The Student Room Group

British accent

Hello there folks,

I would like to ask, Firstly, what English people think about foreigners who learning English and at the same time trying to speak with British accent, is it rude or weird? Secondly, Is it possible a foreigner to With British accent?

Sorry if the question is too weird or silly just big fan of the British accent.

Thank you in advance!
Define a "British accent"? There's no such thing.
its weird and ugly
A foreigner will most likely never have a "British" accent unless they move to Britain as child.
(edited 4 years ago)
No such thing as a British accent, accent varies noticeably every 25 miles lol (true fact)
Reply 5
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Define a "British accent"? There's no such thing.

Well, what I mean by ”British accent” is general English accent.
Reply 6
Original post by Bogelles
No such thing as a British accent, accent varies noticeably every 25 miles lol (true fact)

It is true, indeed!
Reply 7
Original post by IH8Studying
its weird and ugly

Thank you kindly for your opinion.
Original post by Todorov

you can geta good british accent yeah, but we will always be able to tell that you arent british.

in terms of offensive, no, not at all, i resect it
Reply 9
I think that the accent OP is referring to is that of recieved pronunciation.
Original post by Todorov

Again, no such thing. There are loads of different regions in England, all with different accents. There's the RP accent, Estuary, cockney, MLE/roadman, Chelsea, upper class, Brummie and midlands, Black country, Bristolian, West country, Scouse, Geordie, Manc, Yorkshire, and others. Which one of these is a "general English accent"?
Reply 11
Original post by ThirdBack
you can geta good british accent yeah, but we will always be able to tell that you arent british.

in terms of offensive, no, not at all, i resect it

I am aware of the fact that a foreigner cannot be mistaken for a native speaker in speaking second language, although there are special cases.For example being born in the United Kingdom. 🇬🇧

My goal is to have very good general English accent as a foreigner. The idea about speaking like a English native came from Game of thrones - character Tywin Lanister🙈😅😂

Thank you very much for your answer.
Hahah fair enough, Charles Dance is a good actor. May I ask where you are from?
Original post by Todorov
I am aware of the fact that a foreigner cannot be mistaken for a native speaker in speaking second language, although there are special cases.For example being born in the United Kingdom. 🇬🇧

My goal is to have very good general English accent as a foreigner. The idea about speaking like a English native came from Game of thrones - character Tywin Lanister🙈😅😂

Thank you very much for your answer.

You will still not have an English accent, you will have a foreign accent.
Reply 14
Again, no such thing. There are loads of different regions in England, all with different accents. There's the RP accent, Estuary, cockney, MLE/roadman, Chelsea, upper class, Brummie and midlands, Black country, Bristolian, West country, Scouse, Geordie, Manc, Yorkshire, and others. Which one of these is a "general English accent"?

Once more, sorry for my vague question. Received Pronunciation Was what I meant.

Thank you.
Original post by Todorov
Once more, sorry for my vague question. Received Pronunciation Was what I meant.

Thank you.

No worries, I'm just being pedantic really, I knew what you meant but the phrase "British/English accent" irks me lol.

To answer your question, when someone who isn't English tries to put on an English accent, it's so obvious and sounds bad, even most trained actors can't manage it. Research suggests that if the average person moves to a different country after the age of 14, they'll never drop their original accent.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Todorov
Hello there folks,

I would like to ask, Firstly, what English people think about foreigners who learning English and at the same time trying to speak with British accent, is it rude or weird? Secondly, Is it possible a foreigner to With British accent?

Sorry if the question is too weird or silly just big fan of the British accent.

Thank you in advance!

Definitely not rude. If anything I'm really impressed if a foreigner speaks English without a (or with only a slight) foreign accent. It just makes me jealous that I can't do the same in a foreign language!

The thing I love most, though, is when foreign people use British regional dialect words or British idioms, with or without an accent. That's true integration. I used to know a guy who spoke exactly like he was from the South Wales valleys but with a Moroccan accent. Foreign footballers are classic examples. Jan Molby, Ole Gunnar Solksjaer and Roberto Martinez spring to mind.
Reply 17
No worries, I'm just being pedantic really, I knew what you meant but the phrase "British/English accent" irks me lol.

To answer your question, when someone who isn't English tries to put on an English accent, it's so obvious and sounds bad, even most trained actors can't manage it. Research suggests that if the average person moves to a different country after the age of 14, they'll never drop their original accent.

Fair point about the actor and I agree!
I have decided to ask such a question here to see different options, which might be helpful.

Thank you for the opinion!
Reply 18
Original post by Mallet
Definitely not rude. If anything I'm really impressed if a foreigner speaks English without a (or with only a slight) foreign accent. It just makes me jealous that I can't do the same in a foreign language!

The thing I love most, though, is when foreign people use British regional dialect words or British idioms, with or without an accent. That's true integration. I used to know a guy who spoke exactly like he was from the South Wales valleys but with a Moroccan accent. Foreign footballers are classic examples. Jan Molby, Ole Gunnar Solksjaer and Roberto Martinez spring to mind.

I have met people who speak English so well almost like a native, however, still the foreign accent could be hear. I would like to speak as much as it is possible like a native for a foreigner.

Thank you very much!
Original post by Todorov

Thank you.

RP would most definitely mark you out as foreign!

Quick Reply

Latest