The Student Room Group

Oxford interview Earth Science

I'm an international student and just got a message that I was shortlisted for an interview in December. I'm doing Maths, Physics, Biology, Chemistry in my qualifications, so I was wondering what should I expect on the interview.

Scroll to see replies

Hey I’ve applied for the same subject at Oxford! On their website you can find some sample questions for earth sciences as well as what to expect! http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/guide/interviews but I think that it will be mainly academic. Which college did you apply to?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Bojantr
I'm an international student and just got a message that I was shortlisted for an interview in December. I'm doing Maths, Physics, Biology, Chemistry in my qualifications, so I was wondering what should I expect on the interview.

Expect to need to think on your feet and your understanding to be tested. Express your thought process. The interviewers need to gauge your potential, so they need to know what you are thinking. They will help you to answer questions beyond your current understanding, but need to know what hints / information is needed.

Are you traveling to Oxford? I would, if you possibly can. Good luck.
Reply 3
@Pati123711 Thanks. I made an open application but I was allocated to univ. What about you?
Reply 4
@RogerOxon Thank you. I am not travelling sadly. My interview will ve on skype.
Reply 5
Original post by Pati123711
Hey I’ve applied for the same subject at Oxford! On their website you can find some sample questions for earth sciences as well as what to expect! http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/guide/interviews but I think that it will be mainly academic. Which college did you apply to?

Thanks.. I made an open application and I was allocated to univ. What about you?
Original post by Bojantr
Thanks.. I made an open application and I was allocated to univ. What about you?

Oh univ is pretty nice ;-) I applied to Worcester, but they haven’t replied yet.
Reply 7
Oh univ is pretty nice ;-) I applied to Worcester, but they haven’t replied yet.

I wish you all the best. I was really surprised to hear from them this early because I've read that they usually inform students in late November. So dont worry you will get invited.
Original post by Bojantr
I wish you all the best. I was really surprised to hear from them this early because I've read that they usually inform students in late November. So dont worry you will get invited.

Thank you (let’s hope I will), best of luck for your interview! - As you’re an international applicant do you have one or two interviews, and is it between the same dates as they have scheduled?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
Thank you (let’s hope I will), best of luck for your interview! - As you’re an international applicant do you have one or two interviews, and is it between the same dates as they have scheduled?

Thank you. They didn't mention any dates neither number of interviews because it is early, I assume. But they said that someone from the Earth Sciences department will contact me to discuss the arrangements. Screenshot_20191107_133452_com.google.android.gm-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Original post by Bojantr
Thank you. They didn't mention any dates neither number of interviews because it is early, I assume. But they said that someone from the Earth Sciences department will contact me to discuss the arrangements. Screenshot_20191107_133452_com.google.android.gm-compressed.jpg.jpeg

That’s amazing, at least you have an interview. Congrats!
Reply 11
That’s amazing, at least you have an interview. Congrats!

Fingers crossed. Best of luck. I hope you'll get an interview too.
Original post by Bojantr

The interviews will be primarily academic, to test your aptitude for the course. The questions you will be asked are designed to test your ability to think and deal with unfamiliar problems and information, rather than to test how much you know. If you've not previously studied geology then you will not be expected to have any prior knowledge (other than what you've declared in your personal statement) but you will obviously be asked about geological problems which you will be able to approach with what you have studied in your other subjects. You will likely also be asked some questions about some geological specimens - again, you will not be expected to know what they are, but you will be expected to be able to make careful observations and interpretations. The important thing is to be aware that you will, without a doubt, be asked questions you do not know the answer to. Take time to think, think logically and clearly, and explain your thought process to your interviewers.
Reply 13
Original post by Plagioclase
The interviews will be primarily academic, to test your aptitude for the course. The questions you will be asked are designed to test your ability to think and deal with unfamiliar problems and information, rather than to test how much you know. If you've not previously studied geology then you will not be expected to have any prior knowledge (other than what you've declared in your personal statement) but you will obviously be asked about geological problems which you will be able to approach with what you have studied in your other subjects. You will likely also be asked some questions about some geological specimens - again, you will not be expected to know what they are, but you will be expected to be able to make careful observations and interpretations. The important thing is to be aware that you will, without a doubt, be asked questions you do not know the answer to. Take time to think, think logically and clearly, and explain your thought process to your interviewers.

Thank you so much. I was wondering what topics of Chemistry, Physics and Biology should i concentrate to. Any help?
Original post by Bojantr
Thank you so much. I was wondering what topics of Chemistry, Physics and Biology should i concentrate to. Any help?

It's impossible to say but think about what aspects of your courses are relevant to the Earth Sciences (e.g. you're probably not going to get a question involving organic synthesis, electronics or human biology). As I said, as long as you're on top of your studies (as you should be anyway), you'll know all you're expected to know. It's more about how you think than what you know.

One thing I will say though - revise your maths, particularly calculus. Very important for Earth Sciences.
Reply 15
It's impossible to say but think about what aspects of your courses are relevant to the Earth Sciences (e.g. you're probably not going to get a question involving organic synthesis, electronics or human biology). As I said, as long as you're on top of your studies (as you should be anyway), you'll know all you're expected to know. It's more about how you think than what you know.

One thing I will say though - revise your maths, particularly calculus. Very important for Earth Sciences.

Thank you for helping me!!! Where are you studying?
Original post by Bojantr
Thank you for helping me!!! Where are you studying?

Just graduated from Oxford Earth Sciences, now doing a PhD there.
Reply 17
Just graduated from Oxford Earth Sciences, now doing a PhD there.

Ohh that's great. Do you remember any questions you were asked?
Original post by Bojantr

Both Oxford and Cambridge don't like students to discuss what has been previously asked at interview. Most colleges make applicants sign a confidentiality agreement so you can't discuss the questions so I don't think anyone can tell you previous questions as the universities wouldn't like that.

There are probably some example questions on the internet. There are also videos of the interview process on both the Oxford and Cambridge websites.

For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUwN6GI-0EQ

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Bojantr

Yep but (1) that wouldn't help you because they change them every year and (2) what @agentundercover said. Just do your best! Best of luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending