The Student Room Group

Can you get kicked out of university for attendance?

I know it's bad on my part, but I live quite far away and I come in about 5-10 minutes late all the time, however lates are marked as absent. I've also been very sick where I start almost fainting if I stand up for too long so I couldn't come in one week. This lead me to have 53% attendance when the most I should have is 70% for the term to get in. It's only marked for this term. Do you think I can get this up? I personally never knew about this mandatory thing and that it's marked as absent as well. I've literally been there almost 100% of the day most days. It is only my first term in first year and I haven't missed out on anything because my course was just doing introductory things and barely had any work to do.
Would I still get kicked out? Forget people being careless because of first years, I think this university may be a little more serious and I really can't be late.
I have now been told to leave uni twice because of poor attendance due to illness and being in hospital - the first uni kicked me out whereas the second have told me to take a leave of absence and they will assess things before the next academic year. I’d say it’s worth talking to your tutor about! Or maybe student support... they’re usually very understanding and at the end of the day the uni wants your money so if you’re keeping up with the work I’d say it would probably be less of a problem :smile: my uni would have been happy for me to stay but unfortunately I’ve been in hospital for 6 months so it’s not been feasible to keep up with work :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
I know it's bad on my part, but I live quite far away and I come in about 5-10 minutes late all the time, however lates are marked as absent. I've also been very sick where I start almost fainting if I stand up for too long so I couldn't come in one week. This lead me to have 53% attendance when the most I should have is 70% for the term to get in. It's only marked for this term. Do you think I can get this up? I personally never knew about this mandatory thing and that it's marked as absent as well. I've literally been there almost 100% of the day most days. It is only my first term in first year and I haven't missed out on anything because my course was just doing introductory things and barely had any work to do.
Would I still get kicked out? Forget people being careless because of first years, I think this university may be a little more serious and I really can't be late.

Hi there,

Some universities have a strict policy on attending, so it would depend on your universities policy but you should talk to your personal tutor or student support about your concerns over your attendance.

Fi :horse:
Original post by Anonymous

If you are late, then that's on you I'm afraid. However, if you've been ill you should be able to provide evidence (a doctor's note or hospital admission paperwork). If you can't provide this evidence, then you need to speak to your personal tutor. They may let you off this time, but if it becomes a pattern, they will probably be less lenient next time.
Hey.
It's pretty strange that they're marking lates down as total absences. What university do you go to?
If anyone questions your attendance, I would explain this part mostly -- that you're attending, but you're just late.
It doesn't make much sense to me, as attendance is, simply put, being present in the lecture or seminar. Why they'd decide to mark you as not present as a result is a silly policy. Maybe if you're an hour late to a seminar that's only an hour and thirty minutes, I would understand.

If you explain that, and maybe try to focus about setting off a little earlier (leave 5-10 minutes earlier so you make up that lateness) and you should be fine.
Joshua :biggrin:
Original post by hallamstudents
Hey.
It's pretty strange that they're marking lates down as total absences. What university do you go to?
If anyone questions your attendance, I would explain this part mostly -- that you're attending, but you're just late.
It doesn't make much sense to me, as attendance is, simply put, being present in the lecture or seminar. Why they'd decide to mark you as not present as a result is a silly policy. Maybe if you're an hour late to a seminar that's only an hour and thirty minutes, I would understand.

If you explain that, and maybe try to focus about setting off a little earlier (leave 5-10 minutes earlier so you make up that lateness) and you should be fine.

It's quite common that a 'late' swipe over a certain time (usually 20–30 minutes late or more) isn't recorded as 'present'.

I agree with you though: it's quite harsh.
If you're consistently late then start leaving earlier. I left a half hour earlier than I had to before all my lectures because I had to rely on trains that only run every 30 minutes and I lived 1.5hrs away from the uni. Sometimes I'd get there 45 minutes early but it was better than walking in late!
Original post by Reality Check
It's quite common that a 'late' swipe over a certain time (usually 20–30 minutes late or more) isn't recorded as 'present'.

I agree with you though: it's quite harsh.

Really? I live super far away so I’m also late as well to most of mine.
All i can advise is talk to them and explain

I had a 3 hour trip to my uni, and one of those deals where i'm already getting the earliest possible trains and need to rely on a few connections. In my first two weeks I just made a point of gathering the other students with the same commute, and quietly approaching lecturers at the end of classes and explaining our situation. Making it clear we were committed to the course and would do our best, but sometimes punctuality wasn't possible. This was luckily received with universal acceptance and we never had to worry about being 5-10 mins late again. (I'm in Scotland, where they absolutely yank your funding for attendance)
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by sinfonietta
If you're consistently late then start leaving earlier. I left a half hour earlier than I had to before all my lectures because I had to rely on trains that only run every 30 minutes and I lived 1.5hrs away from the uni. Sometimes I'd get there 45 minutes early but it was better than walking in late!

sinfonietta, that is so disciplined of you!! I wish I had that super ability of being punctual and managing my time. Super brilliant of you!!
Original post by ساره

Depends on the uni, but I'd check your regulations to ensure that a late swipe actually counts as being 'present'.
Original post by ساره

You're fine at your university, West London, because they record swipes as 'late', but attended nonetheless.

https://it.uwl.ac.uk/SAM%20Documents/SAM%20Flash%20User%20Guide.pdf
Original post by Reality Check
You're fine at your university, West London, because they record swipes as 'late', but attended nonetheless.

https://it.uwl.ac.uk/SAM%20Documents/SAM%20Flash%20User%20Guide.pdf

I totally don’t go to this uni..............
Original post by hallamstudents
Hey.

I go to NTU. Basically if I don't go in on time, that means the QR code for attendance is not up on the board anymore, or the register is taken away so I have no way to sign in for the day and it makes it seem I'm not here. Actually I spoke to them about this and they said I should come here earlier than the time they said I should, so I may have missed it by far tbh. Personally I think they should leave it on for 5 minutes after the starting time. Thanks though.
I think this rule must be different for every course. I do design but my friend does psychology and for some reason no one cares about social sciences and I think they just get a late. Lucky for them.
Original post by PhoenixFortune
If you are late, then that's on you I'm afraid. However, if you've been ill you should be able to provide evidence (a doctor's note or hospital admission paperwork). If you can't provide this evidence, then you need to speak to your personal tutor. They may let you off this time, but if it becomes a pattern, they will probably be less lenient next time.

I'm planning to go in very early for the last bit of this term just so they could see my improvement. I hope they will let me off and be more lenient about this cause it's my first term. Obviously if I carried on doing this after a warning I don't mind being kicked out I totally understand it. I just hope they will give me 1 warning at least since I just started this course. I am very worried :frown:
Depends on the unis attendance policy. Mine is really strict and anything less than 40% will get you a letter from the dean and you have to go to some panel or something. You are also only allowed to swipe in 15 minutes either side of the lecture/tutorial start time otherwise it isnt counted

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending