The Student Room Group

Conservatoire Music Applicants 2020

Hey guys!
Thought it would be nice to have a thread for conservatoire entry to chat about things and share how we're all getting on through the process...
So comment below-

Name:
Instrument(s) applied for:
Conservatoires/unis applied/applying to (and whether you have audition dates/offers yet!):
Other instruments played:
Qualifications being taken/predicted grades:

Mine-
Name: Emily
Instrument(s) applied for: Violin
Conservatoires/unis applied/applying to: Royal Welsh and Trinity Laban… also applying to unis for maths and music combined courses and straight music but not sure where yet!
Other instruments played: Piano- learning gr8 pieces, music theory gr6 (going for 8 as no a level music)
Qualifications being taken/predicted grades: On a gap year. I have Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry with ABB

Good luck to everyone auditioning!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Name: Kit
Discipline: Composition
Conservatoires: offers from RAM, Guildhall and Trinity, reserve from RNCM and RCS, and rejection from RCM.
Instruments: Horn (grade 8), piano (grade 6-ish), voice
Qualifications: IB, predicted 41

Good luck!!

Edit: I'm going to Guildhall!!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Name: Alex
Instrument(s) applied for: Composition
Conservatoires/unis applied/applying to: Royal College (Audition!), Guildhall, Royal Northern, Cambridge, Manchester, Royal Holloway, Southampton, Surrey
Other instruments played: Clarinet, Alto Sax, Piano
Qualifications being taken/predicted grades: Music, Physics, Maths. A*AA
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Name: James
Instrument(s) applied for: Trumpet
Conservatoires/unis applied/applying to: Leeds College of Music (guaranteed conditional), Royal Birmingham Conservatoire (conditional reserve)
Other instruments played: None
Qualifications being taken/predicted grades: Music, Music Technology, Business (B, C, C)

(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by 333lucy
Name: Lucy
Instrument(s) applied for: Clarinet
Conservatoires/unis applied/applying to (and whether you have audition dates/offers yet!):
RAM
RCM
RWCMD
RNCM
Trinity
Birmingham

Oxford
Durham
Huddersfield
Leeds
Newcastle
Other instruments played: Sax & Piano
Qualifications being taken/predicted grades: Music, History , Maths & Further Maths

Predicted A*A*A*A

Are you applying to Oxford and other unis for music? Or another subject? Also what made you decide to apply to both unis and conservatoires? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by rachsilb101
Are you applying to Oxford and other unis for music? Or another subject? Also what made you decide to apply to both unis and conservatoires? :smile:

Yes I’m applying for music at the unis! I decided to apply for both conservatoires and unis because it just opens up my options and gives me more choice depending on where I get offers! Have you applied to a conservatoire/uni?😁
Original post by 333lucy
Yes I’m applying for music at the unis! I decided to apply for both conservatoires and unis because it just opens up my options and gives me more choice depending on where I get offers! Have you applied to a conservatoire/uni?😁

Oh yeah that’s a great idea! I’ve only applied to unis for music because as much as I love performance - I really want to focus on other areas of music as well like musicology and history. I’ve applied to Durham, King’s, Edinburgh, Oxford and Bristol! Perhaps you should check out our 2020 Oxford music applicants thread!!! There are so few of us it’s just a good way to come together and chat about things!
Reply 7
Original post by rachsilb101
Oh yeah that’s a great idea! I’ve only applied to unis for music because as much as I love performance - I really want to focus on other areas of music as well like musicology and history. I’ve applied to Durham, King’s, Edinburgh, Oxford and Bristol! Perhaps you should check out our 2020 Oxford music applicants thread!!! There are so few of us it’s just a good way to come together and chat about things!

Oooo they’re all great choices! I’ll definitely join the Oxford music 2020 thread!
Reply 8
Name: Isabella MacMahon
Instrument: Jazz Drums
Applied for: Leeds College Music (aud 18th December), RCS (audition was yesterday, not looking like I'll get in as only one space for drums) Trinity Laban (28th Nov) and RWCMD (sending in video tapes instead of the audition), University of Leeds for music performance and Edinburgh for acoustics and music technology.
Other Instruments: Percussion, sax and trumpet (grade 8 all)
Subjects: Maths, Physics, Music, predicted A*AA
(edited 4 years ago)
Name: Teresa
Instrument(s) applied for: piano
Conservatoires/unis applied/applying to (and whether you have audition dates/offers yet!): RWCMD (conditional offer + referred to scholarship panel) // RBC (12th nov) // RNCM (20th nov) // RCM (3rd dec) // RAM (9th Dec)
University of Birmingham // Kings College
Other instruments played: none
Qualifications being taken/predicted grades: Music Maths English lit. EPQ
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by t3r3sa_xo
Instrument(s) applied for: pianoConservatoires/unis applied/applying to (and whether you have audition dates/offers yet!): RWCMD (conditional offer + referred to scholarship panel) // RBC (12th nov) // RNCM (20th nov) // RCM (3rd dec) // RAM (9th Dec)

Hey when did you hear back from RW (and when was your audition)? I've not heard back yet! Was violin but I applied last year too and had audition same week and had heard back earlier than this!
Good luck for Birmingham on Tuesday!
Original post by violinem
Hey when did you hear back from RW (and when was your audition)? I've not heard back yet! Was violin but I applied last year too and had audition same week and had heard back earlier than this!
Good luck for Birmingham on Tuesday!

Hi, my audition was 22nd October and got my offer just over 2 weeks after on the 7th November. Thank you!! hope your auditions goes well too x
Hi guys! Does anybody know roughly how long it takes for RCS to send out the acceptances/rejections? Auditions were last week plus this Monday (the 11th) and I was just wondering when I can expect an answer:smile:
Original post by t3r3sa_xo
Instrument(s) applied for: piano
Conservatoires/unis applied/applying to (and whether you have audition dates/offers yet!): RWCMD (conditional offer + referred to scholarship panel) // RBC (12th nov) // RNCM (20th nov) // RCM (3rd dec) // RAM (9th Dec)

Hi. How was the audition at RBC?
Reply 14
Name: Ruby
Instrument: Flute (did my diploma in Dec 2019)
Applied to: RCS, RNCM, RCM, RAM
Other instruments played: Piano (did grade 8 in March 2018)
Qualifications: Music, German, English Lit
Predicted: A*, A*, A

Best of luck to everybody! <3

—————————-

Received offers: RAM (guaranteed conditional), RNCM (guaranteed conditional), RCS (reserve conditional), RCM (reserve conditional)

I decided I’m going to RAM!! 🥰
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 15
I auditioned for Birmingham Conservatoire Jazz department last Thursday and was wondering how long it roughly takes to get a reply ?
Reply 16
Original post by JRT48
Conservatoires/unis applied/applying to: Leeds College of Music (AD December 19th), Royal Birmingham Conservatoire (AD November 20th)
Qualifications being taken/predicted grades: Music, Music Technology, Business (B, C, C)

Have you received a reply yet, I applied for the jazz department at RBC last thursday but haven't got a reply.
Reply 17
Yeah I haven't got a reply either, I've searched around and apparently the Jazz department don't give results till as late as the 4th of January. Good luck anyway :smile:
I auditioned on sax for the classical course but they told me i was accepted 7 days later so dead quick compared to RNCM
Original post by JRT48
Conservatoires/unis applied/applying to: Leeds College of Music (AD December 19th), Royal Birmingham Conservatoire (AD November 20th)

How did your audition go? and Have you heard back from Birmingham

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending