The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i am :frown:
Original post by MIRIMOO
i am :frown:

yay finally someones else is. why the sad face?
Reply 3
Original post by medoc
yay finally someones else is. why the sad face?

Nerves ig, Im pessimistic and lowkey convinced I won't get in.

How's the application going?
Oh me too, like my grades aren't amazing plus what the heck do I do with the video thingy. tbh I started the application but I still need to talk to my parents about submitting it and letting me apply. Dw you'll be fine, let's just have faith
Reply 5
Good luck to us then,,
my grades and extracurriculars are average too tbh,
the video thing has simple instructions don't worry, and hopefully your parents let you go as its a cool opportunity
i just gotta get my application done, I just need to get the video done and those essays
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi both! I'm Chris and I'm in Cohort 8 of the Sutton Trust US Programme.

First of all, I want to say that you should 100% apply. The programme really is life changing. Just three months ago, I spent a week in New York and surrounding states, staying at Yale University. Along the way, I have met so many inspiring people and learnt so much about studying in the US. I've just applied to my top choice university in the US and am anxiously awaiting a decision!

If either of you (and anyone else that sees the thread) would like to ask any questions, feel free to ask me!
I wanted to apply so badly as I heard about it through a guy who was in my school 3 years ago who did the programme (he’s at Harvard now!) but I had already signed up to a 4 week charity expedition in Tanzania during the summer and the expedition will 99% run over the dates of both the US programmes so, there’s no point in me applying. I was really gutted about this.
Original post by ChrisTheStudent1
Hi both! I'm Chris and I'm in Cohort 8 of the Sutton Trust US Programme.

First of all, I want to say that you should 100% apply. The programme really is life changing. Just three months ago, I spent a week in New York and surrounding states, staying at Yale University. Along the way, I have met so many inspiring people and learnt so much about studying in the US. I've just applied to my top choice university in the US and am anxiously awaiting a decision!

If either of you (and anyone else that sees the thread) would like to ask any questions, feel free to ask me!

wow amazing! so glad you got in and enjoyed it. How did you do your video interview? did you have to say things to make yourself look good? Also how did they determine who got to go to which state? I know that have 4 places

Good luck with your application! I'm sure you'll get into the uni!
Original post by ArabLlama
I wanted to apply so badly as I heard about it through a guy who was in my school 3 years ago who did the programme (he’s at Harvard now!) but I had already signed up to a 4 week charity expedition in Tanzania during the summer and the expedition will 99% run over the dates of both the US programmes so, there’s no point in me applying. I was really gutted about this.

oh that is a shame, but you're still doing something for an amazing cause that will help people, that's amazing and I hope the charity programme is really rewarding for you :smile:
Original post by medoc
oh that is a shame, but you're still doing something for an amazing cause that will help people, that's amazing and I hope the charity programme is really rewarding for you :smile:

Yeah I am really excited for it, I hope no one takes my first message the wrong way 😂😂. I was just hoping to get an experience of American universities. I guess I could always hope to get a placement from here
Original post by medoc
wow amazing! so glad you got in and enjoyed it. How did you do your video interview? did you have to say things to make yourself look good? Also how did they determine who got to go to which state? I know that have 4 places

Good luck with your application! I'm sure you'll get into the uni!

Hi medoc,

To make my video interview, I just used my phone propped up on a few books at the end of my bed - you’d don’t need any professional equipment! I think when I did mine there was about 3/4 questions to respond to in a set time. I thought about my responses before and tried to split my time so that I answered each question thoroughly.

There’s no need to say anything to make you look good. Just sell yourself for who you are! Be enthusiastic about your achievement and passionate about what excites you!

The weeks in the States are assigned randomly and from speaking to my friends on the programme, they’re all brilliant!
Hi medoc,

To make my video interview, I just used my phone propped up on a few books at the end of my bed - you’d don’t need any professional equipment! I think when I did mine there was about 3/4 questions to respond to in a set time. I thought about my responses before and tried to split my time so that I answered each question thoroughly.

There’s no need to say anything to make you look good. Just sell yourself for who you are! Be enthusiastic about your achievement and passionate about what excites you!

The weeks in the States are assigned randomly and from speaking to my friends on the programme, they’re all brilliant!

thanks for the info! I just wanted to ask what did you write about for the unjust law bit?
Original post by medoc
thanks for the info! I just wanted to ask what did you write about for the unjust law bit?

I think I wrote about my belief that legislation restricting 16 and 17 year olds from voting is unjust
[QUOTE="ChrisTheStudent1;85983540"]I think I wrote about my belief that legislation restricting 16 and 17 year olds from voting is unjust[/QUOTE

oh good one,
I think I wrote about my belief that legislation restricting 16 and 17 year olds from voting is unjust

oh good one, I still need to think of one
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 16
Hi all,
My name is Sam, and I am currently in my second year in the US, after being in Cohort 6.
Happy to answer any questions you might have!
Hi everyone a Cohort 8 member here. I did the programme last year and absolutely LOVED IT. I am now in the process of applying to the US. If you have any questions feel free to ask. It is an amazing opportunity and if you eligible pleaseeeee apply :smile:))
Reply 18
Hey everyone! I’m a member from cohort 8 (2018-19). I was accepted for the program in March, and worked hard with the program and the requirements before heading to Boston in the summer! I enjoyed my time on the program so much that I now talk to students (especially welsh students) about the program and some advice. Feel free to ask any questions!
Original post by livbond
Hi, another cohort 8 member here! #BostonBestWeek! I participated in part 1 but decided to take the UK route instead, after realising America wasn’t for me. The programme were so, so, so supportive of my decision and set me up on an alumni network with every Sutton member ever since it started. I recently secured a Law interview at Trinity College, Cambridge too, so if anyone has any questions about the UK route and what to do if you’re unsure - let me know!!

insta - @livbond_
https://youtu.be/LxTKGy0h_F8

Also, if you dm me on instagram, I can send my application video if anyone’s nervous about that part!

Good luck!!!

what made you decide that America wasn't suitable

Latest