing you do is weigh yourself. Sometimes like having just eaten or wearing different clothes etc can make you think you’re gaining weight which would not be good. Mental perspective makes a huge difference to things like this
could someone please give me some motivation for losing weight at home? i’m trying to cook for myself and do exercise when i can but i feel like my efforts are futile and give up too easily :frown: i just wanna do something that will actually be worthwhile

Oh this is definitely my department

You might have been going up because of muscle gain, muscle weighs more than fat, I’m 76kg and at the start of my weight loss journey I was 88kg, I went down to about 70kg and then I started to see that I was gaining weight and was initially discouraged but then I realised I was gaining muscle

Having smaller and more frequent meals is actually better for you and helps for healthy weight loss

Quick Reply

Latest