The Student Room Group

Medicine or law? A-level advice

Hey guys,
I am in Year 11 and currently deciding my A-level choices.

I’m predicted 8s in all my subjects, but I’m naturally much better at humanities. However, while I love them (particularly English and History) I’m not sure I would find any of the fairly limited careers fulfilling.

I would be excited to help people, and have really enjoyed volunteering, so am leaning towards either medicine or humanitarian law. However, I don’t know (despite my love for humanities and debating) whether I’d actually enjoy law itself!
How do any law students on here find it? Does it do your head in?
On the other hand, I’m worried that were I to pursue medicine I may always regret not pursuing my passion.

So, it would either be: English literature, History and (Latin or French)
or Biology, Chemistry and Maths. I’m prepared to work very hard for either of those combinations. Which should I go for?
Original post by y_katz
Hey guys,
I am in Year 11 and currently deciding my A-level choices.

I’m predicted 8s in all my subjects, but I’m naturally much better at humanities. However, while I love them (particularly English and History) I’m not sure I would find any of the fairly limited careers fulfilling.

I would be excited to help people, and have really enjoyed volunteering, so am leaning towards either medicine or humanitarian law. However, I don’t know (despite my love for humanities and debating) whether I’d actually enjoy law itself!
How do any law students on here find it? Does it do your head in?
On the other hand, I’m worried that were I to pursue medicine I may always regret not pursuing my passion.

So, it would either be: English literature, History and (Latin or French)
or Biology, Chemistry and Maths. I’m prepared to work very hard for either of those combinations. Which should I go for?

Are you Asian? It's the Law–Medicine axis, in case you're wondering why I'm asking.
Reply 2
Do what you enjoy. Both are great jobs.
Reply 3
Original post by Reality Check
Are you Asian? It's the Law–Medicine axis, in case you're wondering why I'm asking.

No haha but I have a fairly pressurising (immigrated) family so I guess there may be a similar ethos
Original post by y_katz
No haha but I have a fairly pressurising (immigrated) family so I guess there may be a similar ethos

:laugh:

That will be it then. Do you actually want to do either of these courses? If you do, then that's fine, but there's a million-and-one other degrees you could do if you're interested in them.
Reply 5
Original post by Reality Check
:laugh:

That will be it then. Do you actually want to do either of these courses? If you do, then that's fine, but there's a million-and-one other degrees you could do if you're interested in them.

Don’t worry 😉, I feel passionate about both biological sciences and helping people, as well as debating/essay writing so I think both are courses I (and my family 😂) would like. But thanks for the concern!

Out of curiousity though, are there any courses you’d particularly recommend for me?
Original post by y_katz
Don’t worry 😉, I feel passionate about both biological sciences and helping people, as well as debating/essay writing so I think both are courses I (and my family 😂) would like. But thanks for the concern!

Out of curiousity though, are there any courses you’d particularly recommend for me?

What, A level courses?
Yes - do you think that if you're truly destined to do medicine, there is 'nothing else'?
That's really interesting. Do you mind my asking why your parents didn't want you to do medicine? It's such an unusual thing to read, particularly on TSR when the opposite usually applies.

I'm fully with you on the nerdy things - bringing unnecessary amounts of science into everyday life, normally. And TSR is an addiction...I'm in treatment. Clearly it's not working. :laugh:
I love your understatement. You're one the most highly qualified medics on TSR and there isn't a trace of arrogance or self-importance to you. More to the point, you spend much of what little free time you have helping people on TSR fulfil their dreams to study medicine free-of-charge.

What a star! :smile:
We're very lucky on TSR with regards to medics. We have so much high-quality advice - I think people don't appreciate the value of it.
Mutual appreciation society, buddy :smile:
Reply 12
Thank you for your advice! It’s been really helpful, and the overall consensus seems to be to not do medicine unless you’re highly passionate about it, and can’t imagine doing anything else.
I’m planning to do some work experience with my aunt, who’s a doctor, and see how I like it. I’m quite worried that I’ve idealised medicine, and figured I should see the reality before going ‘all in’.
I’ll keep you updated 😉 and thank you again.

Quick Reply

Latest