The Student Room Group

First term for particular solution of series solution of inhomogenous DE

I am solving a differential equation:
x*y''(x)+(x+1)*y'(x)+x*y(x) = x^2+1
Firstly,I tried to find the complementary solution.
Using Frobenius' method and expanding around x=0,
the first solution is
1-(1/4)*x^2+(1/18)*x^3+(1/192)*x^4-(11/3600)*x^5+(29/103680)*x^6+O(x^7)
the second solution is
ln(x)*(1-(1/4)*x^2+(1/18)*x^3+(1/192)*x^4-(11/3600)*x^5+(29/103680)*x^6+O(x^7))-x+(1/2)*x^2-(1/108)*x^3-(41/1152)*x^4+(1529/216000)*x^5-(1/345600)*x^6+O(x^7)
Since the indicial equation has repeated solutions,both equals to zero.
After that,I tried to find the particular solution.
I assumed the particular solution has the form of a series,
y=c0+c1(x)+c2(x^2)+O(x^3)
and tried to compare the coefficients.
Although I obtained the particular solution
x*(1-(1/4)*x+(1/18)*x^2+(1/192)*x^3-(11/3600)*x^4+(29/103680)*x^5+O(x^6))
,which is correct after checking using Maple,but I assumed c0=0 to obtain this solution,but why?
And also,when finding P(x) in y2=y1(ln x)+P(x)(after substituting the solution of indicial equation)
,I also had to assume that the term without the unknown is 0,is it because the indicial equation has repeated roots?
Sorry for my bad English and my ignorance since I am self-studying in this topic.
By the way,I am self-studying based on this book:
(Undergraduate Lecture Notes in Physics) Lev Kantorovich - Mathematics for Natural Scientists_ Fundamentals and Basics-Springer (2015)
Thanks.
(edited 4 years ago)
I doubt many people are going to read this because it looks absolutely horrendous typed out! Can you perhaps upload a picture of it instead?
Reply 2
Original post by Y12_FurtherMaths
I doubt many people are going to read this because it looks absolutely horrendous typed out! Can you perhaps upload a picture of it instead?

OK...
The complete solution ,y=c0(y1)+c1(y2)+yp
Reply 3

Is it OK? Or you need additional information?
Original post by Baal Hadad
Is it OK? Or you need additional information?

I'm afraid I'm unable to help you with this. Is this university maths?
Reply 5
I'm afraid I'm unable to help you with this. Is this university maths?

I don't know,I am self studying for this and I still don't have a uni degree.But I think series solution is not covered in A Level syllabus.
I don't know,I am self studying for this and I still don't have a uni degree.But I think series solution is not covered in A Level syllabus.

It doesn't seem like people will be able to help you im afraid
Reply 7
It doesn't seem like people will be able to help you im afraid

Never mind,nobody is obligated to help me here.Thanks.By the way,in my previous reply,I mean that I am not entering uni yet.
(edited 4 years ago)
I am solving a differential equation:
x*y''(x)+(x+1)*y'(x)+x*y(x) = x^2+1
Firstly,I tried to find the complementary solution.
Using Frobenius' method and expanding around x=0,
the first solution is
1-(1/4)*x^2+(1/18)*x^3+(1/192)*x^4-(11/3600)*x^5+(29/103680)*x^6+O(x^7)
the second solution is
ln(x)*(1-(1/4)*x^2+(1/18)*x^3+(1/192)*x^4-(11/3600)*x^5+(29/103680)*x^6+O(x^7))-x+(1/2)*x^2-(1/108)*x^3-(41/1152)*x^4+(1529/216000)*x^5-(1/345600)*x^6+O(x^7)
Since the indicial equation has repeated solutions,both equals to zero.
After that,I tried to find the particular solution.
I assumed the particular solution has the form of a series,
y=c0+c1(x)+c2(x^2)+O(x^3)
and tried to compare the coefficients.
Although I obtained the particular solution
x*(1-(1/4)*x+(1/18)*x^2+(1/192)*x^3-(11/3600)*x^4+(29/103680)*x^5+O(x^6))
,which is correct after checking using Maple,but I assumed c0=0 to obtain this solution,but why?
And also,when finding P(x) in y2=y1(ln x)+P(x)(after substituting the solution of indicial equation)
,I also had to assume that the term without the unknown is 0,is it because the indicial equation has repeated roots?
Sorry for my bad English and my ignorance since I am self-studying in this topic.
By the way,I am self-studying based on this book:
(Undergraduate Lecture Notes in Physics) Lev Kantorovich - Mathematics for Natural Scientists_ Fundamentals and Basics-Springer (2015)
Thanks.

This is university maths. It goes deep into the theory of Linear Differential Equations.

So to answer your question, I'll run you down the problem quickly.

Firstly, you put the ODE into canonical form

y+x+1xy+y=x2+1xy'' + \dfrac{x+1}{x}y' + y = \dfrac{x^2+1}{x}.

It is clear that x=0x=0 is a regular singular point, therefore Method of Frobenius is the way to go.

Solving the homogeneous case, you found the solution

y1=n=0anxn=114x2+118x3+1192x4113600x5+O(x6)y_1 = \displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n x^n = 1-\dfrac{1}{4}x^2+\dfrac{1}{18}x^3 + \dfrac{1}{192}x^4 - \dfrac{11}{3600}x^5+O(x^6).

The second solution, because the roots repeat, is

y2=y1lnx+n=0bnxny_2 = y_1\ln x + \displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} b_nx^n.

If you substitute this into the homogeneous case and compare coefficients, the first two comparisons would yield you

b1=1b_1 = -1 .... (from comparing coefficients of x1x^{-1})

and

4b22+b0=04b_2 - 2 + b_0 = 0 (*) .... (from comparing coefficients of x0x^0)

Any further comparisons will not isolate b0b_0 for you, in fact none of them will add on any extra restrictions on it. So in fact, you can choose it arbitrarily as long as equation (*) holds. Of course, whenever we say arbitrarily, we usually mean try to choose something that makes the problem simple. So of course, we can just choose b0=0b_0 = 0. This implies b2=12b_2 = \dfrac{1}{2}, and so all of our bnb_n are now fully defined.

Same approach applies to when you try a particular solution

yP=n=0cnxny_P = \displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} c_n x^n.

You run into the issue of having no restriction on c0c_0 but you want your yPy_P to be defined, so just choose it to be zero.

Hence you obtain the solution that Maple is throwing at you

y(x)=Ay1+By2+yPy(x) = Ay_1 + By_2 + y_P.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by RDKGames
This is university maths. It goes deep into the theory of Linear Differential Equations.

So to answer your question, I'll run you down the problem quickly.

Firstly, you put the ODE into canonical form

y+x+1xy+y=x2+1xy'' + \dfrac{x+1}{x}y' + y = \dfrac{x^2+1}{x}.

It is clear that x=0x=0 is a regular singular point, therefore Method of Frobenius is the way to go.

Solving the homogeneous case, you found the solution

y1=n=0anxn=114x2+118x3+1192x4113600x5+O(x6)y_1 = \displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n x^n = 1-\dfrac{1}{4}x^2+\dfrac{1}{18}x^3 + \dfrac{1}{192}x^4 - \dfrac{11}{3600}x^5+O(x^6).

The second solution, because the roots repeat, is

y2=y1lnx+n=0bnxny_2 = y_1\ln x + \displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} b_nx^n.

If you substitute this into the homogeneous case and compare coefficients, the first two comparisons would yield you

and

4b22+b0=04b_2 - 2 + b_0 = 0 (*) .... (from comparing coefficients of x0x^0)

Any further comparisons will not isolate b0b_0 for you, in fact none of them will add on any extra restrictions on it. So in fact, you can choose it arbitrarily as long as equation (*) holds. Of course, whenever we say arbitrarily, we usually mean try to choose something that makes the problem simple. So of course, we can just choose b0=0b_0 = 0. This implies b2=12b_2 = \dfrac{1}{2}, and so all of our bnb_n are now fully defined.

Same approach applies to when you try a particular solution

yP=n=0cnxny_P = \displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} c_n x^n.

You run into the issue of having no restriction on c0c_0 but you want your yPy_P to be defined, so just choose it to be zero.

Hence you obtain the solution that Maple is throwing at you

y(x)=Ay1+By2+yPy(x) = Ay_1 + By_2 + y_P.

Well,do you mean that both the terms can be arbitrarily chosen,so 0 is chosen to make the calculation more easier? If we choose another number other than zero,does the resulted series is just the series using 0 plus multiple of y1?
Reply 10

And forgive me,is this x1x^{1} instead of x1x^{-1} ?
Well,do you mean that both the terms can be arbitrarily chosen,so 0 is chosen to make the calculation more easier? If we choose another number other than zero,does the resulted series is just the series using 0 plus multiple of y1?

In the series n=0bnxn\displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} b_nx^n you find that b1=1b_1 = -1 but b2b_2 ultimately depends on what b0b_0 is. In fact, every bnb_n for n2n \geq 2 depends on what b0b_0 is. Once you set that, every other coefficient gets fixed in place.

This coefficient is an arbitrary choice for us, because we have no restriction for it. Any suitable value of it will yield every other bnb_n value and hence give us a solution for y2y_2. If that makes sense to you, then the next step for you to understand is that b0=0b_0 = 0 is the simplest case for us pick, so just do that.

If you pick a non-zero value then you're going to get the same sum but expressed differently.

You do the same thing when you determine the solution for y1=n=0anxny_1 = \displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n x^n. You had the choice of picking arbitrary a0a_0 but you picked a0=1a_0 = 1 since the obtained recurrence relation must satisfy

an=(1n)an1an2n2a_n = \dfrac{(1-n)a_{n-1} - a_{n-2}}{n^2}

so a1=0a_1 = 0 (from comparing x1x^{-1} terms) and a2=a04a_2 = -\dfrac{a_0}{4}. Similarly, a3a_3 depends on a0a_0, and so on. You fixed a0=1a_0 = 1 and obtained all the coefficients you see in y1y_1.

And forgive me,is this x1x^{1} instead of x1x^{-1} ?

No. Once you substitute in a series into this particular ODE, you should notice that we always begin with x1x^{-1}, then we have the x0x^0 (constant) terms, and then x1x^1, and so on... but for my explanation I'm only considering x1x^{-1} and x0x^0.

The x1x^{-1} coefficients turn out to be a1a_1 (when you substitute in y1y_1) and b1+1b_1 + 1 (when you substitute in y2y_2) which yields us a1=0a_1 = 0 and b1=1b_1 = -1. But once again I stress the fact that we have no restrictions on a0,b0a_0, b_0 hence we choose them arbitrarily so we just pick a0=1a_0 = 1 and b0=0b_0 = 0.

I say they're arbitrary, for you shouldn't (for instance) pick a0=0a_0 = 0 because then the entire series for y1y_1 is just zero -- a trivial solution.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12
In the series n=0bnxn\displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} b_nx^n you find that b1=1b_1 = -1 but b2b_2 ultimately depends on what b0b_0 is. In fact, every bnb_n for n2n \geq 2 depends on what b0b_0 is. Once you set that, every other coefficient gets fixed in place.

This coefficient is an arbitrary choice for us, because we have no restriction for it. Any suitable value of it will yield every other bnb_n value and hence give us a solution for y2y_2. If that makes sense to you, then the next step for you to understand is that b0=0b_0 = 0 is the simplest case for us pick, so just do that.

If you pick a non-zero value then you're going to get the same sum but expressed differently.

You do the same thing when you determine the solution for y1=n=0anxny_1 = \displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n x^n. You had the choice of picking arbitrary a0a_0 but you picked a0=1a_0 = 1 since the obtained recurrence relation must satisfy

an=(1n)an1an2n2a_n = \dfrac{(1-n)a_{n-1} - a_{n-2}}{n^2}

so a1=0a_1 = 0 (from comparing x1x^{-1} terms) and a2=a04a_2 = -\dfrac{a_0}{4}. Similarly, a3a_3 depends on a0a_0, and so on. You fixed a0=1a_0 = 1 and obtained all the coefficients you see in y1y_1.

No. Once you substitute in a series into this particular ODE, you should notice that we always begin with x1x^{-1}, then we have the x0x^0 (constant) terms, and then x1x^1, and so on... but for my explanation I'm only considering x1x^{-1} and x0x^0.

The x1x^{-1} coefficients turn out to be a1a_1 (when you substitute in y1y_1) and b1+1b_1 + 1 (when you substitute in y2y_2) which yields us a1=0a_1 = 0 and b1=1b_1 = -1. But once again I stress the fact that we have no restrictions on a0,b0a_0, b_0 hence we choose them arbitrarily so we just pick a0=1a_0 = 1 and b0=0b_0 = 0.

I say they're arbitrary, for you shouldn't (for instance) pick a0=0a_0 = 0 because then the entire series for y1y_1 is just zero -- a trivial solution.

Yes,just like what you had said,during my calculations I found that b1 is determined and b2 depends on b0.OK,after your explainations I accepted the choice of choosing zero.

Well,I think you use x^(-1) and I use x^(0) because you substituted the series to the canonical form of the equation but I substituted it to the original equation in the first post.Am I right?
Well,I think you use x^(-1) and I use x^(0) because you substituted the series to the canonical form of the equation but I substituted it to the original equation in the first post.Am I right?

Yep.
Reply 14
Yep.

Your explanation helps me a lot,since I can't ask my friends and teachers (I am graduated from high school)Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest