The Student Room Group

I’m a complete loner at uni and I don’t know how to deal with it

So I’ve been in first year for about 6 or 7 weeks now and I still don’t have anyone I would call a friend. No one is my enemy per se, but I’m not close with anyone either. My flatmates are decent enough people but I can sometimes fall out with them and they’re always kind of grouped with each other without me. People on my course are also fairly nice but they’ve all already made their own friendship groups, none of which I’m a part of. I have friends from back home but they’re all busy with their own lives at various other universities across the country. The boy I’m seeing is lovely but lives back in my hometown because he is at university there, and because he’s in third year he’s always busy with working, doing his dissertation etc so we don’t get to see each other very often. I don’t blame any of them of course, because no one is obligated to be friends with me or put me before their important academic work. I just feel incredibly lonely and feel as if it’s too late to try make friends now that everyone is settled. Anyone got any suggestions of what to do?
Original post by Anonymous
So I’ve been in first year for about 6 or 7 weeks now and I still don’t have anyone I would call a friend. No one is my enemy per se, but I’m not close with anyone either. My flatmates are decent enough people but I can sometimes fall out with them and they’re always kind of grouped with each other without me. People on my course are also fairly nice but they’ve all already made their own friendship groups, none of which I’m a part of. I have friends from back home but they’re all busy with their own lives at various other universities across the country. The boy I’m seeing is lovely but lives back in my hometown because he is at university there, and because he’s in third year he’s always busy with working, doing his dissertation etc so we don’t get to see each other very often. I don’t blame any of them of course, because no one is obligated to be friends with me or put me before their important academic work. I just feel incredibly lonely and feel as if it’s too late to try make friends now that everyone is settled. Anyone got any suggestions of what to do?

Do you do any activities? Or just going to a local bar/pub or even the library can provide opportunities to meet people. Most of my brothers friends are in different years and he met them through sport. Join a club of something you enjoy or a local gym etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending