The Student Room Group

McDonalds staff strike for £15p/h + guaranteed hours

Scroll to see replies

it makes me sad seeing people complain mcdonalds workers are asking for the living wage, and saying they don't deserve it, purely because they got paid less. Don't you want to see other people make money? you can ask for the living wage too. It doesnt affect you if mcdonalds people are payed more, except honestly theyll probably give you better customer service because theyre happier and can actually feed their families lol. mcdonalds workers arent campaigning for £15 an hour because they think theyre better than you, its because they want to be able to afford to live, and you deserve that right too, instead of fighting them why not join them and try and get £15 an hour too? youre helping no one by complaining
Reply 21
Original post by foldingdeckchair
it makes me sad seeing people complain mcdonalds workers are asking for the living wage, and saying they don't deserve it, purely because they got paid less. Don't you want to see other people make money? you can ask for the living wage too. It doesnt affect you if mcdonalds people are payed more, except honestly theyll probably give you better customer service because theyre happier and can actually feed their families lol. mcdonalds workers arent campaigning for £15 an hour because they think theyre better than you, its because they want to be able to afford to live, and you deserve that right too, instead of fighting them why not join them and try and get £15 an hour too? youre helping no one by complaining

- The living wage is £9.30, not £15.

- The whole point of them "not deserving" it, as you put it but no one else has, is because there are other jobs which require more skills and/or have fewer applicants or able people to do it and/or are simply harder that should be paid more than working at McDonalds which, while busy, doesn't require qualifications and is in high demand from applicants. It's about knowing your worth.

- Wage doesn't equate to giving good customer service. Anyone making that connection should quit, because they're not good at their job with that approach.

- No one said they're campaigning for more because they think they're better than us.

- Those earning £9.47 p/h/ already earn more than other similar jobs, more than minimum wage and in fact are earning more than the living wage (see above).

- No one else can "join them" because... we don't work there... so I don't think McDonalds will notice us striking...

- If it helps no one to complain, why are they on strike then?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Let's be fair, while working there is a low skilled job, it's hard work and you have to deal with absolutely dreadful customers daily. Like f*** would I work there for £10 an hour. Plus it's a huge global chain making humongous profits, they can easily afford it.

Many of them are single owner franchises. They can't afford it.
Like that's ever gonna happen. An increase of getting up to 60% is ludicrous.
Reply 24
Original post by ozzyoscy
https://metro.co.uk/2019/11/11/im-joining-the-mcdonalds-strike-to-show-my-son-we-deserve-better-than-poverty-11071395/

Guaranteed hours - sure.

But £15 p/h? The worker in the article feels "trapped" at getting £9.47 p/h, which is already more than the going rate for baristas, entry-level retail etc.

Don't McDonalds etc. get tonnes of applicants too? I'm all for it if every other job gets a fair wage bump to reflect their comparitive staff turnover and skills required.

if she claims that she can barley afford to keep her family afloat, how will she be able to afford a strike? and it is highly likely that most participants will also not have the funds to strike
Lmao I was in Manchester today and there were loads of people protesting outside the Oxford Road store. Barely anyone signed their sheet 🤐
Support industrial action unconditionally.
Original post by foldingdeckchair

You know £15ph on 40hour weeks equates to over £30,000 a year? If individuals working in Mcdonalds start commanding £30k+ then graduates at City law firms and Investment banks will not even turn up to work for less than £200k.

More importantly, currently junior doctors earn £28,000 - why would they even bother going to medical school for 5 years?

The whole strike is ridiculous, they are already earning over minimum wage.
Absolutely agree with no zero hour contracts, better working conditions and better treatment of staff in general but £15 an hour is ridiculous

I've only ever worked in minimum wage jobs and whilst management have generally been awful, I always agreed that minimum wage or thereabouts was a suitable amount to be paid for unskilled work. Yeah, customers are horrendous but you get that in every line of work.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by bones-mccoy
Absolutely agree with no zero hour contracts, better working conditions and better treatment of staff in general but £15 an hour is ridiculous

Unfortunately, when you strike over meaningful things but include a completely drastic and moronic reason too the whole strike is invalidated as everyone focuses on the drastic issue.

Most of the workers reasons for striking will be overlooked due to a completely ridiculous demand. I dont think getting rid of zero-hour contracts is actually going to be much use either - unless you make them illegal. The issue is two-fold if you force a company to take on workers for contracted hours then they will 1) reduce the size of their workforce 2) Have more people working shorter hours to avoid breaks being paid.
https://metro.co.uk/2019/11/11/im-joining-the-mcdonalds-strike-to-show-my-son-we-deserve-better-than-poverty-11071395/

Guaranteed hours - sure.

But £15 p/h? The worker in the article feels "trapped" at getting £9.47 p/h, which is already more than the going rate for baristas, entry-level retail etc.

Don't McDonalds etc. get tonnes of applicants too? I'm all for it if every other job gets a fair wage bump to reflect their comparitive staff turnover and skills required.

I presume they're going high so they can be negotiated down to the real figure they want, but it's not getting much sympathy.

It's a job. If you feel the need to take the piss out of people who work for a living, then you've got issues the rest of the world aren't interested in.

Bet you'd tell someone to "get a job" if they were unemployed.

Yep. It's people who judge certain jobs that discourage people from employment because of shame. Adding to unemployment. So massive respect to people who do what they gotta do in a legal way.

That being said. The issue isn't wage. It's hours. Wage adds up. If you get consistent part time or full time hours then you're fine. This allows people to get two jobs as well if they are part time, to make up for low wage, if they know their schedule. But these managers take the ****ing piss. They schedule you all over the clock. So you might say, briefen your availability. Well that makes you undesirable to hire. They barely pay you but expect you to have one job since they control your clock.

It's understandable to not get full time in a highly populated place and a highly competitive company that hires a lot of people, to accommodate the population and building size. So your best bet in retail and food service is stable, fixed part time hours with a decent wage. So that they can get a second job which also hypothetically speaking would have stable, fixed hours and a decent wage.

Asking for high wage is stupid. They are uneducated and don't know what to ask for. These companies will circumvent high wage by in turn giving low hours to everyone in a vast workplace. So you've got your 15 quid an HOUR...but you've got NO or RANDOM HOURS. DUMB ARSE.
Original post by bones-mccoy
Yeah, customers are horrendous but you get that in every line of work.

Even in jobs that involve zero contact with customers or the public?

I have never done a public facing job for this very reason.
(edited 4 years ago)
I'm all for it if every other job gets a fair wage bump to reflect their comparitive staff turnover and skills required.

Which is why they should unionise and learn from those Macdonald's workers.

How else do you think "none skilled" workers increase thier wage?

- The whole point of them "not deserving" it, as you put it but no one else has, is because there are other jobs which require more skills and/or have fewer applicants or able people to do it and/or are simply harder that should be paid more than working at McDonalds which, while busy, doesn't require qualifications and is in high demand from applicants. It's about knowing your worth.

- No one else can "join them" because... we don't work there... so I don't think McDonalds will notice us striking...

That isn't how it the labour market works. There are loads of jobs that are easier and more furfilling than a lot of low paid work which pay a lot more. There is little natural justice involved in economic distribution. "Knowing your worth" is just pychological class struggle that is meant to pacify workers. You are "worth" whatever you can get away with. If these workers increase thier leverage and bargining power by organising they increase the value of thier labour.

You can have solidaraity strikes where workers in the same sector or totally different areas go on strike as well. The ultimate version of this is a general strike. You don't even need to have labour that can be withdrawn, anyone can do stuff like block a road.
Reply 34
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Which is why they should unionise and learn from those Macdonald's workers.

How else do you think "none skilled" workers increase thier wage?

They do well enough to get a promotion or move to a job with a higher wage.

That isn't how it the labour market works. There are loads of jobs that are easier and more furfilling than a lot of low paid work which pay a lot more. There is little natural justice involved in economic distribution. "Knowing your worth" is just pychological class struggle that is meant to pacify workers. You are "worth" whatever you can get away with. If these workers increase thier leverage and bargining power by organising they increase the value of thier labour.

You can have solidaraity strikes where workers in the same sector or totally different areas go on strike as well. The ultimate version of this is a general strike. You don't even need to have labour that can be withdrawn, anyone can do stuff like block a road.

I didn't say this was how the labour market works.

This isn't a solidarity strike.
Reply 35
Original post by Just my opinion
The question for any employer is can they get more than £15 an hours worth of work out of them and make whatever they consider a worthwhile profit on top of £15.

The alternative will be more mechanisation.
Lots of economists point to how if they're not careful, increasing the minimum wage can lead to the workers earning less.

Surely theres a finite limit to how many soggy burgers you can flip?
Original post by CoolCavy

People who say things like this are usually the first to moan when eastern european migrants come and 'steal all our jobs' aka the low paid jobs that noone wants to do.

Would rep, cant rep prsom :frown:
Reply 36
Original post by Bang Outta Order

Asking for high wage is stupid. They are uneducated and don't know what to ask for.

Not condescending at all :rolleyes:

You can have solidaraity strikes where workers in the same sector or totally different areas go on strike as well. The ultimate version of this is a general strike. You don't even need to have labour that can be withdrawn, anyone can do stuff like block a road

If everyone started striking for £100ph then what?

Your argument is completely non-sense. Like I have stated; that salary amounts to over £30,000 a year. Currently, junior doctors are on £28,000 so Mcdonalds workers believe they provide more to society than JDs. This is what happens when idiotic morons start believing the non-sense spouted by people like Corbyn.

Would be funny when Mcdonalds sacks each and every single one of them hires agency workers to work for less. Then theyll be back to earning £8ph
I can sympathise with the consistent hours issue, when I used to work there I’d get 15 hours a week max and when you’re a broke student it’s not a lot. £15ph is begging it though when nurses don’t even make that an hour
Most universities tend to recommend not to work more than 16 hours a week. Mcdonalds are probably doing students a favour by not letting them work 40 hours pw as chances are it will have a negative impact on your degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending