The Student Room Group

Let’s study, honey!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IH8Studying
i also have 4 gcses and one AS. but neither of them are A*s so congrats!!!

tag me if you can pls

It's so nice to meet someone else in a similar boat! I'll be sure to tag you in my next post!
Original post by QueenAelin
It's so nice to meet someone else in a similar boat! I'll be sure to tag you in my next post!

Definitely! May i ask, what chronic conditions you have? i relate to you but you seem so determined and that makes me so happy! i wanna be as positive as you :h:
Original post by SlightlySummer
Please do tag me on your journey, btw I can totally relate with finding it difficult to pronounce the French 'r' :argh:
and that Latin textbook brought back so many memories :lol:
good luck!

Of course I'll tag you! The French "r" really cripples my soul. At times, I'll sit at my desk and just keep trying to say "garçon" and "merci" over and over :laugh: I was really nervous about starting Latin, but the pronunciation doesn't make me want to cry, so I think I'll handle it better than French!
Original post by IH8Studying
Definitely! May i ask, what chronic conditions you have? i relate to you but you seem so determined and that makes me so happy! i wanna be as positive as you :h:

I have ME/CFS, ulcerative colitis, and Raynaud's syndrome. I'm also being investigated for some problems with my elbow that might be rheumatoid arthritis. It's definitely not been an easy few years! I can't go to school full time, so I'm just taking everything at my own pace at home. Since I've stopped comparing myself to my peers and just gone with my own flow, I've felt so much better about my learning! If you ever need any advice or someone to talk to, my inbox is always open! :h:
I have ME/CFS, ulcerative colitis, and Raynaud's syndrome. I'm also being investigated for some problems with my elbow that might be rheumatoid arthritis. It's definitely not been an easy few years! I can't go to school full time, so I'm just taking everything at my own pace at home. Since I've stopped comparing myself to my peers and just gone with my own flow, I've felt so much better about my learning! If you ever need any advice or someone to talk to, my inbox is always open! :h:

Oh i don’t know what any of them are. Yes i have plenty of questions so i’ll pm you so i don’t derail the thread x
Well done for those amazing results. Keep up the motivation with biology and chemistry.
I may be biased as I’m doing my GCSE this year but I would 100000% recommend doing Latin, personally I love it, especially with interests in mythology history and languages. The CLC book is sooo good, that is what I learnt with.
Also I think that I also have Raynauds syndrome but I haven’t been diagnosed
Original post by awjackson
Well done for those amazing results. Keep up the motivation with biology and chemistry.
I may be biased as I’m doing my GCSE this year but I would 100000% recommend doing Latin, personally I love it, especially with interests in mythology history and languages. The CLC book is sooo good, that is what I learnt with.
Also I think that I also have Raynauds syndrome but I haven’t been diagnosed

Thank you!:h:
I'm starting Latin next Wednesday, and I'm really excited! Language learning is something I'm steadily coming to regard as my favourite subject! I do love classical history, so I'm hoping it will be a good motivator. Do you have any other recommendations for textbooks? I know I need a dictionary, but I'm not sure what one is best :confused:
Raynaud's sucks, doesn't it? I had to wear a coat to the beach this summer because the wind kept triggering it. I always look like I could be cast in a live action smurf movie :laugh:
Seems like you've had a productive week. Please keep me tagged x
Original post by hope2002
Seems like you've had a productive week. Please keep me tagged x

I'll be sure to add you into my next post! :h:
I'll be sure to add you into my next post! :h:

Latin textbook: Cambridge Latin course for basics then Latin for gcse by John Taylor. I only used the 2nd one, but the first one may be more helpful. I’m kind of proud to say this but if you need Latin help, I’m your guy. I’m doing same sciences too so I’ll follow this.
Original post by ThunderBeard
Latin textbook: Cambridge Latin course for basics then Latin for gcse by John Taylor. I only used the 2nd one, but the first one may be more helpful. I’m kind of proud to say this but if you need Latin help, I’m your guy. I’m doing same sciences too so I’ll follow this.

Thanks! I'm going to have to add John Taylor's textbook to my Amazon basket in the morning!
Hey, I'd like to follow your GYG.
Original post by Tolgarda
Hey, I'd like to follow your GYG.

Of course! I’ll add you into my next post :h:
Hiya! I'm a tad late, but can I be added to the tag list? Your GYG seems like a really
interesting/refreshing read & I'm impressed at your organisation & discipline!

In terms of Latin, I managed to get 2 A*s @ GCSE for it using the same book & the
Duolingo app and I loved it - there were all sorts of passage to translate ('Caecilius est
in horto' is a classic) & it should also help with your French & improve your understanding
of English. I recommend downloading the offline course on Memrise as well as you can go
on it whenever to test your vocab, plus there's an official CLC vocab list.

I also see that we share I mutual love for Hozier! I went to his concert this October and am
listening to Foreigner's God as we speak (type?) lol.
All the best with your studies :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by GlenCacao
Hiya! I'm a tad late, but can I be added to the tag list? Your GYG seems like a really
interesting/refreshing read & I'm impressed at your organisation & discipline!

In terms of Latin, I managed to get 2 A*s @ GCSE for it using the same book & the
Duolingo app and I loved it - there were all sorts of passage to translate ('Caecilius est
in horto' is a classic) & it should also help with your French & improve your understanding
of English. I recommend downloading the offline course on Memrise as well as you can go
on it whenever to test your vocab, plus there's an official CLC vocab list.

I also see that we share I mutual love for Hozier! I went to his concert this October and am
listening to Foreigner's God as we speak (type?) lol.
All the best with your studies :smile:

Yes, of course, I’d be happy to add you! Thank you for the compliment, and I’m glad my ruse to make everyone believe I’m an efficient and disciplined student is working! :laugh:

Thank you for the Latin advice, I’ll take it to heart! I’ve never heard of memrise before, and it looks really useful! I’ve downloaded it, and I’ll definitely be using it for both Latin & French.

And Hozier! I can’t believe you got to see him live! The jealousy is radiating off me in droves! Was it as majestic as I’d imagine it to be? :crossedf:
Yes, of course, I’d be happy to add you! Thank you for the compliment, and I’m glad my ruse to make everyone believe I’m an efficient and disciplined student is working! :laugh:

Thank you for the Latin advice, I’ll take it to heart! I’ve never heard of memrise before, and it looks really useful! I’ve downloaded it, and I’ll definitely be using it for both Latin & French.

And Hozier! I can’t believe you got to see him live! The jealousy is radiating off me in droves! Was it as majestic as I’d imagine it to be? :crossedf:

Hi! Pls excuse my very late reply, but yes, Hozier was spectacular live - I was lucky enough to be right at the barricade & even though I was almost deafened by the speakers, it was worth it & everyone was so friendly :smile:

I'm glad you had a great Christmas and, as always, envy your organisation skills :jive:
If it helps any, I'm currently doing a grand total of 0 mins revision, so you're still ahead of me with your 15-20 mins a day :colondollar:

On another note, I noticed that you have Circe by Madeline Miller on your bookshelf; is it any good? I read The Song of Achilles
a few years ago & remember loving it :suith:
Original post by GlenCacao
Hi! Pls excuse my very late reply, but yes, Hozier was spectacular live - I was lucky enough to be right at the barricade & even though I was almost deafened by the speakers, it was worth it & everyone was so friendly :smile:

I'm glad you had a great Christmas and, as always, envy your organisation skills :jive:
If it helps any, I'm currently doing a grand total of 0 mins revision, so you're still ahead of me with your 15-20 mins a day :colondollar:

On another note, I noticed that you have Circe by Madeline Miller on your bookshelf; is it any good? I read The Song of Achilles
a few years ago & remember loving it :suith:

I’m so glad you had a great time! I’m not, in any way, shape, or form, jealous AT ALL :wink2:

Oh god, there’s no reason to envy my organisational skills! I’m good at keeping my folders and room clean and that’s where it ends! It took me ten minutes to plan my day this morning and I was off track by 1 o’clock :laugh: Have you gotten back into studying yet?

Circe was fantastic; I can’t recommend it enough! It was one of my favourite reads last year alongside The Secret History and The Children of Blood and Bone! The Song of Achilles was really, really heartbreaking, so Circe was a bit more uplifting in comparison :h:
sounds like you've had a lovely week :hugs:
i saw tbosbas on amazon and was very tempted to order it as i did really enjoy the hunger games books :colondollar: :yep:
your dog sounds adorable :love:
Original post by absolutelysprout
sounds like you've had a lovely week :hugs:
i saw tbosbas on amazon and was very tempted to order it as i did really enjoy the hunger games books :colondollar: :yep:
your dog sounds adorable :love:

I did, and I hope lockdown’s treating you well, too! :h:
Oh God, I loved TBOSAS so much, it’s ridiculous! It’s a pretty controversial read, though! I’m seeing lots of people on Goodreads saying they did like being in a villain’s head, but I had a great time! :closedeyes:
I can't believe I just found this. As a person with a chronic pain and some super rare neurological disorder I'm so gonna follow this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending