The Student Room Group

Second Degree - exemptions for SFE

Hi there,

I'm currently studying on a science access course, hoping to go to uni next year.

I already have a first degree, for which I had student finance funding (not paid off).

I would like to know how to see which courses are exemptions from the second degree rule. Is there an available list or a way to find out?

I have been informed that Dietetics is exempt as it's a HCPC course, and that is an area I'm looking at for study.

I would like to know if science degrees - Biochemistry / Human Biology / medical science (full time) are also exempt? I'm still looking at my options for what to study, but can't fund fees myself.

Is there any entitlement to maintenance loans too for second degrees?

Also, I have recently been diagnosed with a disability - would my previous study effect me applying for student disability support? I didn't have this for my first degree.

Thanks,

Mac
Original post by MAC27
Hi there,

I'm currently studying on a science access course, hoping to go to uni next year.

I already have a first degree, for which I had student finance funding (not paid off).

I would like to know how to see which courses are exemptions from the second degree rule. Is there an available list or a way to find out?

I have been informed that Dietetics is exempt as it's a HCPC course, and that is an area I'm looking at for study.

I would like to know if science degrees - Biochemistry / Human Biology / medical science (full time) are also exempt? I'm still looking at my options for what to study, but can't fund fees myself.

Is there any entitlement to maintenance loans too for second degrees?

Also, I have recently been diagnosed with a disability - would my previous study effect me applying for student disability support? I didn't have this for my first degree.

Thanks,

Mac

Hi Mac,

Dietetics is an exception course, this means you can apply for funding as a second degree. You would be eligible for a Maintenance Loan and Tuition Fee Loan.

The other courses you have mentioned aren't classed as exception course studied full time but may be eligible on a part time basis.

You would still be eligible to apply for Disabled Students Allowance for a new course.

Thanks, Erin
Reply 2
Original post by Erin SFE
Hi Mac,

Dietetics is an exception course, this means you can apply for funding as a second degree. You would be eligible for a Maintenance Loan and Tuition Fee Loan.

The other courses you have mentioned aren't classed as exception course studied full time but may be eligible on a part time basis.

You would still be eligible to apply for Disabled Students Allowance for a new course.

Thanks, Erin

Hi Erin,

Wow thank you! I was under the impression I wouldn't receive maintenance loand for a second degree, so this is great news!

Thanks so much!

Mac
Reply 3
Original post by Erin SFE
Hi Mac,

Thanks, Erin

Hi Erin,

Just wanted to ask whether the 4-year Dietetics courses are also applicable for a second degree loan?

For example:
Nutrition and Dietetics MNutr - University of Nottingham.

Thanks,

Mac
Original post by MAC27
Hi Erin,

Just wanted to ask whether the 4-year Dietetics courses are also applicable for a second degree loan?

For example:
Nutrition and Dietetics MNutr - University of Nottingham.

Thanks,

Mac

Hi MAC27, if this is the "Nutrition and Dietetics (4yr)" integrated masters course then this is an Allied Health Professional course and therefore exempt from previous study and you should be able to receive funding for a second degree.
Thanks, Isaac.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending