The Student Room Group

Can you drop out the second year of A Levels?

I’m not going to go uni, and only have two A levels which I need to complete, however I want to drop out off college and perhaps do a course or something the next year. But how do I get college to accept that I’m taking a gap year out, how will they let me off?
Original post by RedVelvet101
I’m not going to go uni, and only have two A levels which I need to complete, however I want to drop out off college and perhaps do a course or something the next year. But how do I get college to accept that I’m taking a gap year out, how will they let me off?

As far as I know, you have to been in some kind of education until the age of 18. So if you drop year 13 to start doing a BTEC or an apprenticeship or some other course, it should be all good. If you want to drop year 13 and take a gap year and not continue education, I don't think that's legal, unless you're already 18. If you're still 17 I'm guessing they wouldn't let you off, but if you're 18, even though they will discourage you from taking a gap year, I don't think they can technically stop you.
If you want to complete year 13 but not go to Uni, that should also be fine. After you finish year 13 you're 18 so you can do what you want, whether it be gap year, apprenticeship, work or other.
I would personally just complete year 13 and then take it from there, but we're different people and I don't know your circumstances, so I can't say what choice is best for you. 😅
Reply 2
Provided you're 18, you can legally drop out. Otherwise you'd legally have to do an apprenticeship, traineeship or do 20 hours of work/volunteering a week whilst in part-time education. If you are 18 already then yes, you could take a year out. Try talking to a guidance or careers counsellor as they're most likely to help you with other options.
Original post by LunaAngelEclipse
As far as I know, you have to been in some kind of education until the age of 18. So if you drop year 13 to start doing a BTEC or an apprenticeship or some other course, it should be all good. If you want to drop year 13 and take a gap year and not continue education, I don't think that's legal, unless you're already 18. If you're still 17 I'm guessing they wouldn't let you off, but if you're 18, even though they will discourage you from taking a gap year, I don't think they can technically stop you.
If you want to complete year 13 but not go to Uni, that should also be fine. After you finish year 13 you're 18 so you can do what you want, whether it be gap year, apprenticeship, work or other.
I would personally just complete year 13 and then take it from there, but we're different people and I don't know your circumstances, so I can't say what choice is best for you. 😅

Yes I’m 17, but will turn 18 in January, I was wanting to take this time off and then start a BTEC or something in September and then maybe afterwards consider uni.
Original post by kngysng
Provided you're 18, you can legally drop out. Otherwise you'd legally have to do an apprenticeship, traineeship or do 20 hours of work/volunteering a week whilst in part-time education. If you are 18 already then yes, you could take a year out. Try talking to a guidance or careers counsellor as they're most likely to help you with other options.

Will I need to provide some evidence of work?
Yes I’m 17, but will turn 18 in January, I was wanting to take this time off and then start a BTEC or something in September and then maybe afterwards consider uni.

I would definitely recommend consulting with the careers officer or a trusted teacher at your school about what would be required to apply for the BTEC you want. Start doing to some light research now so when the time comes you're prepared. Can I ask why you want to go from A level to BTEC? Also don't forget to consider if you will have to pay for tuition. In my school I think you have to pay for tuition if you're still entering a school year at around 19 or 20, idk if it's he same at your college.
Original post by LunaAngelEclipse
I would definitely recommend consulting with the careers officer or a trusted teacher at your school about what would be required to apply for the BTEC you want. Start doing to some light research now so when the time comes you're prepared. Can I ask why you want to go from A level to BTEC? Also don't forget to consider if you will have to pay for tuition. In my school I think you have to pay for tuition if you're still entering a school year at around 19 or 20, idk if it's he same at your college.

Trust me the careers advisors are rarely there, there’s a careers fair once out the blue in a month, there are no *trusting* teachers there, they’re all snobby and stuck up and barely listen to a word we say. The only teacher that listens is the one in my English class and he only advises us to talk to a form tutor, and out form tutor is the one who told me I won’t get the grades I want for uni, I would have to do a foundation course since I have 2 A levels. Plus if I have one year of AS I still have some UCAS points to add on to the BTEC then
Reply 7
Will I need to provide some evidence of work?

i doubt an employer would take you full time under 18 unless you show proof of part time education or training because they could be prosecuted, if you’re earning enough to be taxed you’d probably have to show proof of education too, not sure.
Trust me the careers advisors are rarely there, there’s a careers fair once out the blue in a month, there are no *trusting* teachers there, they’re all snobby and stuck up and barely listen to a word we say. The only teacher that listens is the one in my English class and he only advises us to talk to a form tutor, and out form tutor is the one who told me I won’t get the grades I want for uni, I would have to do a foundation course since I have 2 A levels. Plus if I have one year of AS I still have some UCAS points to add on to the BTEC then

Hi, are you thinking of doing a BTEC National?? A BTEC National is a very worthwhile qualification but its Diploma is 2 years full time and equivalent to 2 or possibly 3 A levels, (the cert is 1 year and comparable to just one A level ). Bear in mind also, that some universities especially those in the Russell Group place more merit on A levels than a BTEC. You will also be 2 perhaps 3 years older than your peers if you did indeed go to university following completion of your BTEC. Unless you then go on to do a BTEC Higher Diploma which is equivalent to the 2nd year of a degree. And, you will have employability skills that are work-ready industry/professional specific which are taught on most BTEC courses as they are vocational, rather than academic ie A levels and degree. May I also suggest you contact the National Careers Service? A casual Google search will bring them up. They may be able to advise you further. Good luck!
Original post by Tempting....
Hi, are you thinking of doing a BTEC National?? A BTEC National is a very worthwhile qualification but its Diploma is 2 years full time and equivalent to 2 or possibly 3 A levels, (the cert is 1 year and comparable to just one A level ). Bear in mind also, that some universities especially those in the Russell Group place more merit on A levels than a BTEC. You will also be 2 perhaps 3 years older than your peers if you did indeed go to university following completion of your BTEC. Unless you then go on to do a BTEC Higher Diploma which is equivalent to the 2nd year of a degree. And, you will have employability skills that are work-ready industry/professional specific which are taught on most BTEC courses as they are vocational, rather than academic ie A levels and degree. May I also suggest you contact the National Careers Service? A casual Google search will bring them up. They may be able to advise you further. Good luck!

Thank you
Thank you

No problem! I hope it helps you in some way. Let us know what you decide. Best wishes!
I am 18 years old and attend sixth form in the UK, I am in year 13, however I am facing extreme stress, anxiety and depression brought by college, I do a levels and i feel too overwhelmed to complete them, affecting mentally and physically, can I leave college to do some volunteer work and apprenticeship? I do not want trouble from the college or law. Can I legally leave in my own will?

Yes you can drop off the course however if you're under 18 you'd need to then do another course. I dropped out of second a level year after getting two AS levels and did a UAL diploma which is basically a one year course.
Original post by Burnoutstudent
I am 18 years old and attend sixth form in the UK, I am in year 13, however I am facing extreme stress, anxiety and depression brought by college, I do a levels and i feel too overwhelmed to complete them, affecting mentally and physically, can I leave college to do some volunteer work and apprenticeship? I do not want trouble from the college or law. Can I legally leave in my own will?

Well legally sure, but you'll have a very hard time going back to education if you've had enough of volunteering or don't like apprenticeships. Talking to the school and work something out (even if it means leaving school for now/forever) would be better for your record and leaves the back door open
Original post by Burnoutstudent

Of course you're allowed to leave. You're 18. You can do as you wish from now on. As in, you could literally decide to leave right now if you wanted to. Obviously you need to talk to the college etc but they can't legally make you stay.
Apprenticeships are a great route to go down. Good luck.

@RedVelvet101
As is my understanding, if you do not complete your Level 3 course, you would still get funding, if not you would be entitled to get an advanced learner loan when you are 19 which you can use for a Level 3 course. If you decide to do an Access to HE course in an area such as Nursing, Social Sciences, Engineering, Business etc. when you complete your degree you do not have to pay the loan for the access course back. The Government love such programs because they are a one year course that fast tracks people into University - check with your local FE provider :smile:

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Original post by lil_hellgirl
Yes you can drop off the course however if you're under 18 you'd need to then do another course. I dropped out of second a level year after getting two AS levels and did a UAL diploma which is basically a one year course.

Hello, I've completed the A levels, I wanted to leave but I was made to feel like a failure and I had to stay on, my aim was to have a gap year straight after so I was looking forward to that. However I got pressured to take on a level 3 course at a different college straight after. My depression is spiralling because of this. I've been absent for 2 weeks now and everyone is concerned. But they are only concerned because of my academic progress and go on about "how hard I've worked for it." My mum even feels embarrassed about me wanting to leave college after one month kf attending. How can I explain to everyone that I'm taking a gap year not because of being lazy?

Quick Reply