The Student Room Group

What is the Law LLB like?

Screen Shot 2019-10-13 at 11.32.53.png

So, recently I've been browsing different University websites for more information about the LAW LLB course and I came across York University and the way in which the course is assessed.

Is the attachment suggesting that most of the degree is focused on coursework rather than exams? Would you guys at University says the degree is less exam based in general? I'm really confused and not sure what to make of the percentage weightings because it seems to be minimal in terms of exams and non-existent in third year.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm not at York, but to me this seems a little odd..

When I went to their open day, they advocated a problem-based approach to the degree, so working in a group and talking about things, so maybe it really is like that.

But my Law degree (QMUL) has been very exam-based. The coursework makes up very little of my grade.
Original post by hollyoliviaxx
I'm not at York, but to me this seems a little odd..

When I went to their open day, they advocated a problem-based approach to the degree, so working in a group and talking about things, so maybe it really is like that.

But my Law degree (QMUL) has been very exam-based. The coursework makes up very little of my grade.

Yeah I heard that it focuses heavily on the practical side of things but don't actually know anyone who can confirm/deny this.
May I ask what year you're in and how difficult exams have been for you?
Original post by cheerIeader
Yeah I heard that it focuses heavily on the practical side of things but don't actually know anyone who can confirm/deny this.
May I ask what year you're in and how difficult exams have been for you?

Of course - I'm in second year, and I found them okay tbh! If you put in the work, all will be fine x
I have a feeling the York LLB is an anomaly, it's typical normally to assess by exam with some coursework thrown in rather than the other way round. Though this might differ depending on what modules you take and what university it is.

The modules I've chosen this year my exams/coursework are pretty much 50/50, though some of them are assessed through both.
Reply 5
I have only started my LLB with York but i can say that in YLS there is something called PBL which will be helpful for you to understand why York has more coursework than exams but i can say that most exams you will take are in the first year.
Original post by Tysei22
I have only started my LLB with York but i can say that in YLS there is something called PBL which will be helpful for you to understand why York has more coursework than exams but i can say that most exams you will take are in the first year.

Would you say this is easier/better than sitting exams??

How are you finding York?
Reply 7

In my opinion I find it easier since I don't have to stress about exams but every time you have to go to a PBL sessions and other sessions you will get assessed for a lot of things such as contribution in sessions. However there are other people that find it harder since it is a new way of learning's for them. It depends if your an exam person or not.

York as a city is nice and cozy since its small but has a lot of history and there are many things to do in my opinion. However i might be saying that because I come from a small town. It is better to see it for yourself so that you can get a view of what it is.
(edited 4 years ago)

Personally, I'd hate that structure. I'd much prefer 0% coursework and two or three final examinations in May/June.
Theoretically I agree, but I have never found coursework anything other than a ballache - and the only 'coursework' I've ever had to do is absolute minimal. I like the fear of everything riding on your final examinations - with the added threat of if you fail them, you're out with no possibility to resit. Doesn't suit everyone, but I need that pressure to produce my best work. Give me a piece of coursework with a deadline one month in the future and i'm just like 'mañana'.
Original post by Reality Check
Theoretically I agree, but I have never found coursework anything other than a ballache - and the only 'coursework' I've ever had to do is absolute minimal. I like the fear of everything riding on your final examinations - with the added threat of if you fail them, you're out with no possibility to resit. Doesn't suit everyone, but I need that pressure to produce my best work. Give me a piece of coursework with a deadline one month in the future and i'm just like 'mañana'.

I get exactly where you're coming from. I had coursework for my A-Level and left it to the night before, it just seemed like a huge hassle and stress especially because it only counted for 20% of the grade so it was minimal and yet the workload was pretty much just as significant without it. I don't know if having 0% exams is a good idea and I'm sure by being assessed for things such as 'contribution to lessons' would make it much more stressful for some people. Personally, I don't like the concept of group work counting for that much of the mark either, mostly because there's usually an inevitable difference in opinion/someone slacking in the group.
I get exactly where you're coming from. I had coursework for my A-Level and left it to the night before, it just seemed like a huge hassle and stress especially because it only counted for 20% of the grade so it was minimal and yet the workload was pretty much just as significant without it. I don't know if having 0% exams is a good idea and I'm sure by being assessed for things such as 'contribution to lessons' would make it much more stressful for some people. Personally, I don't like the concept of group work counting for that much of the mark either, mostly because there's usually an inevitable difference in opinion/someone slacking in the group.

My absolute nightmare is group work. Particularly if it counts towards your final mark.
My absolute nightmare is group work. Particularly if it counts towards your final mark.

The more I read your posts, the better I feel. I must admit, I really don't enjoy group work either because in order to spend all my energy on something, I have to know that is is solely mine. It probably isn't a good quality for an aspiring lawyer but I am very possessive of my work and really cringe at the thought of someone else is contributing to it. :cry:
Original post by Sinful Delight
The more I read your posts, the better I feel. I must admit, I really don't enjoy group work either because in order to spend all my energy on something, I have to know that is is solely mine. It probably isn't a good quality for an aspiring lawyer but I am very possessive of my work and really cringe at the thought of someone else is contributing to it. :cry:

I think we all feel like this - you're certainly not alone. Exactly as you say - why should your hard work mean that a load of slackers get to do bugger all and get an 80 out of it.

So unfair...

My mother always told me I have a twin, but I was never told about triplets.
Original post by LaPregunta
My mother always told me I have a twin, but I was never told about triplets.

How could your mother deprive you of the comfort that comes from knowing that others like you exist? Almost criminal!
How could your mother deprive you of the comfort that comes from knowing that others like you exist? Almost criminal!

Fancy findin out only when one is preparin to leave for university - a conspiracy! I am able to deduce nothin else, other than that this was contrived as a way for me to stay at home. Well no more!
(edited 4 years ago)
Fancy findin out only when one is preparin to leave for university - a conspiracy! I am able to deduce nothin else, other than that this was contrived as a way for me to stay at home. Well no more!

haha
What are you applying for? Judging from your posts, I would say Law.

[Sorry OP for derailing your thread]
haha
What are you applying for? Judging from your posts, I would say Law.

[Sorry OP for derailing your thread]

I'm really not to sure how I find myself in these law threads, rarely do I ever answer the initial question.😂😂

I have applied to study politics and international relations, but I am considerin a MJur (Magister Juris).

I'd like to ask you the same: what do you want to study?

[My apologies for deviatin as well]
I'm really not to sure how I find myself in these law threads, rarely do I ever answer the initial question.😂😂

I have applied to study politics and international relations, but I am considerin a MJur (Magister Juris).

I'd like to ask you the same: what do you want to study?

[My apologies for deviatin as well]

Thanks for letting me know, I will make sure to follow you around on the site and report every single off-topic post of yours. :tongue:
It is honestly really easy to derail threads so don't feel too bad about it, I do it all the time.

That sounds nice! How did you decide?

Law. :biggrin:

Quick Reply