The Student Room Group

Personal Statement

(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 176
Hello, I am writing a maths personal statement, and want to include as part of my other hobbies, my guitar playing and the patterns in music. Is it ok to mention the name of a song as an example of pieces that I appreciate? In this case, it would be "Hangar 18" by Megadeth, or would I get in trouble with Universal Music Group?

No, how does this relate to WHY you want to study mathematics?

A personal statement is there to show WHY you want to study XYZ subject only. Hobbies need not be mentioned.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Blue_Cow
No, how does this relate to WHY you want to study mathematics?

A personal statement is there to show WHY you want to study XYZ subject only. Hobbies need not be mentioned.

It's complicated, because there are specific problems I have with handwriting that cost me previous exams and I want to show that I have overcome them. Also, I don't have many other hobbies to write about.
Reply 3
Also, there is a very big link between patterns in melody and music and Mathematics, Mathematicians tend to be good musicians.
Original post by 176
It's complicated, because there are specific problems I have with handwriting that cost me previous exams and I want to show that I have overcome them. Also, I don't have many other hobbies to write about.

If you have extenuating circumstances, these are to be mentioned in your reference, not your PS.

You don't have to show how you've overcome your problems, you just need to demonstrate why you want to study maths.

Original post by 176
Also, there is a very big link between patterns in melody and music and Mathematics, Mathematicians tend to be good musicians.

This is an extremely tenuous link to why you want to study mathematics. I suggest you don't include this...
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
If you have extenuating circumstances, these are to be mentioned in your reference, not your PS.

You don't have to show how you've overcome your problems, you just need to demonstrate why you want to study maths.

This is an extremely tenuous link to why you want to study mathematics. I suggest you don't include this...

Not include my playing guitar or the specific example of good melody? Because every 5 star personal statement out there has people mentioning their hobbies e.g Kickboxing (this one got all 5 offers including Oxford), Spanish etc... And there is a MUCH bigger link to Mathematics in music than Spanish or Kickboxing
Reply 6
All I want to know is if it will get me in copyright trouble with UMG just for mentioning the name and creator of the song
Original post by 176
Not include my playing guitar or the specific example of good melody? Because every 5 star personal statement out there has people mentioning their hobbies e.g Kickboxing (this one got all 5 offers including Oxford), Spanish etc... And there is a MUCH bigger link to Mathematics in music than Spanish or Kickboxing

You can choose whether or not to accept the fact that a personal statement is there to explain why you want to study mathematics, that is up to you :smile: I have made my position clear.

Original post by 176
All I want to know is if it will get me in copyright trouble with UMG just for mentioning the name and creator of the song

No, it won't...
Reply 8
You can choose whether or not to accept the fact that a personal statement is there to explain why you want to study mathematics, that is up to you :smile: I have made my position clear.

No, it won't...

That's good to hear. I just want to make my PS pretty unique. Thanks.
Hey, I don’t agree with the above advice you’ve been given.. I think it’s great to mention your hobbies, especially when they are linked to mathematics (and I was an A Level maths student while being a member of the senior girls choir so I can appreciate the correlation). Definitely mention the guitar but the names and creators of the song are irrelevant and don’t need to be mentioned.. I’d leave it out just in case it causes problems.. Maybe if you have an interview you could talk further about the music you play and composers etc
Reply 10
Original post by haleema97x
Hey, I don’t agree with the above advice you’ve been given.. I think it’s great to mention your hobbies, especially when they are linked to mathematics (and I was an A Level maths student while being a member of the senior girls choir so I can appreciate the correlation). Definitely mention the guitar but the names and creators of the song are irrelevant and don’t need to be mentioned.. I’d leave it out just in case it causes problems.. Maybe if you have an interview you could talk further about the music you play and composers etc

Thanks, I will do some more research and think about whether I will add an example of specific melodies I like.
Reply 11
Original post by haleema97x

But I see what you are saying to not mention song names since there seems to be a misunderstanding about metal music and how it "lacks melody" compared to Bach, Beethoven, etc.. especially at academic places, where they seem to turn their noses up to it. As Dave Mustaine said "if Vivaldi had a distortion pedal, he would probably be in Megadeth" (if he was alive) :smile:
You don't need to worry about the PS being unique as long as it is genuine and related to your academic interest in your course choice
I'll be writing a ps for mechanical engineering and want advice on how to link in my passion for art. Can I use the fact that mechanical engineers use structural designs or would that be a bit of a stretch?
Original post by MetricHarmony28
I'll be writing a ps for mechanical engineering and want advice on how to link in my passion for art. Can I use the fact that mechanical engineers use structural designs or would that be a bit of a stretch?

Why are you linking it to a passion for art if you can't find an appropriate reason?
not sure on what else to write about
not sure on what else to write about

Your PS should focus on why you want to study mech engineering. What are you interested in?
I really just enjoy maths, i enjoy solving complex problems that require logic.

I enjoy the pure and mechanics side in maths but hate statistics. I have an interest in robotics and creating new technologies that can be useful in the future. I also love cars and would love to learn about the engine and how it works.

I also like helping people, I've done a week of work experience at a pharmacy as well as volunteering for a charity helping out at street collections and different events.

I don't know how to make this an entire personal statement.
I really just enjoy maths, i enjoy solving complex problems that require logic.

I enjoy the pure and mechanics side in maths but hate statistics. I have an interest in robotics and creating new technologies that can be useful in the future. I also love cars and would love to learn about the engine and how it works.

I also like helping people, I've done a week of work experience at a pharmacy as well as volunteering for a charity helping out at street collections and different events.

I don't know how to make this an entire personal statement.

A good PS mentions extra reading/watching lectures etc. that relate to areas of interest in the subject, so talk about robotics and cars etc. and why they interest you
Thanks,

So what about the work experience and volunteering, if i can't link it to mechanical engineering, it's still worth using it to show i can work well in a team and present the fact that i have good interpersonal skills right? I do want to include details that make me seem less interested.

I also did the UCAT, i'm not going to include that in my personal statement because it has nothing to do with the course, i was just wondering if it can be used for anything like a reference since i did quite well.

Original post by Interrobang
A good PS mentions extra reading/watching lectures etc. that relate to areas of interest in the subject, so talk about robotics and cars etc. and why they interest you

Quick Reply