The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University Official 2020 Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ghostlady
Hi Charlotte it is for 2nd/3rd and 4th year. We loved Lancaster uni but didnt get chance to see Lancaster city; and we wont get chance to see it next week as we have to leave straight after interview back, so any feedback on Lancaster city centre would be appreciated. Good/Bad areas, best/cheap places to shop/eat, things to do in the area :smile:

Definitely ask some students when you get here for your interview as they might have different opinions on places they've lived! In general, all students live south of the river and commute to campus (takes about 15 minutes to get onto campus), and during term time the buses are in general pretty regular. There's a Sainsbury's in town but there's also a Lidl and soon a new Aldi. There's lots of independent pubs and restaurants and cafes which I think are an asset of the town (okay.. there's no Nando's but there's lots of places to make up for it!). Manchester is 50 minutes away, Preston is 15 minutes away, the Lake District and Yorkshire Dales about 30-60 minutes away. Edinburgh and Glasgow and Birmingham can be reached within 2 hours. Obviously in the town you can go to Williamson Park, the cinema, an event going on at campus or in town (ice skating rink, light up Lancaster, the music festival), or catch the bus to Morecambe to visit the sea!
Hope that's helpful and let me know if you have anymore questions!
Charlotte :smile:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by laussss
Hey, I got that too but for MSc in biochemistry!! (predicted A*A*A). I am going to the interview, I think we have to? They sent me an email saying I am edible but they need to interview? Lancaster is my second choice if I don't get into Oxford. Im so scared for the interview, I'm so bad at interviews.

Hello,
Only some courses interview at the moment. I've worked some interview days for the Biological and Life Sciences department (which biochemistry is under). Please don't worry about the interview! It's likely that a lecturer and a student ambassador will ask you simple questions about why you want to study here/the course. It's more an opportunity for you to come and see the university (and hopefully fall in love with it!). It's not as rigorous as other university interviews and you should still maintain your original offer if you don't get the unconditional (which I'm sure you will!).
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
Original post by STEM.lover
Hi all!

This is for anyone applying to Lancaster 2020.

To start this off:

What course are you applying for?:
What subjects are you currently studying?:
Predicted A level grades:
GCSE grades:
What other universities are you applying to?:
Why Lancaster?:
What have you done strengthen your application (extracurriculars)?:

@Puddles the Monkey

What course are you applying for?: German Studies and Politics
What subjects are you currently studying?: (IB Highers) German, Global Politics and English Lit
Predicted A level grades: (IB so) 39; 666H
GCSE grades: 8,8,7,7,7,7,7,6,6,5
What other universities are you applying to?: Warwick, Bath, Exeter, Birmingham
Why Lancaster?: I loved the community spirit when I visited and the lecture theatres and teaching style. Colleges are amazing and accommodation is incredible!
What have you done strengthen your application (extracurriculars)?: Ran language mentoring sessions for a year, visited Parliament for a lobby, work experience at Lloyds Bank in Group Corporate and Public Affairs.

:smile:
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Definitely ask some students when you get here for your interview as they might have different opinions on places they've lived! In general, all students live south of the river and commute to campus (takes about 15 minutes to get onto campus), and during term time the buses are in general pretty regular. There's a Sainsbury's in town but there's also a Lidl and soon a new Aldi. There's lots of independent pubs and restaurants and cafes which I think are an asset of the town (okay.. there's no Nando's but there's lots of places to make up for it!). Manchester is 50 minutes away, Preston is 15 minutes away, the Lake District and Yorkshire Dales about 30-60 minutes away. Edinburgh and Glasgow and Birmingham can be reached within 2 hours. Obviously in the town you can go to Williamson Park, the cinema, an event going on at campus or in town (ice skating rink, light up Lancaster, the music festival), or catch the bus to Morecambe to visit the sea!
Hope that's helpful and let me know if you have anymore questions!

Thank Charlotte :smile:
What course are you applying for?: Maths / G100
What subjects are you currently studying?: Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry
Predicted A level grades: A* A* A/B
GCSE grades:not very good
What other universities are you applying to?:Manchester and Bradford, but not for Maths
Why Lancaster?: best university that I can commute to
What have you done strengthen your application (extracurriculars)?: ran a maths club at my old primary school
Course: Accounting and Management (Industry)
Predicted A level grades: AAA
GCSE grades: 8776665BC
What other universities are you applying to?: Loughborough, Sheffield, Reading & UEA
(edited 4 years ago)
Course: Medicine
Predicted A Level Grades: A*A*A*
GCSE Grades: 999999887A
Other unis: Cambridge, Manchester, Aston and Warwick for maths
Received an offer for BA Geography today, AAB or ABB if I make it first choice!
Original post by LuluLottie
Received an offer for BA Geography today, AAB or ABB if I make it first choice!

