The Student Room Group

OU Student - Maintenance Loan - Mental Health

Good Afternoon,

I am seeking some advice regarding a Maintenance Loan for distance study.

I started my Bachelor Of Laws (Honours) in October this year and I am doing it with the OU due to mental health issues that affect me attending a normal uni. I have severe anxiety and moderately severe depression and have struggled with this for a number of years as per my medical records, but it was exacerbated by being the victim of a violent crime last year which has increased my anxiety.

I find it hard to leave the house and basically can’t alone due to severe anxiety and panic attacks in public. That is the main issue with normal study amongst other day to day affects.

I’ve submitted a letter from my GP along with a letter from Healthy Minds explaining my issues. The Healthy Minds letter states that it is affecting my day to day life as I find it difficult to leave my house, particularly alone. And for this reason I’ve had to have CBT from home rather that at group sessions.

The evidence has been accepted and I’ve been passed for DSA. When I spoke to an advisor about my maintenance loan prior to this they said if I meet the criteria with DSA I will also meet it with maintenance. I’ve called today to chase and been told no, this is not true. I’ve done some googling and read other people who are DSA eligible but have really struggled with maintenance.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge regarding this that can give me an indication as to whether I will qualify under these circumstances?

I’ve read posts from people who’ve had to prove they’ve tried other on campus unis etc, but I’ve not been asked for anything like this and it’s pointless as unless they’d allow me to study from home I’d not be able to attend.

Thank you in advance for your help!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Jazzyfizzle89
Good Afternoon,

I am seeking some advice regarding a Maintenance Loan for distance study.

I started my Bachelor Of Laws (Honours) in October this year and I am doing it with the OU due to mental health issues that affect me attending a normal uni. I have severe anxiety and moderately severe depression and have struggled with this for a number of years as per my medical records, but it was exacerbated by being the victim of a violent crime last year which has increased my anxiety.

I find it hard to leave the house and basically can’t alone due to severe anxiety and panic attacks in public. That is the main issue with normal study amongst other day to day affects.

I’ve submitted a letter from my GP along with a letter from Healthy Minds explaining my issues. The Healthy Minds letter states that it is affecting my day to day life as I find it difficult to leave my house, particularly alone. And for this reason I’ve had to have CBT from home rather that at group sessions.

The evidence has been accepted and I’ve been passed for DSA. When I spoke to an advisor about my maintenance loan prior to this they said if I meet the criteria with DSA I will also meet it with maintenance. I’ve called today to chase and been told no, this is not true. I’ve done some googling and read other people who are DSA eligible but have really struggled with maintenance.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge regarding this that can give me an indication as to whether I will qualify under these circumstances?

I’ve read posts from people who’ve had to prove they’ve tried other on campus unis etc, but I’ve not been asked for anything like this and it’s pointless as unless they’d allow me to study from home I’d not be able to attend.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Hello,

Open University students are eligible to Tuition Fee’s only. However, as of 18/19 new students who are studying a Distance Learning course due to a disability maybe eligible to the Part Time Maintenance Loan, we would require the following evidence:

Medical evidence from your GP or Consultant confirming your condition prevents you from travelling to/from your university, as well as physically attending.
Evidence that you have had discussions with multiple universities about the facilities available, accessibility and why the universities cannot accommodate your requirements. This could be in the form of emails/correspondence between you and the universities.
Written confirmation from you on how your condition impacts your day-to-day life
Evidence from you showing how you support yourself financially i.e. benefits/employment

Thanks, Lynsey.
Original post by Lynsey SFE
Hello,

Open University students are eligible to Tuition Fee’s only. However, as of 18/19 new students who are studying a Distance Learning course due to a disability maybe eligible to the Part Time Maintenance Loan, we would require the following evidence:

Medical evidence from your GP or Consultant confirming your condition prevents you from travelling to/from your university, as well as physically attending.
Evidence that you have had discussions with multiple universities about the facilities available, accessibility and why the universities cannot accommodate your requirements. This could be in the form of emails/correspondence between you and the universities.
Written confirmation from you on how your condition impacts your day-to-day life
Evidence from you showing how you support yourself financially i.e. benefits/employment

Thanks, Lynsey.

I’ve supplied all of the above, except how I support myself and conversations with other Unis.

I wasn’t asked in the letter requesting evidence to send these, however when applying for Tuition Fees I stated I live with my partner and he provided the necessary permissions to assess his income for relevant tax year- I subsequently passed for tuition loan in full so can only assume this was adequate and we were below the threshold as we had thought.

I’ve not applied to on Campus Unis, I of course looked at them (I.e Wolverhampton) but they require a physical attendance and don’t offer home based materials in place of attendance. This is apparent without having to apply or enquire, they simply aren’t that kind of Uni, this is why Unis like OU exist. Because I have severe anxiety and panic attacks and therefore rarely leave home, particularly alone since the attack it seemed nonsensical to therefore make applications to Unis requiring a physical attendance. Is this evidence therefore really going to be asked for given the fact it’s obviously just a waste of both mine and any on Campus Unis time corresponding about it? And if so why was it not asked for me initially as it’s just wasted time if it’s now asked months later.

Thanks, Jasmine.
I’ve supplied all of the above, except how I support myself and conversations with other Unis.

I wasn’t asked in the letter requesting evidence to send these, however when applying for Tuition Fees I stated I live with my partner and he provided the necessary permissions to assess his income for relevant tax year- I subsequently passed for tuition loan in full so can only assume this was adequate and we were below the threshold as we had thought.

I’ve not applied to on Campus Unis, I of course looked at them (I.e Wolverhampton) but they require a physical attendance and don’t offer home based materials in place of attendance. This is apparent without having to apply or enquire, they simply aren’t that kind of Uni, this is why Unis like OU exist. Because I have severe anxiety and panic attacks and therefore rarely leave home, particularly alone since the attack it seemed nonsensical to therefore make applications to Unis requiring a physical attendance. Is this evidence therefore really going to be asked for given the fact it’s obviously just a waste of both mine and any on Campus Unis time corresponding about it? And if so why was it not asked for me initially as it’s just wasted time if it’s now asked months later.

Thanks, Jasmine.

Hello Jasmine,

I would suggest sending us a message through Facebook or Twitter so we can look in to your application.
Facebook PM Link- http://m.me/SFEngland
Twitter DM Link- http://ow.ly/749530mWwge

Thanks, Lynsey.
E0EE8344-ED9A-4082-8F84-F38E7645489B.pngThis is what was requested from me. The correspondence about physical attendance is very much worded as optional. Had it been required I’d have had the conversations for the sake of it and got it to start with 🤷
E0EE8344-ED9A-4082-8F84-F38E7645489B.pngThis is what was requested from me. The correspondence about physical attendance is very much worded as optional. Had it been required I’d have had the conversations for the sake of it and got it to start with 🤷

Hello Jasmine,

In order to can give you a more definitive answer on your eligibility to the Part Time Maintenance Loan, it would be best to send us a PM or DM.

Thanks, Lynsey.
Original post by Lynsey SFE
Hello Jasmine,

In order to can give you a more definitive answer on your eligibility to the Part Time Maintenance Loan, it would be best to send us a PM or DM.

Thanks, Lynsey.

Hi Lynsey, I’ve now had maintenance granted for this academic year. And have had an email confirming this which says a letter with my tuition and maintenance loan will follow. Do you know how long I’d be looking at now for payment given the first payment ordinarily would have been 15 October on my original schedule? I’m without a laptop at the moment as mine has broken, DSA have granted me one but I need to pay the first £200 so ideally need my maintenance payment ASAP to do this, so just wondered what time scale I’d be looking at.
Thank you!
Hi Lynsey, I’ve now had maintenance granted for this academic year. And have had an email confirming this which says a letter with my tuition and maintenance loan will follow. Do you know how long I’d be looking at now for payment given the first payment ordinarily would have been 15 October on my original schedule? I’m without a laptop at the moment as mine has broken, DSA have granted me one but I need to pay the first £200 so ideally need my maintenance payment ASAP to do this, so just wondered what time scale I’d be looking at.
Thank you!

Hello Jasmine,

It would be best to check your online account for updates.

https://logon.slc.co.uk

Thanks, Chanel
Reply 8
I’m struggling to get the right evidence, my doctor wasn’t detailed enough in his letter about my mental health and they’re saying they need a mental health professional to write the letter for me now, can I ask how you managed to get accepted?
Original post by Cgg108
I’m struggling to get the right evidence, my doctor wasn’t detailed enough in his letter about my mental health and they’re saying they need a mental health professional to write the letter for me now, can I ask how you managed to get accepted?

Hello,

I would suggest sending us a live chat/secure message, we can then provide the correct guideance.

Thanks, Lynsey.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending