The Student Room Group

My seminar leader is heavily left wing...

Seminar discussions tend to lean to the left-wing side of political debate and the left wing ONLY. No counter debates, no wider view of the bigger picture. God drive me crazy I can’t do this...
Reply 1
If you don't agree then you should voice your opinions, that's what learning is about, particularly in seminars :smile:
Tutors are allowed to have political views - and if you don't agree with them then state your side of the argument.

Going to Uni is about learning about other people's views and having your own views/assumptions challenged. Its also about being mature enough to have some tolerance for those people you don't agree with.
As to how you feel qualified to speak for an entire section of society is truly bewildering. You will have people that are ascetic or gluttonous on any side.
Reply 5
what subject are you studying? in what way does your seminarist express left wing views?
Make your position known, you may find people find you to have a reasonable and rational position. I am currently studyin at A-Level and I have the same problem, the only choice I find the best is to contribute dissent.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by returnmigrant
Tutors are allowed to have political views - and if you don't agree with them then state your side of the argument.

Going to Uni is about learning about other people's views and having your own views/assumptions challenged. Its also about being mature enough to have some tolerance for those people you don't agree with.

While this is true, I’d argue in some subjects it has zero relevance and probably shouldn’t be discussed. For example a calculus tutorial, there is no reason to know or talk about poltical options.

While in a history one there might be.
Reply 8
Original post by Joleee
what subject are you studying? in what way does your seminarist express left wing views?

Politics and economics, so it’s understandable that she’s that passionate, and I personally don’t mind her political views in isolation I just hate the delivery. When others ask a question or try to challenge it... well... loool the best way to put it is that she takes a v Piers Morgan (surprisingly) approach to tackling the question, jumping to abstract conclusions, speaking over the student (not letting them speak their point at all if it leans even centre-left).
What university do you go to, if you don't mind me asking? :smile:
If she is into the loud 'no other opinions allowed' or fanatical style of politics, just sit through the seminar and nod along.
Particularly if she's one of the "communism is futurism" crowd.
As she should be and if your right wing you need your head checked 😂😂😂😂
Original post by Anonymous
As she should be and if your right wing you need your head checked 😂😂😂😂everyone has there own opinions

everyone has their own opinions

Wise to be anonymous

Might I add, "left" and "right" are ambiguous, to think someone is insane because they are on the supposed opposite side is absurd.
Original post by LaPregunta
Wise to be anonymous

Might I add, "left" and "right" are ambiguous, to think someone is insane because they are on the supposed opposite side is absurd.

finally, somebody gets me.
Its what you have to expect of university lecturers. Apart from the very few who are in the Economics/business school who may have a more neoliberal view, most are either very left wing, or too scared to come out as being anything even slightly to the right of center.

That said I am not saying people cannot have their own views, but university should be a place where people expose themselves to new ideas and concepts and lecturers/seminar leaders/tutors should be encouraging this, not as you say only allowing the discussing (what I imagine are only the good aspects) of one viewpoint. If this isn't the case then you are just hearing what your side (be that left, right or center) says and aren't really learning anything new.

Honestly I think outside university all sides are just as guilty of this, however it does seem to be more the case that those who are left wing want to stifle and silence conflicting views more than right wing people and that is nowhere more evident than universities.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 16

I’m not right wing damn I just wish she’d let people speak without completely shaming and shutting them down the way she does in every seminar, it dulled down seminar activity and many people moved to the other tutors tutorials.
Loooooooooooool

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending