The Student Room Group

2020 Entry Medicine A100 for International Applicants

Welcome! This is a thread for international applicants to discuss their experiences with applying for A100 medicine and help each other out through this daunting process.

Ask questions, invite friends, discuss interview preparations, anything under the sun related to your med school application.

PS: we're all terrified and we're all freaking out and this is to let you know that TSR is not just to intimidate you with alllll the extremely smart people with exceptional CVs on here. Okay enjoy and good luck!

Scroll to see replies

Hi! I got an interview invite from Cardiff! Just wanted to ask when whether opting to fly to Cardiff for MMIs is a smarter decision than a skype call in Malaysia? Also would it be wise to reply now or wait until my other unis reply (as i might be able to pick dates around the same time if i get more than 1 interview saving me the trouble of flying to the UK over and over again). Thanks!
Original post by nadir5501
Hi! I got an interview invite from Cardiff! Just wanted to ask when whether opting to fly to Cardiff for MMIs is a smarter decision than a skype call in Malaysia? Also would it be wise to reply now or wait until my other unis reply (as i might be able to pick dates around the same time if i get more than 1 interview saving me the trouble of flying to the UK over and over again). Thanks!

when did you receive your invite>?>
Original post by UNGONDAL1
when did you receive your invite>?>

yesterday, about 18 hours ago
Reply 4

choosing between Malaysia and Cardiff depends on where you live and whether you prefer face to face or Skype.
But if you choose Cardiff, you should reply asap and book dates after they send you the link. you can wait to book dates for a little bit, maybe until you get another interview? Some medical schools also understand and try to accommodate you when you're already there if you ask them to.
yesterday, about 18 hours ago

if you dont mind telling your gcses
yeah no problem
8A*s and 2As. Honestly im not sure if the number of A*s matter more or what subjects they were achieved in.

Original post by UNGONDAL1
if you dont mind telling your gcses
Original post by varshb
choosing between Malaysia and Cardiff depends on where you live and whether you prefer face to face or Skype.
But if you choose Cardiff, you should reply asap and book dates after they send you the link. you can wait to book dates for a little bit, maybe until you get another interview? Some medical schools also understand and try to accommodate you when you're already there if you ask them to.

ah okay, makes sense. Thanks a bunch. Will probably go for cardiff face to face then.
Reply 8
yeah no problem
8A*s and 2As. Honestly im not sure if the number of A*s matter more or what subjects they were achieved in.

number of a* is more important, as long as you have English, maths and sciences (at least 2) and wow thats a great score btw!
Reply 9
Original post by varshb
Welcome! This is a thread for international applicants to discuss their experiences with applying for A100 medicine and help each other out through this daunting process.

Ask questions, invite friends, discuss interview preparations, anything under the sun related to your med school application.

PS: we're all terrified and we're all freaking out and this is to let you know that TSR is not just to intimidate you with alllll the extremely smart people with exceptional CVs on here. Okay enjoy and good luck!

Did anyone apply to KCL, Aston, UCLan or Buckingham?
Reply 10
Original post by JW2019
Did anyone apply to KCL, Aston, UCLan or Buckingham?

I'm applying to UCLan
Reply 11
Original post by _karen_
I'm applying to UCLan

When did you submit your application and have you received any interview invite? I submitted in Oct and haven't hear back yet. Some people on the Internet say they prefer Buckingham over UCLan, what's your take?
Reply 12
Original post by _karen_
I'm applying to UCLan

My son just got an interview call from UCLAN, will most likely schedule in December 16-20 week
He is applying from the US, currently in 12th grade.
AP: 5/5/5 (Chemistry/Psychology/Computer Science)
GPA 4.56/5
Reply 13
Original post by JW2019
When did you submit your application and have you received any interview invite? I submitted in Oct and haven't hear back yet. Some people on the Internet say they prefer Buckingham over UCLan, what's your take?

I haven't submitted my application yet , but I will in the coming week I live in Dubai, so according to their website, the last date of application for me would be Dec 1. In my opinion, UCLan is better than Buckingham. This is based on what I've heard from different people and the fact that it is gmc approved. Buckingham has a 4.5 year course, which is practically unheard of.
Reply 14
Are there any other universities I can apply to that are not under UCAS?
Reply 15
Original post by _karen_
Are there any other universities I can apply to that are not under UCAS?

Bart’s Malta is supposed to be modern and innovative, like uclan and Buckingham
Reply 16
Original post by _karen_
I haven't submitted my application yet , but I will in the coming week I live in Dubai, so according to their website, the last date of application for me would be Dec 1. In my opinion, UCLan is better than Buckingham. This is based on what I've heard from different people and the fact that it is gmc approved. Buckingham has a 4.5 year course, which is practically unheard of.

I do agree that the 4.5 years is a bit odd. That said, Buckingham is in fact GMC approved just this year, as their first class has just graduated. On the other hand UCLan will only get the official final GMC approval next April, when their first MBBS class graduate. I think why some people prefer Buckingham over UCLan is generally speaking, the former is a better university than UCLan. Not sure about how the two medical schools compare to each other in particular though.
Reply 17
Original post by Usapp
My son just got an interview call from UCLAN, will most likely schedule in December 16-20 week
He is applying from the US, currently in 12th grade.
AP: 5/5/5 (Chemistry/Psychology/Computer Science)
GPA 4.56/5

Nice, I am also applying from the US! But I'm in college now, I go to Bama :smile:
Reply 18
Wondering what people plan on doing/are doing to prep for interviews.. what would you say the best methods are? Also, does anyone want to do mock interviews together??
Original post by _karen_

4.5 year. If there were shorter holidays, it can be done.

Latest

Trending

Trending