The Student Room Group

I keep accidentally cutting myself while I sleep

I know I’m doing it in my sleep as I wake up with cuts on my forehead and it’s really distressing as I don’t know what it means

Scroll to see replies

You’re a cat.
Reply 2
Original post by OR321
You’re a cat.

???
Cut your nails? I have eczema and when I was younger I would constantly itch in my sleep and I'd have scratches on my arms and legs and bloody sheets when I woke up. Mum had to bandage my arms and legs to stop me from itching at night :colonhash:
wear thimbles
Reply 5
It means you should see a professional for a solution to stop your sleeping behaviour. Since it got to do with your sleeping behaviour perhaps it’s sleep waking kind of medical area? I mean GP can always send you to a referral
Original post by Precious Illusions
Cut your nails? I have eczema and when I was younger I would constantly itch in my sleep and I'd have scratches on my arms and legs and bloody sheets when I woke up. Mum had to bandage my arms and legs to stop me from itching at night :colonhash:[/

Is that it?

Sounds terrible, I know someone who was bullied because they had eczema
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7
Cut your nails? I have eczema and when I was younger I would constantly itch in my sleep and I'd have scratches on my arms and legs and bloody sheets when I woke up. Mum had to bandage my arms and legs to stop me from itching at night :colonhash:

I have short nails as I have just cut them, I don’t have eczema but that must mean I’m purposefully doing it in my sleep
Reply 8
I think it might relate to my mental health problems but I’m unsure as to whether I should see someone about it
Reply 9
Bump
Original post by Anonymous
I know I’m doing it in my sleep as I wake up with cuts on my forehead and it’s really distressing as I don’t know what it means

A deep psychological issue

I have no clue what to do really
What advice did your parents/guardians give/ what did they say?

What have you done so far to try and stop it?
What advice did your parents/guardians give/ what did they say?

What have you done so far to try and stop it?

My parents said it’s probably nothing but its happening quite a lot, there’s nothing I can do to stop it, I even cut my nails but woke up this morning again with a cut
My parents said it’s probably nothing but its happening quite a lot, there’s nothing I can do to stop it, I even cut my nails but woke up this morning again with a cut

Wear gloves to bed.
Original post by black tea
Wear gloves to bed.

Really?
Original post by Greywolftwo
Really?

Yes. It will stop them hurting themselves. I know little kids with eczema whose parents make them wear gloves to bed - there are thin bamboo gloves you can buy for this purpose.
(edited 4 years ago)
Wear gloves to bed.

I would’ve thought that an issue such as this would be psychological?
I would’ve thought that an issue such as this would be psychological?

Maybe but it could just be something in your sleep
Yes. It will stop them hurting themselves. I know little kids with eczema whose parents make them wear gloves to bed - there are thin bamboo gloves you can buy for this purpose.

I don’t have eczema or any present skin condition though

Quick Reply

Latest