The Student Room Group

No unconditional offers :/

-- decided to delete --
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

number of unconditionals don't define you as a person; well done for getting 5 offers :smile:
don't worry, just work hard to meet your firm offer for now and dont get so down over not getting an unconditional offer. all the best x
Original post by entertainmyfaith
number of unconditionals don't define you as a person; well done for getting 5 offers :smile:

Thank you
Original post by PastelColours
don't worry, just work hard to meet your firm offer for now and dont get so down over not getting an unconditional offer. all the best x

I guess, thanks :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by LouiseTierney
I just want to start this saying that I absolutely know that I am not entitled to an unconditional offer, and I know that they’re not just given out. But I can’t help but feel disappointed that I didn’t get one, especially since a few of my friends have -who haven’t worked as hard as I have.

This isn’t a sob story but I have had a hard a really tough upbringing and I’m from a bad area. My family doesn’t have money and I have a chronic illness. Despite all this, I worked so hard at my GCSES and achieved mostly 9s. I’ve continued this hard work in my A-levels and I’m predicted A*AA.

I applied for 5 unis a week ago and have received all offers - none unconditional. I have friends with very rich families, who’ve had tutors and haven’t had to work hard get unconditional offers. I feel discouraged and not good enough yet again :frown:

it honestly depends where you apply, poly unis like NTU, leeds beckett, leeds trinity ect, hand out unconditionals like candy to a kid, if you applied to more highly ranked unis, i.e bristol,manc, UCL, bath (obviously many more higher ranked unis) then they want to make you work for your offer. i know birmingham gave out a lot of unconditionals last year but they stopped because they want people to want to actually work towards their grades and most importantly, when applying for graduate schemes, a lot of companies want a specific number of ucas points, usually at least 3 B's, but thats obviously for competitive sectors, like, investment banking or a trainee law compay x
Reply 6
What course did you apply for?
Original post by Tianna_
it honestly depends where you apply, poly unis like NTU, leeds beckett, leeds trinity ect, hand out unconditionals like candy to a kid, if you applied to more highly ranked unis, i.e bristol,manc, UCL, bath (obviously many more higher ranked unis) then they want to make you work for your offer. i know birmingham gave out a lot of unconditionals last year but they stopped because they want people to want to actually work towards their grades and most importantly, when applying for graduate schemes, a lot of companies want a specific number of ucas points, usually at least 3 B's, but thats obviously for competitive sectors, like, investment banking or a trainee law compay x

Maybe I applied for the wrong unis. I applied for York, Durham, Cardiff, Bangor and Lancaster. I plan to still work hard, it would’ve just been nice to be offered an unconditional - like my hard work was paying off.
Original post by Sinnoh
What course did you apply for?

Psychology
You're not entitled to unconditionals... nobody is.

But you have five offers, which is amazing. Quite shocking Bangor didn't give you an unconditional though given it's a uni in Wales (making it less relevant than UK unis) and at the near bottom of the Uni hierarchy.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by cheerIeader
You're not entitled to unconditionals... nobody is.

But you have five offers.

I thought I made that clear at the start? I know I’m not. It’s just frustrating to see such privileged people around me get given everything on a silver plate, whereas I’m always working 3 times as hard to be in the same place.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 11
Maybe I applied for the wrong unis. I applied for York, Durham, Cardiff, Bangor and Lancaster. I plan to still work hard, it would’ve just been nice to be offered an unconditional - like my hard work was paying off.

yeah, those are top universities, i wouldn't see you getting any unconditionals from them
I thought I made that clear at the start? I know I’m not. It’s just frustrating to see such privileged people around me get given everything an a silver plate, whereas I’m always working 3 times as hard to be in the same place.

You're right. I just read the topic again and edited my response. I think it really is shocking Bangor/Cardiff didn't give you an unconditional given the reasons stated above. Both such low ranking unis trying to be prestige.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 13
Psychology

Now the thing with psychology is that it is a very fast-rowing subject in terms of student numbers. So it has gotten more competitive, so some universities can't just dish out unconditionals. Besides, if your predicted grades are A*AA you're probably not looking at the universities that do give out heaps of unconditional offers, e.g. Nottingham Trent or Lincoln

If you want the feeling of your hard work paying off, then revise for your A-levels and meet the offers. That's when you should be working hard anyway.
Original post by Tianna_
yeah, those are top universities, i wouldn't see you getting any unconditionals from them

Bangor wanted BBC I think, and I heard of many people getting unconditionals there. I thought I might’ve had a shot.
(edited 4 years ago)
Honestly don't worry - at the end of the day you know you have worked hard and you are going to leave college with an amazing set of GCSEs and a-levels and you managed to do that all by yourself in some of the worst circumstances. We are going to uni to get a degree to get a job and your hardwork will stand out more when u do your degree and when u get your job x
Doesn't make you a failure for not getting unconditionals, especially since they're not actually given out that often. You still got 5 offers and that's something to be proud of, not everyone even gets that.
Bangor wanted BBC I think, and I heard of some many people getting unconditionals there. I thought I might’ve had a shot.

That's still quite ridiculous though. I only say that because Bangor is ranked 83rd.. on the league tables. A*AA predicted and a series of 9s should inevitably lead to an unconditional offer, to be fair. As well as Cardiff, practically being one of the most relevant unis on the league tables.

Last year when I applied, I was given unconditionals by at least every low to mid tier University, excluding the high end ones. I think these Unis should give out unconditionals to these students, personally. Whereas it's more understandable for the other 3 to not have made an unconditional.
Original post by cheerIeader
You're right. I just read the topic again and edited my response. I think it really is shocking Bangor/Cardiff didn't give you an unconditional given the reasons stated above. Both such low ranking unis trying to be prestige.

I kind of hoped that Bangor and Cardiff would possibly offer me one too, but they’ve made their decision. Bangor even boosted the grades that I’d need to get in compared to what they state online. Nothing seems to be going well.
Original post by MidgetFever
Doesn't make you a failure for not getting unconditionals, especially since they're not actually given out that often. You still got 5 offers and that's something to be proud of, not everyone even gets that.

Thank you a lot :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending