The Student Room Group

Going 75 in a 70.

Hi all, was driving to work this morning and overtaking on the motorway. Flashed from a speed camera, but checked my speedometer afterwards and it was only showing 71/2, so I presume I was only going around 74.

Has this happened to others before? What are the chances of this being 3 points and a fine. I had previously believed the 10% +-2 rule but it is not law just guidelines.

Anyone have any clue about the likelihood of a fine and points when going 75 or less?
Reply 1
Original post by NathanFenton
Hi all, was driving to work this morning and overtaking on the motorway. Flashed from a speed camera, but checked my speedometer afterwards and it was only showing 71/2, so I presume I was only going around 74.

Has this happened to others before? What are the chances of this being 3 points and a fine. I had previously believed the 10% +-2 rule but it is not law just guidelines.

Anyone have any clue about the likelihood of a fine and points when going 75 or less?

Are you sure of the following:
- the speed limit was 70
- the flash was from BEHIND you
- you were not significantly over 70
- the flash was not for someone else
Original post by NathanFenton

If you went 75 on the motorway, you will be fine as far as speed cameras go. The speed awareness course CAN (ie each police force and scenario is different) be given up to 86mph, if it went off it will have been for a different car.
Reply 3
Original post by mnot
If you went 75 on the motorway, you will be fine as far as speed cameras go.

Not necessarily.
The answer to all speed camera threads ever is "we don't know, you'll have to wait and find out".
Original post by IWMTom
I'm going to recommend to the CT (or whatever name they prefer to identify with these days.. ****ing snowflakes..) that you be our resident "we don't know, you'll have to wait and find out"erer.

I swear I’m gonna make one grumpy thread about it, get it stickied, then point everyone to it.
Reply 6
Original post by Admit-One
I swear I’m gonna make one grumpy thread about it, get it stickied, then point everyone to it.

I tried that with my cheap car insurance thread. No one bothered to check it.
Personally I want the ability to reply to threads without reading them, no one else, just me. I think it would save a lot of my time and take time from others.
Original post by IWMTom
Are you sure of the following:
- the speed limit was 70
- the flash was from BEHIND you
- you were not significantly over 70
- the flash was not for someone else

Im pretty sure if he was doing even 71mph it would go off. I’ve read online people have been done for going 2mph over.
Reply 9
Original post by J0n3zviper
Im pretty sure if he was doing even 71mph it would go off. I’ve read online people have been done for going 2mph over.

Not the case from a fixed camera.
Original post by Admit-One

If we took this to its logical conclusion, we could just stick each forum and close TSR. If you recommend this, could you add:

Stickies.

No, getting an 8 in a sea of 9s doesn't mean that you'll end up on the tills in Asda

Yes, 5'11" is probably tall enough

There are more careers than Medicine or Law

He's just not that into you.

There are more universities than Oxford and Cambridge

Do your own homework.

Original post by IWMTom
Not the case from a fixed camera.

So a police speed cam could nab you for going over by 1mph but a fixed won’t? Surely logic says the rules should be the same for both?
Reply 12
Original post by J0n3zviper
So a police speed cam could nab you for going over by 1mph but a fixed won’t? Surely logic says the rules should be the same for both?

Depends on the force. Mobile cameras tend to be stricter than static cameras.

ALWAYS slow down for a mobile camera, not as necessary for a static.
Reply 13
Original post by Reality Check
If we took this to its logical conclusion, we could just stick each forum and close TSR. If you recommend this, could you add:

Stickies.

No, getting an 8 in a sea of 9s doesn't mean that you'll end up on the tills in Asda

Yes, 5'11" is probably tall enough

There are more careers than Medicine or Law

He's just not that into you.

There are more universities than Oxford and Cambridge

Do your own homework.

Yes, leaving Islam is fine.
No, we don't want to see photos of your feet Mark.
Barcodes do not set off alarms.
Yes, he's probably cheating on you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending