The Student Room Group

people who act like they know it all

Scroll to see replies

Doesn't annoy me. It pushes me to work harder tbh
Original post by The Mogg
Oh boy, how dare they read beforehand! Bloody scoundrels.

The post wasn't about that. It's not about resenting people for reading up beforehand. It's about people who do this reading up so as they can come across like they already know everything in the lecture/seminar, instead of listening to the lecturer who is there to give us valuable knowledge and pointers. The post was just about that causing irritation to others in a class.
Ok well that’s nice. But this post is about people who flaunt there knowledge excessively. I’ve been in classes that have been ruined by the odd individual trying to engage in over complex topics which make the class less accessible to everyone. If they wish to engage in such discussions they should do so in their on time and respect the different levels of people.
Original post by anonymous9748
who else hates when people pre-read before learning a topic in class. and then act like they know everything in class .. just me lol ?

There's this girl in biology and she acts like she knows it all. It's quite annoying for us and I can see that my teacher is quite annoyed with her as well. She does pre-reading for work that is like 2 weeks ahead. I don't want to hate but .. She gets below average on her tests , keeps on putting her hand up for every single thing we go over and i feel like she intentionally acts stupid and she reminds the teacher about homework essays etc. She is a really nice person .. It doesn't really matter now - we don't have much time left in school anyway.
I think you’ve missed the point.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 65
I do pre reading so I’m already familiar with the content in the lessons.
Reading ahead makes it much easier to follower what you're presented and allows you to think about it on a deeper level. Reading ahead is good.

I get it though that it can be a bit cringey when someone pipes up every few minutes trying to anticipate what the teacher/lecturer is going to say, but at least when that happens the lecturer often divulges additional info that is either a bit tangential to the topic or offers deeper insight. In both instances it is beneficial to your learning, so even if that one person is a bit annoying... well, they're still probably bettering your own learning, too.
Original post by JakeTSR
Ok well that’s nice. But this post is about people who flaunt there knowledge excessively. I’ve been in classes that have been ruined by the odd individual trying to engage in over complex topics which make the class less accessible to everyone. If they wish to engage in such discussions they should do so in their on time and respect the different levels of people.

Yes, I think you've got a good point here, actually. I can think of lectures where an individual was actually more interested in 'showing off' his knowledge to the lecturer than genuinely trying to understand material that was being presented to him. This took up time, took the lecturer off topic and generally disrupted the flow of the lecture.
It's slightly selfish and arrogant. If a student wants to show off his extra reading to a lecturer that's fine: just do it by email, or in person rather than derail a lecture to 80+ students.
Beat them to it. Read above your level and question them on something they will not know. Embarrass them. Works everytime.

(You may get in trouble.)
Original post by safia.2002
There's this girl in biology and she acts like she knows it all. It's quite annoying for us and I can see that my teacher is quite annoyed with her as well. She does pre-reading for work that is like 2 weeks ahead. I don't want to hate but .. She gets below average on her tests , keeps on putting her hand up for every single thing we go over and i feel like she intentionally acts stupid and she reminds the teacher about homework essays etc. She is a really nice person .. It doesn't really matter now - we don't have much time left in school anyway.

Wow has she been bullied at all?
Original post by Paul1990s
Wow has she been bullied at all?

No. She is quite popular and liked.
Original post by safia.2002
No. She is quite popular and liked.

Interesting...I suppose some people can pull off being teacher's pet and still be liked!
Original post by Paul1990s
Interesting...I suppose some people can pull off being teacher's pet and still be liked!

Actually she is far from being the teachers pet. I can see the frustration on my teachers face whenever she asks a stupid question on something we covered a few seconds ago.

Quick Reply

Latest