The Student Room Group

no one understands my pain :(

I’ve been having really bad anxiety living away from home & I feel so pathetic for missing home so much cos everyone just makes me feel so small about missing it too much. I feel like my friends don’t understand my pain as they live at home & commute & don’t really like their homes anyway but they’re not allowed to live away so have no choice. The more I live at uni the more I realise this life isn’t for me & I just hate it so much & I feel no one understands my pain & I feel so isolated & alone & whenever I think about going back to uni it gives me anxiety :frown:
Reply 1
Are you planning to move out for good at some point?
I feel you because i feel the same and in the exact same boat
Reply 3
Original post by Sataris
Are you planning to move out for good at some point?

Not really no I plan to commute wen I start working in London hopefully cos London is quite close to me by train & loads of people from my town commute to London
Reply 4
Original post by Blackstarr
I feel you because i feel the same and in the exact same boat

I’m planning to transfer unis next year to one closer to me so I can commute everyday :smile: it won’t make any diff cos the unis are of similar ranking
Hey!
Don't worry, this is a very common theme amongst people in their first few years of University.
General homesickness is all over this section on TSR, to be honest!
Sorry to hear you're having a rough go of it -- but I think, a few questions are in order:

- Are you enjoying University itself? The course, the content, etc.
- Have you made any new friends and would they understand your situation?
- Most people get over being homesick after a while, do you not think you will?

At some point, you are likely to live away from home and move into your own place eventually.
Joshua :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by hallamstudents
Hey!
Don't worry, this is a very common theme amongst people in their first few years of University.
General homesickness is all over this section on TSR, to be honest!
Sorry to hear you're having a rough go of it -- but I think, a few questions are in order:

- Are you enjoying University itself? The course, the content, etc.
- Have you made any new friends and would they understand your situation?
- Most people get over being homesick after a while, do you not think you will?

At some point, you are likely to live away from home and move into your own place eventually.
Joshua :biggrin:

Yes uni itself is fine.
I have made friends but cos they live at home they don’t understand my pain so I’m gonna stop telling them cos whilst they’re only trying to be nice, they’re giving me even more anxiety.
& I really don’t think I’ll get over it. Everyday I dread to wake up & ever since going uni I fall asleep so late due to anxiety. I wake up with anxiety at the thought of going back.
& I don’t think I will, I’d like to live with my parents
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve been having really bad anxiety living away from home & I feel so pathetic for missing home so much cos everyone just makes me feel so small about missing it too much. I feel like my friends don’t understand my pain as they live at home & commute & don’t really like their homes anyway but they’re not allowed to live away so have no choice. The more I live at uni the more I realise this life isn’t for me & I just hate it so much & I feel no one understands my pain & I feel so isolated & alone & whenever I think about going back to uni it gives me anxiety :frown:

Reach out to your University Wellbeing Team for support. Whether it's just someone to talk to or to access their services, they'll be able to offer the best impartial advice.
Reply 8
Original post by UniversityOfSunderland
Reach out to your University Wellbeing Team for support. Whether it's just someone to talk to or to access their services, they'll be able to offer the best impartial advice.

I spoke to my personal tutor who was really helpful & suggested as I only have 3 days of uni, to go home on the other days as that’s the best thing for me & said by the end of the year if I still want to transfer that’d she’d help me with it
I spoke to my personal tutor who was really helpful & suggested as I only have 3 days of uni, to go home on the other days as that’s the best thing for me & said by the end of the year if I still want to transfer that’d she’d help me with it

That sounds like a good balance :smile:
Best of luck with everything!

Hey!

First of all, you're not pathetic for missing home. It's a completely normal thing to feel, it's a whole new experience. There are so many people in the same boat as you, you're not the only one feeling this way.

Have you thought about not living in student accommodation anymore? Or is it hard with the commute if you lived back home? I think it'll be good to keep going home as much as possible to see your family, like on the weekends or if you have a free day through the week.

Even trying to keep yourself busy to take your mind off things might be a good step in the right direction - have you thought about joining a club or society? Or becoming a student ambassador, or undertaking a volunteering opportunity?

I wish you all the very best, and I hope everything works out for you.

Becky
Original post by University of Bradford
Hey!

First of all, you're not pathetic for missing home. It's a completely normal thing to feel, it's a whole new experience. There are so many people in the same boat as you, you're not the only one feeling this way.

Have you thought about not living in student accommodation anymore? Or is it hard with the commute if you lived back home? I think it'll be good to keep going home as much as possible to see your family, like on the weekends or if you have a free day through the week.

Even trying to keep yourself busy to take your mind off things might be a good step in the right direction - have you thought about joining a club or society? Or becoming a student ambassador, or undertaking a volunteering opportunity?

I wish you all the very best, and I hope everything works out for you.

Becky

the commute is 2 hrs away & i have to change trains aswell. what I do is as I only have uni mon, thurs,fri, after my lecture on Monday I go back home & don't come back till Thursday morning & only stay overnight on Thursday then go back home on Friday after my lecture to stay for the weekend. my personal tutor recommends I do this too as its the only thing keeping me slightly sane. & ive joined societies, but they've only held a few events all of which I couldn't attend & haven't said anything about future events. & no matter what I do, im just not happy & being & staying at uni is a reminder of my unhappiness :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending