The Student Room Group

Do you prefer British or American clothing?

(by market, not by country of manufacture)

I personally prefer American clothing - I find that it tends to fit me better, tends to be less gangsta-like and I find American colour palettes a little less drab than British/European ones. Would you say there's any difference, and if so, do you prefer the clothes that people wear here or there?

Scroll to see replies

dont americans just wear sports clothes??
Both but at least we got PLT
Reply 3
Original post by ThirdBack
dont americans just wear sports clothes??

I don't think so.

Generally it seems slightly less "fashionable" but a little plainer and more comfortable. Regular fit blue jeans are also more common there at the moment, whereas black skinny jeans are all you really see in the UK at the moment, and they don't fit me.

American clothing looks a little more middle class and less chavy in general.
(edited 4 years ago)
I ain't have any idea on how both the clothing style differ? But this thread seems really interesting to me :smile:
although i'm a guy, anyone who actually knows americans knows that Brits tend to dress better - young americans dress like middle aged people OR they just wear t shirt and shorts...
Original post by RJDG14

American clothing looks a little more middle class and less chavy in general.

That's the Preppy Look. Ralph Lauren shirts, loafers, chinos, jumpers around shoulders. I take your general point about chavvy British wear - just look at Boohoo Man. Most of the models look like they've just come out of prison, and it's mainly tracksuits and 'athleisure'. But obviously not all British people would be drawn to those sort of clothes - they're really for benefit scroungers and gymslip mums.
I've bought all my Ralph Lauren shirts from America as they just seem to fit better but the only shirts I've found in England that fit well are hawes and curtis ones.

It's a similar story with jeans and jumpers, stuff over here is usually well fitting in the bust area but too baggy everywhere else.
Reply 8
Original post by Reality Check
That's the Preppy Look. Ralph Lauren shirts, loafers, chinos, jumpers around shoulders. I take your general point about chavvy British wear - just look at Boohoo Man. Most of the models look like they've just come out of prison, and it's mainly tracksuits and 'athleisure'. But obviously not all British people would be drawn to those sort of clothes - they're really for benefit scroungers and gymslip mums.

Boohoo Man's clothing looks nasty. Ralph Lauren polo shirts are good but unfortunately they have been widely adopted by the smartened far right in recent years - if you look at the crowd of a current UKIP or Tommy Robinson demonstration at least a tenth of the men are wearing one. You can buy very similar polo shirts without the emblem for a fraction the price, and this makes more sense if you don't want to spend £50 for a single shirt.

I kind of wanna buy myself some polo shirts (probably non Ralph Lauren but with a similar design) and wondered what colours would be best? I was thinking yellow, orange, green or grey.

I think the difference could be cultural - many Americans want to appear well off, whereas in Britain there's more a culture of dressing down.
Reply 9
Never felt more personally attacked :lol:
Original post by RJDG14
Boohoo Man's clothing looks nasty. Ralph Lauren polo shirts are good but unfortunately they have been widely adopted by the smartened far right in recent years - if you look at the crowd of a current UKIP or Tommy Robinson demonstration at least a tenth of the men are wearing one. You can buy very similar polo shirts without the emblem for a fraction the price, and this makes more sense if you don't want to spend £50 for a single shirt.

I kind of wanna buy myself some polo shirts (probably non Ralph Lauren but with a similar design) and wondered what colours would be best? I was thinking yellow, orange, green or grey.

I think the difference could be cultural - many Americans want to appear well off, whereas in Britain there's more a culture of dressing down.

I agree with most of this post, particularly the final sentence. As for polo shirts, I'd suggest you buy ones to suit your colouring - orange isn't a colour that everyone could wear, but if it suits you, then go for it!
My american clothes look slightly better, but that's probably because I was spent a bit more money on them.
Only problem is trying to find clothes for slimmer people. Trying to find a pair of jeans that is 30" x 34" is a nightmare in the states. However, some years ago, say the 90s, Americans wore very ill-fitted clothing.
Reply 12
Original post by A Rolling Stone
although i'm a guy, anyone who actually knows americans knows that Brits tend to dress better - young americans dress like middle aged people OR they just wear t shirt and shorts...

I find British clothing a little less conventional in general.
.......... whats the difference??
Brits do fashion... Americans follow practical. Continental climate... their winters are colder and their summers hotter. Life or death wins every time. Not possible for them to wear the same outfit all year round making fashion statements near impossible.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by RJDG14
You can buy very similar polo shirts without the emblem for a fraction the price, and this makes more sense if you don't want to spend £50 for a single shirt.

so why buy the ralph lauren one? it's just got a horse on it, it's quite nice, but who cares when you can get a similar designed shirt for a fraction of the price.
Reply 16
Original post by aciana
so why buy the ralph lauren one? it's just got a horse on it, it's quite nice, but who cares when you can get a similar designed shirt for a fraction of the price.

Yep precisely.
Reply 17
Original post by Vinny C
Brits do fashion... Americans follow practical. Continental climate... their winters are colder and their summers hotter. Life or death wins every time. Not possible for them to wear the same outfit all year round making fashion statements near impossible.

I find it ironic that Americans don't generally follow fashion as much as British people do, and yet they still generally appear more attractive.
Who cares if it keeps you warm! I work on oil rigs and give not one **** about who makes it.
Original post by RJDG14
I find it ironic that Americans don't generally follow fashion as much as British people do, and yet they still generally appear more attractive.

Yep... mixed blood. Hungarians the same.... mixed mongrels from all Europe and the East, renowned for their good looks!

Quick Reply

Latest