Woooo! Congratulations!
Let me know if you have any questions.
Just got an offer to do history and politics, unconditional if I firm it (which I definitely will be doing ☺️☺️)
Original post by spinebreaker
Just got an offer to do history and politics, unconditional if I firm it (which I definitely will be doing ☺️☺️)

Yay congrats!
Can't wait for you to join us next year!
Let me know if you have any questions in the meantime.
Have to thank the Uni yesterday for the interview day for my daughter for physics, particle physics and cosmology. It was very well planned and loved the guy Peter who gave a talk on history of the uni too, and they put on a lovely buffet :smile: Learned there 140 places last year for physics and physics + (astro/comology/theorectical) and yesterday was a nice group of about 20 applicants, so there should be plenty more interview days to come in the future i imagine. So, good luck to anyone who has applied, you will enjoy the day :smile:
What course are you applying for?: Law.
What subjects are you currently studying?: Sociology, English Lit&Lang and Law.
Predicted A level grades: A*AC.
What other universities are you applying to?: Keele, Nottingham Trent, Lincoln and NUIG.
Why Lancaster?: even though I knew it was a far flung decision to look at a uni with high entry requirements...etc. I thought i'd chance my arm and visit an open day. Lancaster as a location is different to where I'm from so I liked the change of environment and the uni open day impressed me compared to all of the other open days I went to.
What have you done strengthen your application (extracurriculars)?: work experience at Dentons and Jacksons Frameworks. I also participated in DofE, an EPQ and I've taken up the task of peer mentoring.
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Yay congrats!
Can't wait for you to join us next year!
Let me know if you have any questions in the meantime.

Thank you so much! Love your YouTube channel btw :smile:
Original post by spinebreaker
Thank you so much! Love your YouTube channel btw :smile:

omg :redface: thank you!! :h:
Original post by STEM.lover
Hi all!

This is for anyone applying to Lancaster 2020.

To start this off:

What course are you applying for?:
What subjects are you currently studying?:
Predicted A level grades:
GCSE grades:
What other universities are you applying to?:
Why Lancaster?:
What have you done strengthen your application (extracurriculars)?:

@Puddles the Monkey

I am applying for English Literature, and am currently studying Lit (obviously), Religious Studies, and Classical Civ. My predicted grades are A*AA and my GCSE grades were five 9s, two 8s, two 7s and a 6. The other unis I am applying for are Leeds, York, Nottingham, and Newcastle but Lancaster is my favourite as when I visited I fell in love with the campus and the course. My application was sent in about two weeks ago and was literally just based on extra reading I have done outside of class. T'was successful though lmao so I don't think it really needs loads of fancy extracurriculars on it.
Hopefully see you all next year aha
Have to thank the Uni yesterday for the interview day for my daughter for physics, particle physics and cosmology. It was very well planned and loved the guy Peter who gave a talk on history of the uni too, and they put on a lovely buffet :smile: Learned there 140 places last year for physics and physics + (astro/comology/theorectical) and yesterday was a nice group of about 20 applicants, so there should be plenty more interview days to come in the future i imagine. So, good luck to anyone who has applied, you will enjoy the day :smile:

Update: Unconditional from Lancaster for Physics Particle Physics Cosmology / Physics Astronomy and Cosmology :smile: :groovy::clap2:
Reply 77
I have a question for Lancaster current students. Re accommodation. looking on the Lancaster university homes website, they seem to be in the city, or on the A6 bus route towards Scotforth. Its at this time next year when freshers start thinking about getting a place to rent. If your more closer to the uni, is it harder catching the bus to uni as its more full and possibility of not stopping? Its just something ive read on a forum and wondered if thats true.

The closer you live to the uni, the less likely you are to get a seat. I've only known a bus to not stop once and that was on welcome week. The buses are every 5-10 minutes so you wouldn't find it a problem to get to uni on time.
What course are you applying for?: Spanish and Chinese
What subjects are you currently studying?: English lit, Spanish and Sociology
Predicted A level grades: AAA
GCSE grades: B877666664
What other universities are you applying to?: Warwick, Leeds, Bangor and Birmingham
Why Lancaster?: Loved the community feel and the collages
What have you done strengthen your application (extracurriculars)?: HSK1 Chinese, DofE, charity rep and School community team

@Puddles the Monkey
I got an offer for French and Spanish today! If I firm it, my offer gets lowered to 3 B's, which I will definitely be doing!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending