The Student Room Group

Parents won't let me leave London

My parents only want me to apply to London universities.. I want to apply to Nottingham and Leeds as well. They said I can live out for the first year in London but then I have to commute from home for the rest (they let my brother go to Oxford). How do I convince them otherwise? Ugh :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
ooooo
You're going to be a grown ass adult by the time you go to uni. You don't have to do what your parents say, no matter how much they don't like it or convince you otherwise.
They're probably having attachment issues since your brother has already gone off to Uni and you're the only one left in the household. I'd do what's best for you, even if it hurts your parents. If they love you they should support your decision on which Uni you want to go to. And like the other guy said you're going to be an adult, don't let them make decisions for you
Original post by Anonymous
My parents only want me to apply to London universities.. I want to apply to Nottingham and Leeds as well. They said I can live out for the first year in London but then I have to commute from home for the rest (they let my brother go to Oxford). How do I convince them otherwise? Ugh :frown:

If you want them to treat you like an adult then you need to behave like one and demonstrate that you’re capable of leaving.

Talk to them, calmly and ask them what worries them about you leaving London. Don’t try to contradict their reasons then and there - just find out their motivation.

Then come back to them after you have had time to think and explain what you think you’d gain from moving out. And maybe address some of their worries.

Keep it calm and constructive. Applying elsewhere doesn’t commit you to going but if they support your application then try to get them to visit with you if you get offers. That gives you more time to demonstrate the benefits before you pick a firm choice in April/May.
What is there reason for not letting you? I have a feeling I know as I had a few course mates in your situation.
I'm in the same situation but I live in a small city with only one university, and it's not very good. I wanted to go to Birmingham but they said if I get in, my whole family has to move.
I'm literally in the same position dude :tongue: but I'm the eldest of my family.

I was going to apply to Brighton / Birmingham, but ended up w Oxford, UCL, King's and LSE. The only reason why they let me apply to Ox. is because I have really strong stats and it's Oxford :colondollar:

Even then, they keep guilt tripping me, saying that we're all going to have to relocate (yh, not happening :rofl:)
The best advice that I can give is to take some time to really sell the uni, as well as yourself, and how they can trust you.
Best of luck, my dude. Keep me notified about how it goes!
Reply 8
Original post by squeakysquirrel
asian parents eh?

yessssss
Reply 9
Original post by gadsdo_o1610
They're probably having attachment issues since your brother has already gone off to Uni and you're the only one left in the household. I'd do what's best for you, even if it hurts your parents. If they love you they should support your decision on which Uni you want to go to. And like the other guy said you're going to be an adult, don't let them make decisions for you

Thank you!! I have a younger brother as well so it's not even like they'll be on their own ffs
Thank you!! I have a younger brother as well so it's not even like they'll be on their own ffs

It's also Asian culture. Girls are always treated differently from boys.
Original post by MrMusician95
What is there reason for not letting you? I have a feeling I know as I had a few course mates in your situation.

Lol honestly I think it's because I'm a girl (love my life woooo)
I'm literally in the same position dude :tongue: but I'm the eldest of my family.

I was going to apply to Brighton / Birmingham, but ended up w Oxford, UCL, King's and LSE. The only reason why they let me apply to Ox. is because I have really strong stats and it's Oxford :colondollar:

Even then, they keep guilt tripping me, saying that we're all going to have to relocate (yh, not happening :rofl:)
The best advice that I can give is to take some time to really sell the uni, as well as yourself, and how they can trust you.
Best of luck, my dude. Keep me notified about how it goes!

Good luck to us! Honestly the whole guilt tripping thing is the worst part
Original post by PQ
If you want them to treat you like an adult then you need to behave like one and demonstrate that you’re capable of leaving.

Talk to them, calmly and ask them what worries them about you leaving London. Don’t try to contradict their reasons then and there - just find out their motivation.

Then come back to them after you have had time to think and explain what you think you’d gain from moving out. And maybe address some of their worries.

Keep it calm and constructive. Applying elsewhere doesn’t commit you to going but if they support your application then try to get them to visit with you if you get offers. That gives you more time to demonstrate the benefits before you pick a firm choice in April/May.

Thank you, I'll try!
Original post by Noodlzzz
You're going to be a grown ass adult by the time you go to uni. You don't have to do what your parents say, no matter how much they don't like it or convince you otherwise.

Lool I wish it were that easy but thank you!!
Lol honestly I think it's because I'm a girl (love my life woooo)

Thought as much. I hate our culture.
Original post by MrMusician95
It's also Asian culture. Girls are always treated differently from boys.

Exactly... honestly just pisses me off now
mine too. said they’d disown me. that’s exactly what i want, little do they know.
Original post by anonymous
mine too. Said they’d disown me. That’s exactly what i want, little do they know.

lmfaooooo
mine too. said they’d disown me. that’s exactly what i want, little do they know.

Hahahaha. Made my morning

Quick Reply

Latest