The Student Room Group

Asthma

Hi everyone,

Can someone please help me.

So I have had a blocked and snotty nose for just over a month and now I seem to have a chesty cough and every time I breathe I’m struggling. I keep producing phlegm as well. I’m going to ring the doctors tomorrow. The reason why I didn’t ring the doctors is because I thought it might go. Do you think it is asthma or not?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone,

So I have had a blocked and snotty nose for just over a month and now I seem to have a chesty cough and every time I breathe I’m struggling. I keep producing phlegm as well. I’m going to ring the doctors tomorrow. The reason why I didn’t ring the doctors is because I thought it might go. Do you think it is asthma or not?

Asthma is a long term condition and it usually won’t just ‘go’. Have you ever had breathing issues before?

If it’s causing you issues then ask for a appointment with your GP, coughs usually take around three weeks to recover from.
Reply 2
Original post by Hazzabear
Asthma is a long term condition and it usually won’t just ‘go’. Have you ever had breathing issues before?

If it’s causing you issues then ask for a appointment with your GP, coughs usually take around three weeks to recover from.

My dad has just found out he has asthma so its not a long term condition you can get it whenever and I know I have had the cough for about a month or so?
My dad has just found out he has asthma so its not a long term condition you can get it whenever and I know I have had the cough for about a month or so?

‘Asthma is a long-term condition that can cause wheezing, breathlessness and coughing. It often starts in childhood, but can happen for the first time at any age. The severity of symptoms varies from person to person. Asthma can be controlled well in most people most of the time.’

Source: http://www.healthtalk.org/peoples-experiences/long-term-conditions/asthma/what-asthma
Reply 4
Original post by Hazzabear
‘Asthma is a long-term condition that can cause wheezing, breathlessness and coughing. It often starts in childhood, but can happen for the first time at any age. The severity of symptoms varies from person to person. Asthma can be controlled well in most people most of the time.’

Source: http://www.healthtalk.org/peoples-experiences/long-term-conditions/asthma/what-asthma

Doesnt mean I cant have asthma
Doesn't sound like asthma, maybe a chest infection? It's good that you plan to see a doctor about this, I'm sure they will be able to give you an answer.
Reply 6
I have chronic asthma and am on oxygen every night. Doesn't sound like asthma but may be something called viral asthma which is asthma that only presents symptoms when have a cold. My friend has it and its very easy tot reat just need to keep normally a reliever with you and use it as and when needed. May be a chest infection (especially if phlegm is yellow) certainly go to doctor and they will hopefully give you an answer. DOnt try any medication like inhalers unless told to do so. By boiling a kettle of water, putting it on a bowl then sticking head under towel over bowl and breathe in steam helps stuffed noses, chesty coughs and opens airways. Likewise hot steam showers but dont burn yourself
Reply 7
Original post by HW6162
I have chronic asthma and am on oxygen every night. Doesn't sound like asthma but may be something called viral asthma which is asthma that only presents symptoms when have a cold. My friend has it and its very easy tot reat just need to keep normally a reliever with you and use it as and when needed. May be a chest infection (especially if phlegm is yellow) certainly go to doctor and they will hopefully give you an answer. DOnt try any medication like inhalers unless told to do so. By boiling a kettle of water, putting it on a bowl then sticking head under towel over bowl and breathe in steam helps stuffed noses, chesty coughs and opens airways. Likewise hot steam showers but dont burn yourself

So if I do have chronic asthma does that mean I will need an inhaler
So if I do have chronic asthma does that mean I will need an inhaler

The only person who can tell you that is your doctor. People with asthma don't necessarily need to be on regular inhalers.
Reply 9
Original post by black tea
The only person who can tell you that is your doctor. People with asthma don't necessarily need to be on regular inhalers.

Okay thank you
Hi! I have asthma and you can be diagnosed at any stage of life but it is a chronic illness that will most likely never go away. What you’re describing sounds much more like a chest infection and of course you could still have asthma but your symptoms aren’t necessarily going to be a direct sign of having it. Still get checked out by your doctor though!!

Asthma symptoms include a tightness in the chest, the feeling of not being able to get enough air into your lungs, occasional blue lips, wheezing and coughing (including the feeling of your chest burning when you do cough)!
Original post by Emily_5410
Hi! I have asthma and you can be diagnosed at any stage of life but it is a chronic illness that will most likely never go away. What you’re describing sounds much more like a chest infection and of course you could still have asthma but your symptoms aren’t necessarily going to be a direct sign of having it. Still get checked out by your doctor though!!

Asthma symptoms include a tightness in the chest, the feeling of not being able to get enough air into your lungs, occasional blue lips, wheezing and coughing (including the feeling of your chest burning when you do cough)!

Do you know if I can speak to anyone online

I’m not sure about online but if you ring 111, it’s a non-urgent nhs service that offers advice for medical issues!
Original post by Emily_5410
I’m not sure about online but if you ring 111, it’s a non-urgent nhs service that offers advice for medical issues!

Okay thank you

about what?
Hi everyone,

Please see your GP. You might have a respiratory tract infection and they can prescribe antibiotics if this is the case.
TSR posters can't really give you any proper diagnosis!
I suffer from seasonal asthma, which has similar symptoms to what you have. It is a sort of hayfeaver in combination with asthma. I only has it once last spring. Now it is autumn so you might have it too. Visit your doctor.
Original post by black tea
about what?

Like speak to like a doctor or gp online without paying and see what I have?
this sounds like bronchitis, also asthma doesnt really result in most of those symptoms except the chesty cough. a good way to figure out if its asthma, try and breathe in massively and ask yourself if it feels like your lungs are tight and cant fit as much air in. if so, possibly asthma.
but if youre wheezing from asthma, it usually goes away after a couple hours and then comes back later rather than be constant
Like speak to like a doctor or gp online without paying and see what I have?

Not for free, no. And they wouldn't be able to diagnose you without examining you and doing tests. You can see a GP face-to-face for free though.

Quick Reply

Latest