The Student Room Group

A level politics essay structure?

Does anybody have advice on a general structure to follow for A level politics 30 markers (edexcel)? Any sort of bullet-pointed list you follow to ensure everything is covered? My marks have fluctuated a lot in the past due to not really following a set structure.

If anybody has any A/A* level written essays they would be willing to share these would also be appreciated.
Hi, I'm studying politics, I'm in year 13 and predicted an A. Figuring out how to write a good essay consistently has also been a struggle for me, however, I think I've cracked it.
- Leave your introduction till last as it needs a clear judgement and you may not know where your heading when you start
- Paragraphs don't need a rigid structure but I've found start with the point you don't believe in (e.g. your counterargument) and then argue against it with your main point as it makes your argument seem stronger. (Not sure this makes sense)
- 3/4 paragraphs with different points.
- Have a clear judgement at the end of each paragraph that links to the question.
- Try to make analytical points e.g., in theory, it seems good but it's not
-In your conclusion and introduction don't just repeat the question, make your judgements clear and link it to the points you make/have made.

I'd be more than willing to email you one of my essays or answer any questions you have. I also recommend the "Aiming for an A in politics" book which helped me refine my essay technique.
Original post by alice0502
Hi, I'm studying politics, I'm in year 13 and predicted an A. Figuring out how to write a good essay consistently has also been a struggle for me, however, I think I've cracked it.
- Leave your introduction till last as it needs a clear judgement and you may not know where your heading when you start
- Paragraphs don't need a rigid structure but I've found start with the point you don't believe in (e.g. your counterargument) and then argue against it with your main point as it makes your argument seem stronger. (Not sure this makes sense)
- Have a clear judgement at the end of each paragraph that links to the question.
-In your conclusion and introduction don't just repeat the question, make your judgements clear and link it to the points you make/have made.

I'd be more than willing to email you one of my essays or answer any questions you have. I also recommend the "Aiming for an A in politics" book which helped me refine my essay technique.

What do you mean by "analytical points"
Original post by salimyasin10
What do you mean by "analytical points"

so like your not just regurgitating the knowledge and going this is good or this is bad as it's not always that black and white. It's like considering different viewpoints and proving you understand what your writing and not just remembering the points you revised earlier.
so like your not just regurgitating the knowledge and going this is good or this is bad as it's not always that black and white. It's like considering different viewpoints and proving you understand what your writing and not just remembering the points you revised earlier.

ah now i get it, im in year 12 politics ( same as OP) cud u email any essays you have pls so i cud revise from it and refine my own technique.
Original post by salimyasin10
ah now i get it, im in year 12 politics ( same as OP) cud u email any essays you have pls so i cud revise from it and refine my own technique.

Yeah, the only ones I have on my laptop are an ideology or American politics questions but if you drop me a DM with your email when I'm back at school tomorrow I should be able to email you a few from year 12
Reply 6

Ahh alright, I'll keep this in mind when writing my next ones. Thing is I'm retaking it this year as I got a D in the final exam. I was doing fine throughout the year (rarely dropped below a B on homework essays and timed ones in class) but when it came to the actual one I froze up. I suppose it all comes down to practice though and actually writing as many as I can over this year and making sure to do it in timed conditions because that also tripped me up.

Funny you mention that book though, ordered it last week and just been going through it the last few days as I'm trying to stick to an essay every second day of revision (first essay being today.) If/when I finish that would you maybe be able to take a look at it if you got a minute? Know it's a lot to ask but not having an actual teacher has left me clutching at straws :s-smilie:

By judgement in each paragraph though, do you mean provide a personal opinion on which side of that point I think is stronger (if that makes sense??) In economics a judgement meant providing your own opinion but this was never really explained for us to do in politics?
Original post by JoeD01
Ahh alright, I'll keep this in mind when writing my next ones. Thing is I'm retaking it this year as I got a D in the final exam. I was doing fine throughout the year (rarely dropped below a B on homework essays and timed ones in class) but when it came to the actual one I froze up. I suppose it all comes down to practice though and actually writing as many as I can over this year and making sure to do it in timed conditions because that also tripped me up.

Funny you mention that book though, ordered it last week and just been going through it the last few days as I'm trying to stick to an essay every second day of revision (first essay being today.) If/when I finish that would you maybe be able to take a look at it if you got a minute? Know it's a lot to ask but not having an actual teacher has left me clutching at straws :s-smilie:

By judgement in each paragraph though, do you mean provide a personal opinion on which side of that point I think is stronger (if that makes sense??) In economics a judgement meant providing your own opinion but this was never really explained for us to do in politics?

I would say writing essays is the way to go but don’t over do yourself!
Yeah if u send me a private message I’ll give u my email and u can send me any essays I’ll be more than happy to read them. I can’t promise the feedback will be great but I’ll try my best.
Yeah the judgement is like answering the question so if it’s a “to what extent” question you talk about the extent to which the point you’ve made fits the question (that probably made no sense). It’s like a mini conclusion at the end of each paragraph but instead of being about everything it’s about that one point you’ve made in that paragraph. It probably is the same as economics
Reply 8
I would say writing essays is the way to go but don’t over do yourself!
Yeah if u send me a private message I’ll give u my email and u can send me any essays I’ll be more than happy to read them. I can’t promise the feedback will be great but I’ll try my best.
Yeah the judgement is like answering the question so if it’s a “to what extent” question you talk about the extent to which the point you’ve made fits the question (that probably made no sense). It’s like a mini conclusion at the end of each paragraph but instead of being about everything it’s about that one point you’ve made in that paragraph. It probably is the same as economics

Thanks a lot! When I end up finishing this one I'll drop you a PM - literally any feedback is appreciated.

That's a good point though. I suppose it helps clarify your point and it doesn't take long to do so it makes sense to - I'll start doing that from now on.
Hi, I am currently a year 13 student and I was wondering is there a specific structure you follow since I'm told by my teacher that the content I write is enough to give me a A but its more about the way I write which always land me at lower B/ higher C. Also, to get an A do you need perfect SPAG. Lastly do you mind sending me examples of your A graded work. Thank you very much.

Hi, I am currently a year 13 student and I was wondering is there a specific structure you follow since I'm told by my teacher that the content I write is enough to give me a A but its more about the way I write which always land me at lower B/ higher C. Also, to get an A do you need perfect SPAG. Lastly do you mind sending me examples of your A graded work. Thank you any advice is welcome.
Original post by Najma2468
Hi, I am currently a year 13 student and I was wondering is there a specific structure you follow since I'm told by my teacher that the content I write is enough to give me a A but its more about the way I write which always land me at lower B/ higher C. Also, to get an A do you need perfect SPAG. Lastly do you mind sending me examples of your A graded work. Thank you any advice is welcome.

Hi, I don't really know how I structure my essays like its hard to explain but if you drop me a direct message I can definitely send you a few tell me if there's any specific topic you want. I don't think spag is directly judged but you do need a coherent answer to get into the top bands.
Hi I’m currently in year 13 and looking for some exemplar essays for paper 1 just so I could look at the structure, could you possibly send one of your essays. Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending