The Student Room Group

how to paraphrase

I am doing an access to midwifery course and it asks this question.

You are required to write two examples of each of the following using the text in the article provided (see assessor guidance section below to download the article).
Paraphrase
Quotation

You must ensure that the meaning of the original text is conveyed/summarised when paraphrasing. Quotation examples must be presented in the appropriate manner.

Anyone have any suggestions how to do this, its been a long time since i have been in education and im not sure what I am being asked to do here.
Original post by Bubbleuk
I am doing an access to midwifery course and it asks this question.

You are required to write two examples of each of the following using the text in the article provided (see assessor guidance section below to download the article).
Paraphrase
Quotation

You must ensure that the meaning of the original text is conveyed/summarised when paraphrasing. Quotation examples must be presented in the appropriate manner.

Anyone have any suggestions how to do this, its been a long time since i have been in education and im not sure what I am being asked to do here.

Paraphrasing is literally just taking the text and saying it in a different way. The meaning should be the same - you shouldn't remove or add anything. It's useful sometimes to make bullet points of the key points so that you can then put them into your own words.
Reply 2
Original post by Charlotte's Web
Paraphrasing is literally just taking the text and saying it in a different way. The meaning should be the same - you shouldn't remove or add anything. It's useful sometimes to make bullet points of the key points so that you can then put them into your own words.

what does it mean by quotation?
what does it mean by quotation?

A quotation is an exact copy of a small snippet of the text.
Reply 4

so for the quotation, i take a pragraph and copy it , then re-write it in my own words, then use a small snipet of it and write it exactly the same as the text, is that write ?
so for the quotation, i take a pragraph and copy it , then re-write it in my own words, then use a small snipet of it and write it exactly the same as the text, is that write ?

No. The quotation is a totally separate thing from the paraphrasing.

A quotation is a directly copied (i.e. word for word) small section of text.

Paraphrasing is a reworded piece of text.
Reply 6
did you manage to figure this out? currently stuck on the same thing
Original post by rach8412
did you manage to figure this out? currently stuck on the same thing

Posts #2, #4 and #6 have explained how to paraphrase and what quotations are :smile:
hi i am on the same assignment do you have any suggestions.
Reply 9
albert jones (1911) argues that hippopotamuses are small flightless birds. your using his concept in your words
albert jones (1911) " we watched two hippopotamuses nest building and preening their feathers under the bush" your directly copying the authors words this must in both cases be acknowledged and referenced

do you need to paraphrase before you do the quotation and say:
according to Mohan R (2012), he believes "........................."
Original post by cherryhitchkins
do you need to paraphrase before you do the quotation and say:
according to Mohan R (2012), he believes "........................."

If you’ve paraphrased it and referenced appropriately why would you then quote something?

its usually much better in nursing assignments to paraphrase rather than directly quote. It shows you’ve read something, understood it and been able to put it in your own words.
Original post by moonkatt
If you’ve paraphrased it and referenced appropriately why would you then quote something?

its usually much better in nursing assignments to paraphrase rather than directly quote. It shows you’ve read something, understood it and been able to put it in your own words.

so with quotation, do i just say
Mohan R believes ".........."

Something that is like the author is trying to say and the quote?
so with quotation, do i just say
Mohan R believes ".........."

Something that is like the author is trying to say and the quote?

If you are putting it into your own words you do not need to use quotations.

For example, if I had written in an article: "Never eat yellow snow" - this would be the direct quotation.

You could paraphrase this: Moonkatt (2022), suggests that yellow snow should not be eaten. - you don't need to put this in quotation marks, its in your own words but you need to credit the initial author (me in this fictitious example) using whichever referencing style your university says you should use.
(edited 1 year ago)
If you are putting it into your own words you do not need to use quotations.

For example, if I had written in an article: "Never eat yellow snow" - this would be the direct quotation.

You could paraphrase this: Moonkatt (2022), suggests that yellow snow should not be eaten. - you don't need to put this in quotation marks, its in your own words but you need to credit the initial author (me in this fictitious example) using whichever referencing style your university says you should use.

oh
I literally copied and pasted the text and added quotation marks and put (Mohan, R.2012) in the end
Did I do it wrong then?
(edited 1 year ago)
oh
I literally copied and pasted the text and added quotation marks and put (Mohan, R.2012) in the end
Did I do it wrong then?

That’s not wrong, but all you’ve done is quoted rather than paraphrased.
That’s not wrong, but all you’ve done is quoted rather than paraphrased.

I am talking about quotation. I was told to give two examples of quotation using an article given. i copied and pasted the text, put quotation marks to it and then added Mohan, R (2012)

With paraphrasing, i summaried the text in my own words and put Mohan, R (2012) in the end

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending