The Student Room Group

Unpopular Games you love

I think Championship Manager was massively underrated by people.

Scroll to see replies

Mass Effect: Andromeda :yep:
Diddy Kong Racing for N64 was very nice, but also very tough to play, so I gave up. So I understand why it was so unpopular.
You ever lost?
I don't watch trailers or follow hype, so any game that got ruined by overblown hype - Watch Dogs, No Man's Sky etc.

Original post by FemaleinDress
I think Championship Manager was massively underrated by people.

Championship Manager was so successful and popular that it created an unsurpassable monopoly on the genre and is used by actual football clubs and scouts...
Reply 5
I don't usually play unpopular games, because I tend to go by reviews before deciding if i'lll buy them. Buying games without knowing anything about them is extremely risky...

However there are 2 games that make my list.

Crime Killer on ps1. I had recently bought my ps1 and was too skint to buy anything else so bought it off my friend for a fiver. It was a police car chaser type of game. I enjoyed it, ...but the game didn't sell very well.

next game Puzzle quest. Had never heard of this game or anything but it was supposed to be an rpg game with a battling system like columns. i downloaded the psp iso and was actually quite impressed with gameplay. A very underated game imo. They need to put out demo's of these types of games ...because it is not a game I would have typically been drawn to
Original post by ANM775
I don't usually play unpopular games, because I tend to go by reviews before deciding if i'lll buy them. Buying games without knowing anything about them is extremely risky...

Buying games just by reviews is also extremely risky. Professional reviews just hand high scores to all the AAA titles and can miss the mark with the rest or not match your opinion, user reviews are reactionary and great games can have awful scores because of some hermit bandwagon or because it had bugs on release.
Reply 7
Original post by ozzyoscy
Buying games just by reviews is also extremely risky. Professional reviews just hand high scores to all the AAA titles and can miss the mark with the rest or not match your opinion, user reviews are reactionary and great games can have awful scores because of some hermit bandwagon or because it had bugs on release.

I know, the later Resident Evil games got good reviews [but I didn't like them]

I mean, no game is going to get 100% of people liking it

but If I see a game and like 80% of people are rating it in the 8 to 10 range, then i'd rather take a chance buying it than buying a game completely at random [having done no research to see what people think of it] or buying a game that rubbish review from most people/places ...as chances are, if most other people didn't like it ... i probably won't like it too .......but yeah there are some things out there where you as a person will disagree with the mass opinion and that is one danger of relying on reviews.

With the film Terminator Genesis, I actually quite enjoyed it and thought it was a pretty good film. I'm baffled tbh as to why everyone hated it, and was disappointed when they announced there would be no sequel.
Is subnautica unpopular? I really enjoy playing it
Original post by ANM775
I know, the later Resident Evil games got good reviews [but I didn't like them]

I mean, no game is going to get 100% of people liking it

but If I see a game and like 80% of people are rating it in the 8 to 10 range, then i'd rather take a chance buying it than buying a game completely at random [having done no research to see what people think of it] or buying a game that rubbish review from most people/places ...as chances are, if most other people didn't like it ... i probably won't like it too .......but yeah there are some things out there where you as a person will disagree with the mass opinion and that is one danger of relying on reviews.

With the film Terminator Genesis, I actually quite enjoyed it and thought it was a pretty good film. I'm baffled tbh as to why everyone hated it, and was disappointed when they announced there would be no sequel.

I look up a video of gameplay. I just put the name of the game followed by 'longplay' or 'part 3' (so it'll be after the start, which is often purposefully the best part of game) and I can see for myself.
Terminator: Salvation (the video game from 2009). It's a third-person cover-based shooter set two years before the events of Terminator: Salvation movie (which I also enjoyed). I loved the post-apocalyptic atmosphere of the game and fighting Skynet terminators in the L.A. ruins. You play as John Connor, the future human resistance leader on a mission to rescue soldiers trapped behind enemy lines. You'll fight various killing machines patrolling the streets of L.A. while looking for survivors of Judgement Day (nuclear war). What made those fights interesting is that terminators feel truly powerful. You can't simply shoot them, bullets are mostly ineffective against them. Each terminator type has a unique weak spot. You must strategically flank them by working with your allies in order to destroy the machines.

At Terminator: Salvation release, people complained that it was way too short and that's true. You can beat it in 4 hours. In my eyes, that's the biggest flaw this game has, however that only confirms it was really good because you want it to last longer. Another thing people picked up on was the lack of variety of enemy types. You fight like 5 types of terminators throughout the game: wasps, spiders, endos, T-600, and in on-the-rail sequences moto-terminators as well as HK's. However, the lack of variety added to the realism of the game. Why would Skynet develop a large variety of terminators? It would make sense that it would save resources and just flood the L.A. streets with copy/paste terminators made in automated factories.

The game cost 60 dollars at the time of its release and it's definitely not worth that much. It had a short campaign and no multiplayer, even though it featured 2 player local co-op. Christian Bale didn't return to voice John Connor and the weapon variety could be bigger. But as I said before - these "flaws" of the game only point out that people wanted more of it because it was really fun and the way you had to fight enemies by exploiting their weak spots was unique. In the end, I'm not blind to the flaws of this movie-licensed game but they don't stop me from enjoying it. It's personally one of my most favorite 3rd person shooters. It had tension, it had post-apocalyptic atmosphere, it had the humans vs. machines sci-fi setting, I love it all.
Streets of Rage 3
Voltron
Strider (2014)
Army of Two games, Resident Evil 6 are quite enjoyable, but don't exactly love these.
Reply 12
life
Reply 13
Original post by noggins
Streets of Rage 3

the music was terrible in this game. such a let-down

I hope when streets of rage 4 arrives the music is back on point. I enjoyed the first two, but with the new one still in the 2D style im not sure how it will stack up in this day and age as 2d games arn't really a thing anymore.

Then again, the saying does go "if i ain't broke, don't fix it.." ... I mean look what happened to Sonic......
Resi 6 is so amazing I ****ing love it.

Never touched the campaign but it looks like a fun romp but mercenaries mode HOLY ****

Also I guess weird niche Japanese games most people would not like like Illbleed could be considered unpopular
Original post by gjd800
life

Real life? yeah, I know what you mean. The 3D graphic is awesome :thumbsup:, but the plot is a great ****. :poo:
Imperator: Rome.

I don't care what people say about how empty and unbalanced it is. As long as I get to have bald children running the Seleucid Empire, I'm happy.
Don’t know if they are unpopular maybe just old but I loved hogs of war on ps1 and heart of darkness, such good games
fortnite no cap i love to dab on them haters i do take the L after that i just do the floss when they will be hating.
Original post by ANM775
the music was terrible in this game. such a let-down

I hope when streets of rage 4 arrives the music is back on point. I enjoyed the first two, but with the new one still in the 2D style im not sure how it will stack up in this day and age as 2d games arn't really a thing anymore.

Then again, the saying does go "if i ain't broke, don't fix it.." ... I mean look what happened to Sonic......

Yeah, i hear ya. But we can't dispute 2D gaming has made a huge revival over past decade via digital downloads. Have you been following SOR4 progression with the recently announced composers? What's the solution to its gameplay? would you want the studio to bring out a 3D brawler instead?

Quick Reply

Latest