The Student Room Group

Actuarial Science 2020 Applicants Thread

Basically everyone I talk to barely knows what Actuarial Science is so I was curious to see everyone else applying for undergraduate actuarial courses this year🤷🏽*♀️

GCSEs: 99888877AB
A Level predicted grades: Maths A*, Economics A, English Lit A

Application sent off: 30/10/2019

LSE: Actuarial Science
Acknowledged: 5/11/2019

Cass Business School: Actuarial Science

Manchester: Actuarial Science and Mathematics
Acknowledged: 31/10/2019
Interview invite: 4/11/2019 (actual interview is 27/11/2019)

Queen Mary UoL: Maths with Actuarial Science
Offer: 31/10/2019 (AAB)

Kent: Actuarial Science
Offer: 1/11/2019 (AAB but ABB if firmed)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kellychikz
Basically everyone I talk to barely knows what Actuarial Science is so I was curious to see everyone else applying for undergraduate actuarial courses this year🤷🏽*♀️

Hey there!
Congratulations on your offer to study Actuarial Science at the University of Kent :biggrin: I'm currently in my final year at Kent so if you have any questions about life at Kent or Actuarial Science at Kent, then please feel free to ask!
Best of luck with the rest of your university applications :smile:
Hey I’m applying for 2020 to do actuarial science at Heriot-Watt😊
Reply 3
Hi, I'm applying for Actuarial Science at CASS and LSE as well! but also MORSE at Warwick and Southampton. Good to know there are people to talk to about this. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Sugarnan
Hi, I'm applying for Actuarial Science at CASS and LSE as well! but also MORSE at Warwick and Southampton. Good to know there are people to talk to about this. :smile:

I considered MORSE and Southampton too, even went to the Southampton open day. What’s your top choice so far?
Reply 5
Original post by aphamanda

I heard heriot watt is rlly good, what are your other options?
Reply 6
I considered MORSE and Southampton too, even went to the Southampton open day. What’s your top choice so far?

I'm actually struggling to decide between LSE, UCL and Warwick at the moment. LSE does have the actuarial science degree and with that the exemptions and the reputation but from what I've heard UCL and Warwick are better unis in terms of student life and teaching (apparently the teachers at LSE although you are always welcome to approach them, they are more focused on their research. UCL im applying for stats econ and finance but the only problem is i have to apply for the exemptions myself so im not so sure about how it works. Warwick is a really good uni and the course sounds great but I'm not sure whether i want to move out of London or go to unis in London.

I still haven't completely submitted my application so i haven't even got any offers to decide from haha. :colondollar:

any thoughts?
Reply 7
I'm actually struggling to decide between LSE, UCL and Warwick at the moment. LSE does have the actuarial science degree and with that the exemptions and the reputation but from what I've heard UCL and Warwick are better unis in terms of student life and teaching (apparently the teachers at LSE although you are always welcome to approach them, they are more focused on their research. UCL im applying for stats econ and finance but the only problem is i have to apply for the exemptions myself so im not so sure about how it works. Warwick is a really good uni and the course sounds great but I'm not sure whether i want to move out of London or go to unis in London.

I still haven't completely submitted my application so i haven't even got any offers to decide from haha. :colondollar:

any thoughts?

I’m having the struggle w LSE but my other option is CASS, I haven’t heard from either yet though. Personally, my priority were the exemptions because of how expensive the exams are so I didn’t wanna get into uni debt and also have to pay for the exams too. A lot of ppl do say that LSE is a whole different calibre w how the students are very internship driven and hard working to the point of being less social, I’m not sure about the faculty but that research thing makes sense.
I’d say pick the uni you’d feel most comfortable exam bc all these degree choices are HARDDDD so you might as well enjoy your time at uni. And having to apply for the exemptions, I’m sure many of the students on the course would be applying for the exemptions so you could get help there?
I heard heriot watt is rlly good, what are your other options?

St Andrews - economics and maths
Stirling - accountancy and maths
Dundee - accountancy and maths
Glasgow - accountancy and maths
Reply 9

My interview for Manchester got cancelled due to strikes so they gave me an offer of AAA😄

any thoughts?

I’m having the struggle w LSE but my other option is CASS, I haven’t heard from either yet though. Personally, my priority were the exemptions because of how expensive the exams are so I didn’t wanna get into uni debt and also have to pay for the exams too. A lot of ppl do say that LSE is a whole different calibre w how the students are very internship driven and hard working to the point of being less social, I’m not sure about the faculty but that research thing makes sense.
I’d say pick the uni you’d feel most comfortable exam bc all these degree choices are HARDDDD so you might as well enjoy your time at uni. And having to apply for the exemptions, I’m sure many of the students on the course would be applying for the exemptions so you could get help there?

I'm quoting both of these since they're pretty similar.

If you're set on becoming an Actuary then going for an Actuarial Science course is the best way to get there, sure you can go to other courses but you'll need to pay for your own exam sittings + learning material if you've not got a company paying for them (which is unlikely, as they don't want graduates with no exemptions when they can hire one with exemptions for the same price).

The best thing to do is apply for universities that meet all the exemptions from the IFOA website here (https://www.actuaries.org.uk/studying/exam-exemptions/how-apply-exemption/university-courses-exemptions), since they will all offer the same modules set out by the IFOA. In terms of which universities are best, Cass stands above all other Universities in the world for Actuarial, after that I'm not entirely sure but it would likely be LSE (but like you said, LSE is very research driven, so don't expect much support from lecturers, since they are extremely busy, as are their office hours). After that most of the Universities are essentially the same.
Reply 11

OFFER: AAA or AAB if firmed

Offer: interview cancelled, offer given of AAA

Update, I got an offer from CASS but forgot to update before
Original post by aphamanda

Just got an unconditional :biggrin:
Hi guys,

Predicted: A*A*A ( Maths, Further Maths, Physics)

These are the unis I applied to....

Applied 21/11/2019

LSE - Act Sci
Pending

QMUL - Maths with Act Sci
AAB

Kent - Act Sci
ABB, ACC if firm

York - Act Sci
AAA

Leeds - Act Sci
AAB

Good Luck everyone!!!! 😀

Yeah thanks for the advice. I think from what I have heard CASS is better when it come to the actual degree, with help from the staff, a strong alumni for support and a lot of other things that can overall provide a better experience. My only reason for choosing LSE over CASS is the reputation LSE holds. Sure CASS is also a well known university but I have always wanted to say I went to one of the top universities in the UK. But the point you made about LSE students having less of a social life is the same thing that i heard.

It's why I am leaning towads UCL for statistics economics and finance and Warwick for MORSE over the other two. My problem with Warwick is that it is out of London and my problem with UCL is that its not accredited by IFoA. Sorry just a side question does anyone know about ow to get exemptions with the UCL stats econ and finance degree?
Hi, my A Level Predicted Grades: A* Maths, A Further Maths, A Physics

CASS- Actuarial Science
AAA (Firm AAB)

LSE- waiting on an offer

QMUL- AAA
Hey guys I am also applying for actuarial science and planning on applying to two universities abroad in Canada .

Physics-A
Math-A
Economics-A

Queen mary university
Offer received:AAA

Manchester university
Offer received:AAA

University of Leicester
Offer received:AAB

York and LSE are pending

Also submitted my application early December

UPDATE:GOT an offer from York just LSE now,fingers crossed for all of us x
(edited 4 years ago)

Hey how do you know that you need an interview?Just curious because I got an offer from Manchester actuarial science and there is nothing about an interview why is this?
-Hey guys just getting an idea of whos applying for actuarial science and where?I know no one in school at all is doing it they don't even know what it is.

Predicted Grades
Physics-A
Math-A
Economics-A

Offers received:
-Manchester:AAA
-YORK:AAA
LEICESTER:ABB(BBB) IF FIRM
QUEEN MARY:AAA

LSE:PENDING

Also did anyone get an interview with Manchester because all I got was an email saying that essentially if I was around any day in Manchester they would love to have a chat with me but that was it, its not an interview or anything I don't have to go.
Reply 19
Original post by abbeygyal23
Hey how do you know that you need an interview?Just curious because I got an offer from Manchester actuarial science and there is nothing about an interview why is this?

My interview got cancelled due to strikes so I didn’t end up going, they sent me an offer of AAA. Sorry, I forgot to update the original post

Quick Reply

Latest