The Student Room Group

Why are the younger generation not wearing poppies?

Being in my early 20's and i've always paid my respects to the fallen, i can't quite understand why people don't wear the poppy in England?

Im at Uni and i'm the only guy in my class and not a single girl wears the poppy, yet when it's pride month they're all wearing LGQBT stuff (not that i have anything against that). It just seems weird that these people will celebrate and pay their respects to one thing but not the other?

I feel people are completely and utterly out of touch with quite big things. The younger generation feel the older generation are out of touch with the environment because it won't affect them, and they find it stupid that they think that.

Its the same for the younger generation when it comes to paying their respect to the fallen, due to not having a connection or that it was in the pass.

The reason i wear the poppy is to remember all that have fallen, past, present and in the future.

Wear the poppy with pride people, these people experienced the closest simulation of hell in their final moments.

Scroll to see replies

Well said. It's quite obvious there is little respect from some of the younger generation for the older generation, who paid the ultimate price, so we could retain our freedom.
We can remember without wearing a Poppy ya know.......
Original post by OR321
We can remember without wearing a Poppy ya know.......

its a sign of solidarity, to show respect. It literally takes 10 seconds to put one on for about a week. I don't quite understand why, if you're going to show respect, not put one on?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by fireballxray
Being in my early 20's and i've always paid my respects to the fallen, i can't quite understand why people don't wear the poppy in England?

Im at Uni and i'm the only guy in my class and not a single girl wears the poppy, yet when it's pride month they're all wearing LGQBT stuff (not that i have anything against that). It just seems weird that these people will celebrate and pay their respects to one thing but not the other?

I feel people are completely and utterly out of touch with quite big things. The younger generation feel the older generation are out of touch with the environment because it won't affect them, and they find it stupid that they think that.

Its the same for the younger generation when it comes to paying their respect to the fallen, due to not having a connection or that it was in the pass.

The reason i wear the poppy is to remember all that have fallen, past, present and in the future.

Wear the poppy with pride people, these people experienced the closest simulation of hell in their final moments.

The poppy seems to go hand in hand with jingoism and nationalism though. Both those concepts are precisely what led to the first and second world war. In addition the war dead of the current wars seem to get sort of added on to it. Well no. The people serving in current wars volunteered for it so its unfair to conflate the two.

Especially when current wars are quite dubious. I want to respect the dead but I don't feel that should be taken as support of further war which it often is. I also feel that we've been "lest we forgetting" for nearly a century now and still the lessons aren't learned. The phrase reeks of hollow sentiment.
They think the poppy is a smartphone app.
Original post by Karisa96
Well said. It's quite obvious there is little respect from some of the younger generation for the older generation, who paid the ultimate price, so we could retain our freedom.

Unless they're at least 91 none of the older generation served in either of the world wars. At least not legally.
or many of them are conspiracy theorists and think ww2 was fake and orchestrated by the bankers and the Illuminati
This generation do not give a damm about anything

Many of them just want to travel the world, live in Thailand, and believe that Bill Clinton killed Jeffrey Epstein.

Well said, I always have observed the two minutes of silence and I have always been filled with feelings so indescribable when I use that time to consider what they went through.

I have not bought a Poppy since primary. In primary school they would bring in veterans and it was an honour to just stand before them. I haven't bought one since because I could not find it supplied by my school, first two years, and then I thought it may seem as though I am not someone who truly wears it. Donation nonetheless since the two years I stood without the poppy.

I think it's mainly because of how unpatriotic schools are now. The poppy does not glorify war, it is a symbol of the death and destruction it brings.

Lest we forget.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by AJ126y
The poppy seems to go hand in hand with jingoism and nationalism though. Both those concepts are precisely what led to the first and second world war. In addition the war dead of the current wars seem to get sort of added on to it. Well no. The people serving in current wars volunteered for it so its unfair to conflate the two.

Especially when current wars are quite dubious. I want to respect the dead but I don't feel that should be taken as support of further war which it often is. I also feel that we've been "lest we forgetting" for nearly a century now and still the lessons aren't learned. The phrase reeks of hollow sentiment.

Lmao, i've never met a single person that has said the poppy goes hand in hand with jingoism and nationalism, jingoism is literally the opposite of what the poppy resembles and being nationalistic isn't a bad thing either, just dont be extreme about it.

Your support for further war to wear the poppy literally makes no sense. If thats the case, don't pay tax. Rebel against the government. Wearing the poppy doesn't glorify war. It's a sign for the remembrance of the fallen.

Lessons aren't learnt? War is so complicated, for you not to wear the poppy because you feel "Lest we forget" is hollow, that is just bloody ridiculous.
Ngl I usually wear a poppy around the November period but this year I haven't.

Simply because I'm yet to find a single shop with a box selling poppies...

One thing which annoys me is when people get angry because other people aren't wearing poppies, whether that's in real life or on the TV. It's NOT compulsory to wear a poppy and just because you aren't wearing one doesn't mean you're disrespecting the fallen. I'm sure if you asked current day squadies, the vast majority wouldn't care whether someone is wearing/not wearing a poppy.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by MIRIMOO
personally, i loose the poppy or rip it, so theres no point.
but also, i don't have to wear a poppy to remember them, I can donate and spread awareness without wearing a poppy.
Also many people don't support the war or the army.
We aren't all nationalists who have a strong connection with the english troops. You forget that England has a population full of different cultures and we choose not to remember troops from a war that might have destroyed their original countries.
The girls in your class wore pride stuff because LGBT awareness is a major issue and equality for those who are LGBT, and are currently suffering all over the world, is a major issue that needs to be shown. I think thats why they wear pride support rather than a poppy.
You sound like a boomer.

Wearing the poppy doesn't support the war nor the army...
You're not a nationalist if you wear the poppy...
I never mentioned anything about ethnic backgrounds.
War is also a major issue, wars are being fought right now.
Stay in education

>Boomer
I'm 23. You melt.
Reply 13
I personally don’t wear one because I don’t think you need one to pay your respects, just like how I don’t celebrate pride despite being lgbt, but also because I’ve noticed people using them for virtue signalling, which I want no part of.
In my highschool alot of people would wear a poppy though? :confused:
i forgot about everything honestly with all this brexit malarkey and climate change. we do get educated on it in class since its compulsory pshce? its not about lack of respect but you might feel like that. sounds bad i know.
(edited 4 years ago)
Because the poppy is to remember the English soldiers who died in the World Wars
Most of us aren't English now, our generation is more ethnically diverse to the older generations
And to be honest, I don't think I want to be paying respect to people that killed my people
If it was more inclusive and was paying respect to soldiers in all wars then sure, but it's not
Then again, I'm only speaking for myself
(edited 4 years ago)

most of the time they dont give a you know what about the wars. they dont give a damn as they dont know what happened, ie them not knowing about how people were choked to death and poisoned by gas and how other people had to break other peoples bones to survive in the trench hand to hand warfare, or how they chrged artillery and machineguns with friends and family being killed beside them
I wear the poppy although it causes me inner conflict. As well as how ppl see me

In a nutshell:

[video="youtube;3iV8X8ubGCc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iV8X8ubGCc[/video]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending