The Student Room Group

A very stupid situation/Plagiarism

Hello ... I experience a very strange and unique situation and I really need some advices.Probably,this is going to be the stupiest thing you have ever heard. So, we had a group assignment in Econometrics...We completed the assignment and we submitted the paper on time..The turnitin similarity index was very low (6%).. In general,we did not encounter any problem at all and everything seemed perfect...But 2 days ago,the unthinkable happened...A friend of mine wanted to use my laptop to upload his assignment(he is in an other group).But somehow,he got confused and instead of uploading his own assignment,he uploaded my assignment.
Now both groups have the same submitted file, and, as you would expect, the turnitin similarity index raised to 100% . There is no way to withdraw the file after the final submission and now we are stuck in this situation. It is obvious that this is a mistake,as both files have my name and group number on them.My friend sent an email to the professor but he did not respond. So,what should I expect now?Is it possible to be accused of plagiarism? Can i get a zero because of all this?Im just very disappointed as I did nothing wrong, I just borrowed my laptop to a friend ...I havent slept for 2 days ,please help ☹️
Reply 1
Find and talk to the teacher in person and explain the situation. I doubt they would penalise an honest mistake and they would probably give your friend another chance to resubmit the correct file.
Reply 2
Since it is still labelled as your work and they emailed already to try fixing it I'd think they would understand. They should be able to anyway but they might be harsh.
Original post by KeepDreaming21
Hello ... I experience a very strange and unique situation and I really need some advices.Probably,this is going to be the stupiest thing you have ever heard. So, we had a group assignment in Econometrics...We completed the assignment and we submitted the paper on time..The turnitin similarity index was very low (6%).. In general,we did not encounter any problem at all and everything seemed perfect...But 2 days ago,the unthinkable happened...A friend of mine wanted to use my laptop to upload his assignment(he is in an other group).But somehow,he got confused and instead of uploading his own assignment,he uploaded my assignment.
Now both groups have the same submitted file, and, as you would expect, the turnitin similarity index raised to 100% . There is no way to withdraw the file after the final submission and now we are stuck in this situation. It is obvious that this is a mistake,as both files have my name and group number on them.My friend sent an email to the professor but he did not respond. So,what should I expect now?Is it possible to be accused of plagiarism? Can i get a zero because of all this?Im just very disappointed as I did nothing wrong, I just borrowed my laptop to a friend ...I havent slept for 2 days ,please help ☹️

Hmm please don't worry. We can't really say, they may find it suspicious he had your essay but since it's group work you have more of a justification for that. Shiz happens, I hope it works out for you, it probably will.
After a brief conversation I had with the professor and the administrator of the MSc programme,they agreed to allow my friend to re-submit his assignment.However,when I asked about the problem with the high similarity index and the possibility that we will be accused for plagiarism,they only answered "Noted". I really believe that im in trouble...
Now both groups have the same submitted file, and, as you would expect, the turnitin similarity index raised to 100% . There is no way to withdraw the file after the final submission and now we are stuck in this situation. It is obvious that this is a mistake,as both files have my group's name and group number on them.My friend sent an email to the professor but he did not respond. So,what should I expect now?Is it possible to be accused of plagiarism? Can i get a zero because of all this?Im just very disappointed as I did nothing wrong, I just borrowed my laptop to a friend ...I havent slept pleasethr last 2 days,please help ☹️

You need to get in contact with the department administrative staff, as does your friend. You need to fully and calmly explain the situation to allow him to resubmit his own group's work. Generally the website will allow you to resubmit if you are within the allocated timeframe for the assignment so this is worth checking too.
I sincerely doubt they will accuse anyone of plagiarism when they're allowing the resubmission of the other groups work. There's a small chance of a minor penalty or that they'll literally make a note in case anything happens again.
Reply 7
IMHO: If anyone is accused of anything, your friend would be accused of computational incompetence! [ I take it this isn't a computer science course]. I concur with the solution suggested by the other commenter. Also, you should make an attempt to contact the professor [if for no other reason to find out why he didn't respond to your 'friend's' email. Best of luck!
After a brief conversation I had with the professor and the administrator of the MSc programme,they agreed to allow my friend to re-submit his assignment.However,when I asked about the problem with the high similarity index and the possibility that we will be accused for plagiarism,they only answered "Noted". I really believe that im in trouble...

To me, it sounds more like he is 'noting' your honesty and knowledge of what plagiarism is, more than noting an admission of guilt.
To be clear, sharing reports is still technically collusion which can be held to a similar level as plagiarism. That said, it's a pretty common practice amongst students and they're more likely to treat you both with a slap on the wrist that anything more serious.
Original post by spidle
Find and talk to the teacher in person and explain the situation. I doubt they would penalise an honest mistake and they would probably give your friend another chance to resubmit the correct file.

agree with this :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending