Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

is durham hard to get into...?!

so basically I'm desperate to do Philosophy at Durham - AAA

my gcses are 9999888776
I'm predicted A*AA

some places online say its so competitive, but other places say that for a course like philosophy, its not that bad.

Anyone have experience with Durham/know if phil is a competitive course?!!?
Original post by evaagraay
so basically I'm desperate to do Philosophy at Durham - AAA

my gcses are 9999888776
I'm predicted A*AA

some places online say its so competitive, but other places say that for a course like philosophy, its not that bad.

Anyone have experience with Durham/know if phil is a competitive course?!!?

If you're an Oxbridge reject it's probably pretty easy to get a place at Durham :smile: But with those grades, why not apply to the real thing?

www.cam.ac.uk
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Reality Check
If you're an Oxbridge reject it's probably pretty easy to get a place at Durham :smile: But with those grades, why not apply to the real thing?

www.cam.ac.uk

to be honest, I'd love to go to Cambridge. The average kid there has a A*A*A*A predictions and a ton of A*s at GCSE too.
I'm also from a private school and they're only accepting the best of the best from them, so slightly put off.
Plus, I'm not the kind of person to apply - I didnt get straight A*s at GCSE and doubt I'll get any better than A*AA at a level either :frown:
to be honest, I'd love to go to Cambridge. The average kid there has a A*A*A*A predictions and a ton of A*s at GCSE too.
I'm also from a private school and they're only accepting the best of the best from them, so slightly put off.
Plus, I'm not the kind of person to apply - I didnt get straight A*s at GCSE and doubt I'll get any better than A*AA at a level either :frown:

OK: I'm going to dispel these myths for you, as someone who has studied law at Cambridge.

All of what you have written is not true. Most successful candidates do not have four A levels at the grades you cite, neither do they have a 'ton' of A*/9 GCSE grades. If you are predicted A*AA at GCSE and got reasonably good GCSEs then you stand every chance of making a successful application to Cambridge.
The best way of not getting into Cambridge is not applying to Cambridge. Please - don't limit your horizons like this. You can make a competitive application based on your current academic record (you'll obviously need a good admissions test plus references/other application stuff). So don't apply to a 'fake' Oxbridge like Durham - apply to the real thing!!! :smile:
OK: I'm going to dispel these myths for you, as someone who has studied law at Cambridge.

All of what you have written is not true. Most successful candidates do not have four A levels at the grades you cite, neither do they have a 'ton' of A*/9 GCSE grades. If you are predicted A*AA at GCSE and got reasonably good GCSEs then you stand every chance of making a successful application to Cambridge.
The best way of not getting into Cambridge is not applying to Cambridge. Please - don't limit your horizons like this. You can make a competitive application based on your current academic record (you'll obviously need a good admissions test plus references/other application stuff). So don't apply to a 'fake' Oxbridge like Durham - apply to the real thing!!! :smile:

I agree with you that you will never know if you dont apply but calling Durham fake Oxbridge is a bit harsh. Call it what you will, it is a good uni for most courses and if you like the collegiate system why not apply to Durham as well. As with all Universities some courses are better than others research which Universities do your chosen course well and then narrow it down to which type of uni/ location you personally prefer.

yh man i only got 6 8s and 9s, i would have got all 9s if i revised, but i revised the night before and morning of the exam. Im predicted 3 A* at a level, im gonna actually revise, but not for ages and ages like some people.

Also, depending on where you are from, oxbrdige look at you differently.
Original post by Anonymous
I agree with you that you will never know if you dont apply but calling Durham fake Oxbridge is a bit harsh. Call it what you will, it is a good uni for most courses and if you like the collegiate system why not apply to Durham as well. As with all Universities some courses are better than others research which Universities do your chosen course well and then narrow it down to which type of uni/ location you personally prefer.

Apply to both Cambridge and Durham OP.

Of course they are competitive but you are a top applicant.
Original post by harrysbar
Apply to both Cambridge and Durham OP.

Of course they are competitive but you are a top applicant.

yes they are indeed
I actually meant to reply to @evaagraay not Anon, though they could be the same person :confused:
Original post by harrysbar
I actually meant to reply to @evaagraay not Anon, though they could be the same person :confused:

Haha thank you!! no - im not anon.

I would love to apply to Cambridge but it would be a plot twist if I told my friends I'm applying to Oxbridge, and I'm not sure I want any talking behind my back about how cocky I am in thinking I'm good enough for oxbridge :frown:
Original post by mathspaperfree
yh man i only got 6 8s and 9s, i would have got all 9s if i revised, but i revised the night before and morning of the exam. Im predicted 3 A* at a level, im gonna actually revise, but not for ages and ages like some people.

Also, depending on where you are from, oxbrdige look at you differently.

My A Level predictions are exactly what are required for the course - A*AA; do they not want someone with predictions higher than the bare minimum needed for the course?!
Also yes - I'm from a privileged background: white, straight female, private boarding school. I feel like Oxbridge will only take the best of the best when it comes to people like me, as they're being pressured into cutting down on private school kids at the moment.
Original post by Anonymous

I agree - I was a bit harsh with 'fake'. Thanks for pointing that out :smile:
My A Level predictions are exactly what are required for the course - A*AA; do they not want someone with predictions higher than the bare minimum needed for the course?!
Also yes - I'm from a privileged background: white, straight female, private boarding school. I feel like Oxbridge will only take the best of the best when it comes to people like me, as they're being pressured into cutting down on private school kids at the moment.

No harm in applying if you meet the grade requirements you still have 4 other choices (also if you choose to take a gap year after results day you get the chance to apply all over again with your actual grades so nothing to lose if you ask me.) If people talk about you behind your back so be it just ignore them its your life you wont be at school with them forever. If you get an interview then its on your own merit and nothing to do with them just write a stonking personal statement.

yh, it will be a bit harder for you to get into oxbridge, but maybe easier since you can find good work experience.
if i was you, i would aim for 3 A*. that is what im doing.

Quick Reply

Latest